When did 'chemical' become a bad word?

Options
I love me some dihydrogen monoxide after a workout, and I just couldn't live without diatomic oxygen!

You wouldn't exist without chemicals and chemical reactions, so stop the hating!

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Better living through chemistry!
  • mommyofjan
    mommyofjan Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    :) I think it's the man-made chemicals that get people in an uproar
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I dunno - there's a thread still going in which someone was convinced that sodium bicarbonate was toxic...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I love me some dihydrogen monoxide after a workout, and I just couldn't live without diatomic oxygen!

You wouldn't exist without chemicals and chemical reactions, so stop the hating!

when some idiots applied a lack of science to their undereducated understandings of the world and played chicken little.

Basically, they're a mild variation on the flat earthers who claim evolution is a theory, without understanding what a scientific theory is.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    http://blogs.nature.com/soapboxscience/2013/05/29/the-presence-of-a-chemical-is-not-the-same-as-presence-of-risk
    "The problem may not be the “potentially” toxic chemicals that are in products we buy and use every day as much as the zeal with which some individuals and activist groups attempt to convert an association into causation to fit an ideological agenda. If we were to remove all “potentially” toxic products from the shelves of the stores we shop at—there would be nothing left for us to buy."
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It's not? Folks just get goofy over imprecise labeling.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I blame the anti-science elected officials...
  • Ruzuki
    Ruzuki Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot of people who say stuff like "On no, all chemicals are bad, dont eat anything with chemicals" and hate when I tell them its impossible.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Ignorance is bliss.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Chemical became a bad word around the same time that My Chemical Romance started to get popular. That is fact.
  • dbmata
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »

I blame the people, actually. Politicians are money hungry puppets that will dance for money. Voters are the ones who love their particular flavor of dance and hire or re-hire them.

The blame is with the electorate.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    As far as diet goes, I think it became a bad word when man starting f'n with the food supply by adding chemicals that weren't naturally in the food.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    As far as diet goes, I think it became a bad word when man starting f'n with the food supply by adding chemicals that weren't naturally in the food.

but then we wouldn't have oreos and reeses- so I'm okay with it.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

You mean like when Native Americans would add salt to meat when drying it to better preserve it? (just an example)
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    When Monsanto develops a plant that can absorb herbicides without being harmed. That is really really bad.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

I blame the people, actually. Politicians are money hungry puppets that will dance for money. Voters are the ones who love their particular flavor of dance and hire or re-hire them.

Them too... but I was also lumping in elected state school board people in there too... as they are the ones that have a say in what goes into schools.
  • dbmata
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Them too... but I was also lumping in elected state school board people in there too... as they are the ones that have a say in what goes into schools.

truth.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    sheldonz42 wrote: »

You mean like when Native Americans would add salt to meat when drying it to better preserve it? (just an example)

Hahaha :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

No, not really. I wouldn't consider personal preservation of food as f'n with the food supply. I was referring more to mass production.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options

I love this point. People don't seem to realize how much chemicals and genetic engineering have helped us to live longer and to sustain our increasing population. Basically, we have it so good that we have to make things up to worry about.