Pregnant and overweight

Options
I am 14 weeks pregnant and roughly 80 pounds overweight. So far I haven't gained any weight, which my doctor is fine with! I have already talked to her about how much weight I should gain or if I can lose weight. I was told for ME that no weight gain would be ok and losing up to 30 pounds would be ok.

My stats-30 years old 5'7" and 245lbs

Ive been at 245lbs for about a year now since having my baby boy in June 2013. When I found out I was pregnant this time I did not want to go thru the gestational diabetes, edema, and other issues I had last time due to being overweright. Yes I know I should have been working on it before getting pregnant again (Shoulda, coulda, woulda) but I didn't. I am working on what I can now to start a healthier lifestyle for myself and my family. Im starting by walking (or getting close to) 10,000 steps a day. So far I haven't hit 10,000, Ive gotten close at 8,500. I walk my 15 minute breaks at work (twice a day) and 10 minutes out of my lunch break. I also take my dog out for a walk at night for another 15 minutes. I started weighing and measuring my food again, quit drinking pop and juices, upped my water intake (I drink about 3 liters a day), and I still enjoy sweet treats because to me saying I cant have something makes no sense...id rather have it in small amounts (everything in moderation).

Looking for some like minded MFP friends to trade tips and recipes with and for motivation and support through pregnancy and after.

Replies

• Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    Hi, congrats on your pregnancy! I deliver babies everyday so have a special interest in your post! Firstly, your doctor is quite correct and yes you can go through this pregnancy without gaining weight. I've had a lot of girls do this and they have done so well. Have they referred you to a dietitian? I don't know where you live but it might be worth asking about as they could help you out heaps. It's a fantastic opportunity when your pregnant to get into some really healthy habits. You sound like you're doing really great. I love the step thing. And I also agree with everything in moderation otherwise your just setting yourself up to fail. But like I said it would be great to get some expert advice from a dietitian at this stage if it's available to you. Congrats again :-)
  • celtic_thistle
    celtic_thistle Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi and congrats! I went through a pregnancy recently while overweight and only gained about 7 lb (all of it at the end; my baby weighed almost 8 lb so it wasn't fat, it was baby + fluid + placenta.) I've since lost almost 40 lb and am at the weight I was in high school. Feel free to add me!
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    That's amazing Celtic :-))))
  • MrsStarling
    Options
    I am in your same boat. I just found out last week that I am pregnant. So 5 weeks. Same as you, I am 30, but 5'11" and 270 lbs. I plan on swimming, walking, and doing some prenatal yoga. I go in for my first appointment in 2 weeks, so fingers crossed!!! This is my first pregnancy.
  • GetFit4Life13
    GetFit4Life13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can add me. I'm pregnant, due in March with my second. I have already gained too much for being overweight in the first place (25lbs!). I'm trying to only gain 10lbs or less the rest of my pregnancy.