Getting back on track.

Options
In May I hit it hard for 4 months! I lost 26 lbs!!! Went on vacation in September and have lost all motivation, dedication, and determination with both exercising and eating right. The pounds are slowly starting to come back and I NEED HELP! Every night I go to bed and tell myself that tomorrow is the day...and it slips away. I know I am the only one that can make this change but I am in a slump. Have anyone else gone through this?

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I took a break for about 6 weeks when my beloved dog of 14 years passed away. I gave myself permission to wallow, eat, be lazy, whatever it took to get through it...but I also gave myself a deadline for grieving. When my time was up, it took a bit of effort to get back in the swing of things, and I had to warm up to it, but I did it.

First, you might try examining why it is that you seem to have given up. It can sometimes be difficult to ascertain your own motives, but doing so is extremely helpful. Some people find that having that layer of fat makes them feel safer. They receive less attention from strangers. They have a ready-made excuse for not doing things they don't want to do, or for failing at things they try. If they lose the weight, they no longer have that crutch to point to and blame for their failings.

Second, try baby steps. You don't have to flip a switch overnight and go from average joe to super fitness buff...just take a walk. Eat an extra serving of veggies. Whittle down your serving sizes on non-veggies, just a little at first. Skip the seconds. Skip a dessert or snack, or make a healthier selection for dessert or a snack. You don't have to do it all at once.

Third, work on your motivation. Why do you even want to lose the weight? What might help you feel motivated? For me, I keep a Pinterest board with photos of very fit women. When I work out enough to get sore, my boyfriend gives me massages. I've come to really enjoy the feeling of being a bit sore, and don't feel right if some part of my body doesn't ache a little (yeah, that's weird, but it works for me.) Maybe print some photos of yourself looking hot at your lower weight and hang them on the fridge.

Fourth, make it as easy as possible. Get a few small pieces of equipment to help you get started at home. A small set of dumbbells or exercise bands will let you do some moves while you watch TV. Do you have a dog, or a neighbor with a dog? Walking a dog can be fun and motivating to get you out and moving around. Find exercise that is enjoyable. Go dancing or skating or hiking or anything else active that you like. Do it often.
  • alnovasad35
    alnovasad35 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! Perhaps your post is all I need! I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I've been there, probably the hardest thing to go through.

I think my problem is thinking I can jump back into it from where I left off. I am going to take your advice and take baby steps again! I know EXACTLY what you are talking about when you say you enjoy the soreness feeling! I miss that. Thank you for taking the time to post this!
  • Black_Cats_Rule
    Black_Cats_Rule Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Are you still logging? I've found that even when I'm going through a difficult path (I struggle with anxiety and depression) that I'll let myself eat what I want etc. but I just have to log everything still but don't worry about calorie counts or carbs (I eat keto). Before I used to just leave MFP all together out of shame pretty much - but having to face what I've done it's useful in helping myself get back on track because I can literally see it.
  • rosannawoodpecker
    Options
    I have tried several times to lose weight weight over the past five years (2009 was the year I was so abruptly called "obese" by a company physician) and found myself quitting for one reason or another- my mother needed me to move into her home in another state to care for her, I became so anemic that I found myself needing two blood transfusions and an iron infusion, etc. My main reason though for giving up so many times was the lack of support within the home. I find it difficult to shop for myself, cook for myself, exercise by myself when the rest of the house is eating whatever they want and often will try to get me to eat what they have fixed.
    I have finally made myself a journal out of a 8x10 notebook. On the outside of it, I pasted motivational sayings all over it. On the inside cover I pasted two pictures of the two people that I see as inspirational- a 101 year old marathon runner and a 77 year old woman who is a champion weight lifter. If they can do the things they do, by golly I can do what I set out to do no matter whether I have the support or not. Daily I write my feelings- feelings about me, about life, about whatever is important at the moment. I log my foods and water intake. I track my calories and carbs as well as my sugar, fiber and sodium intake.
    I only weigh myself once a week! Not easy when the word "obese" echo's through your head over and over again. This is allowing me to let up on myself.
    What I am saying is this: go easy on yourself! You are the best tool you have. You will have good and bad days and that is a good thing. Find a way to express yourself in a healthy way, such as a journal. And most importantly- never give up on yourself!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    time for an amazing COMEBACK!
  • mlange85
    mlange85 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I'm in the same spot right now. I was doing so good-lost almost 40 lbs and then a few weeks ago my father in law had a massive heart attack and passed away very unexpectedly. It has been so hard as he was such a big part of our life and the rock of our family. I have been focusing on helping my husband the best I can to get through this, and explaining to our 2 year old where papa is because he keeps asking. So I too need motivation to get back on th horse. You can do it- just keep your eye on th prize and start with baby steps! Good luck! You can do it!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter how great you were doing in the past, there will always be stumbling blocks that throw you off course. No matter what. Just accept that beforehand, go back to the better habits you once had, gradually, and see that this is not an "either or" type of thing. It's not "eat perfect, workout daily" or "eat junk and do nothing". There's a large range in between that is more sustainable. Find what works for you.
  • BoutThatBass
    Options
    Is there a way you could sign up for a class or make plans with a workout buddy or something? When I'm struggling to get "back on track" I'll buy a Groupon to a gym or fitness class - they're usually pretty inexpensive, but I feel obligated to go because I don't want to lose the money I've spent and I don't want to waste the instructor's time by taking a spot in a class and then not showing up. It's usually the kick in the pants I need to get the ball rolling on consistent workouts again.

Also, I find once I'm working out regularly, the diet stuff comes more easily, because I want to do well in my workouts and I know I need to avoid junk and eat healthfully to be successful, fitness-wise.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I bribe myself. If I go a 30 day streak of logging, I treat myself to a steak dinner. It's not a meal that will sabotage me, but steak is comfort food to me and that's something I look forward to. So, even on cheat days I will remember to log, and after 30 days, it starts to become a habit again. So, maybe think of something you want to eat or do that's not something you normally do or eat but that you like and will look forward to. And state it publicly, even if no one follows your log. If I do that, I feel guilty for not logging, so that helps too! ^_^;
  • alnovasad35
    alnovasad35 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

@ Black_Cats_Rule...I was not logging. I tried a few times but you said it...I was too ashamed to actually see those calories. So I stopped. I will start back today!

@ roseannawoodpecker...I have two (little girls) picky eaters. That makes it super hard. I know what you mean about lack of support. Plus, my husband has always been the cook of the house. I don't know why but cooking intimidates me. His work often sends him away which leaves me in charge and I always resort to the frozen food isle (corn dogs, chicken nuggets, pizza...the kids favorites). We are all big fruit fans! But the fruit just doesn't seem to taste as yummy in the winter. You are right! If they can do it...SO CAN WE!

@ mlange85...I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for your post...I am going to take your baby steps advice!!!

@BZAH10...You are right! For some reason I find it so much easier to eat right when working out and that eating junk and doing nothing seem to go hand in hand. I need to change that attitude and focus on making healthier selections. So much easier said than done lately. I JUST NEED TO FOCUS!

I really do appreciate all your comments! Thank you!!! Hopefully the next time I write to you all I will be NEW AND IMPROVED!!!

Good LUCK everyone!!