Plateaued for three months now, HELP!

Options
When I first sign on to MFP my goal was to lose 25 lbs to get back to my weight 6 years ago. I lose 13 lbs in 6 months, and then hit a plateau. Can anyone share their story on how they break a weight loss plateau please?
A little more info: my weight's been going back and forth from 127 to 124 for the last three months. I've been doing the 1200 cal/day, but in reality it's more like 1300 cal/day. And when I do work out, I eat most of my calories back, so my diet is about 1500 - 1600 cal/day on those days. Still, I feel like I was doing that before, and the weight was coming off then, so not sure what went wrong in the last 3 months.
And before anyone judging me on the fact that I wasn't that heavy to begin with, I just want to add that I'm only 5'1". I have a right to try to be healthier too. Weight loss itself is very difficult, and I know for me I could be discouraged very easily. So please only respond if you have ideas or advice to share, no hate mail or any negative message please. Most people on MFP give each other positive feedback and encouragements, but I found that there are many negative commons on here too. Especially towards people who are not overweight, but still want to get healthier. This is why I hesitate to reach out sometimes.
I just want to say that everyone's journey to a healthier self is valid and important. I only want supportive and helpful feedbacks, so please be mindful of that. Thanks!

Replies

• PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm short, too, and I do the 1200 calories a day, too. My goal weight is 120, but I'm still 20 lbs away from that. I'm not sure if I'll hit the same wall you're fighting or not, so keep that in mind. I may not know what I'm talking about, lol.

I haven't looked at your food diary, so I'm wondering if maybe you need to change the kinds of food you're eating? Maybe focus on being sure you're eating a balanced diet and getting all your macros? You also might try purposely not eating your exercise calories back, or just try eating half of them back?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Have you decreased your calories as you have got lighter? Also, can you open your food diary up.
  • ht1211
    ht1211 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    I'm short, too, and I do the 1200 calories a day, too. My goal weight is 120, but I'm still 20 lbs away from that. I'm not sure if I'll hit the same wall you're fighting or not, so keep that in mind. I may not know what I'm talking about, lol.

I haven't looked at your food diary, so I'm wondering if maybe you need to change the kinds of food you're eating? Maybe focus on being sure you're eating a balanced diet and getting all your macros? You also might try purposely not eating your exercise calories back, or just try eating half of them back?

Thank you, I think I will try to not eat all of my exercise calories back. My problem is to stay on the 1200/day, so I've been doing some kind of exercise everyday just so I could eat over the 1200. Did you have a hard time staying on the 1200cal/day?
  • ht1211
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Have you decreased your calories as you have got lighter?
    No I haven't.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ht1211 wrote: »
    No I haven't.

That may be the issue. From your historic weight loss, your deficit was relatively small (nothing wrong with that). When you get lighter, you burn less so you often need to drop calories down.

Can you open your food diary so I can see if there is anything else that may be a factor (and I am not going to 'food police' you - its too look at your macros primarily).

• ht1211
    Options
    No I haven't.

That may be the issue. From your historic weight loss, your deficit was relatively small (nothing wrong with that). When you get lighter, you burn less so you often need to drop calories down.

Can you open your food diary so I can see if there is anything else that may be a factor (and I am not going to 'food police' you - its too look at your macros primarily).

Just did. Thanks!
  • ht1211
    Options
    You know, since both you guys brought it up, I went back and looked at my diary for the past three months, and I think I am eating too much. I guess I just let myself got away with it because considering what I'm eating, it's very healthy compare to what I used to eat. But still, the calories adds up pretty high even it's mostly healthy food! Wow! I guess I was in denial with how much I actually eat!
  • onasaz
    onasaz Posts: 19
    Options
    I might be wrong but i think by being 125 and 5 1 you burning smaller amount of calories by exercise than you think.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    No I haven't.

Just did. Thanks!

Having a quick look, there are a lot of missing and partially logged days. I would try to be as accurate as possible and log consistently. I would also try to get protein up - its very low on average. You also tend to use quite a few calories on some 'treats' (treats are not an issue generally, but these seem to take up quite a bit of your allowance). Maybe look to having smaller portions, especially if you are hungry as they are usually not that filling for the calories.