Selecting a Gym and Making the Most of It

Options
Hi all,

I've decided that, for me, joining a gym is going to be a necessity in my weight loss journey. I am a morning person so I want to work out early before work, which is hard to do safely in the dark outside! I'm currently using a 14 day free trial membership at Anytime Fitness, but want to try others as well. The major thing I don't like about Anytime is that their only option appears to be signing a contract (minimum of 12 months). For lots of reasons I do not sign contracts...I don't like to be locked into anything and limit my ability to make choices.

I have a few other gyms that I want to do free trials at, including LA Fitness and Pur Family Fitness. Lifetime would be convenient as far as location goes, but it's much more expensive.

Anyway, I'd love some pointers on what I should be looking for in a gym. I'm 50 years old and way out of shape, so this whole process is a little intimidating to begin with. I'm thinking that I'll primarily use a gym for cardio, but would also like to do some toning. Not sure about classes or a trainer.

Your thoughts/suggestions??

Thanks!

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Before giving money to any business look for the basics. Clean equipment (spray bottles and paper towels for wiping down equipment), clean bathrooms/lockers, happy and knowledgeable staff, good lighting and mirrors, good hours, and a variety of equipment.

No contract is always better, of course you want the option to leave. Lots of places have free trials (like you mentioned) so take advantage of those.

Look for:

Squat rack (even if you don't use it)
    multiple benches (incline, flat, decline)
    Dumbbells that go over 75 pounds (I am looking at you, Planet Fitness :| )
    Variety of cardio machines (elliptical, treadmill, bikes, rowing)

There really isn't really much you have to look for. I like to see if the other people using the gym respect the rules, clean up after themselves, and respect the other gym goers. A true no judgement zone where everybody shares the same building to reach fitness goals whether they are a beginner hobbyist or a Mr. Olympia.

If you really are just interested in cardio, check out your local community center. Not sure what their hours would be but they often have little gyms in them and membership is cheap to use their treadmills and bikes and a few light-medium weights.

Best of luck!
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm an Anytime Fitness member and the gyms, since they are independent, widely vary in what equipment they offer. For example the closest one to me - down the highway - did not have a power rack until last week. I use up to three different Anytime Fitness gyms because of the equipment issue - the one closest to my office is the best of the three and I do half my split there, Wed/Thurs afternoon. I actually like using different gyms - variety.

This dovetails into your question, what you should be looking for in a gym. For cardio, you'll have no problem unless its during rush hour i.e. after work, but if you are going to in the morning, you shouldn't have have trouble getting a treadmill. However, if you are in the future considering integrating resistance/strength training into your fitness efforts, Anytime might not be a solution. Depends. Does this Anytime have barbells and benches and a power rack? You can't tone what you don't own -- a gym without that equipment is going to be a necessary nonnegotiable.

A 12 month contract ain't nothing. Have a mortgage?
  • Healthy2Be21
    Healthy2Be21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have an LA fitness membership and love it! They have good hours, no contract, clean equipment, clean locker rooms, all of the equipment you need, and lots and lots of classes to go to if you want to! Like you I refuse to sign contracts and its nice LA Fitness doesn't make you do that. Good luck on your decision!
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm 53, and in a lot better shape than when I first joined my gym :-)
    Mine also has a 12 month contract, but it suits me and I've been a member there now for several years. If you like it, and use it enough then the contract can suit.
    My son uses Pure gym and that is only a month's contract, I think. N.B. That is in the UK, I don't know where you are based?

I primarily like classes (Body Combat + some other Les Mills ones), so that is top of my list, but have also started some resistance work in the gym. My first consideration is how easy it is to get to. Mine is only a ten minute drive away, so I can get to it without any bother.

After a couple of weeks trial, you should have a reasonable idea as to whether you like it and want to sign up.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Also, be sure to visit during different times of the day and days of the week, to see how busy it might be. If you are going to go at the same time every day, then that's one thing, but schedules change and the worst thing is going when it's convenient for you, but no equipment is available. Also, most gyms will offer a few free sessions with trainers. You may want to take advantage of that, simply to learn how to use some of the strength equipment. A good mix of cardio and strength training is generally recommended for most people.

A contract isn't really that big of a deal. Most will let you cancel with a refund if you give enough notice (~60 days) so at least check it out. From a business plan perspective, the company can't really run without some sort of cash flow projections and use contracts for that.

Check out some of the classes as well - you can just go and watch - and see how you like the instructors. Are they motivating? Do they mix it up? Do they watch the pace of participants?

You might only be interested in cardio now, but looking at a full service gym might "future proof" your experience, especially if you sign a contract. Also, local YMCAs or that sort of thing might be better suited to you, so be sure to check them out as well.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I use Fitness19. It only costs me $10/month and they open at 5am on weekdays and stay open till 11pm and 8am on weekends. I go after work in the mornings since I work until 7am and it works great for me! They have cardio equipment and weights so it's a good mix!
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I have an LA fitness membership and love it! They have good hours, no contract, clean equipment, clean locker rooms, all of the equipment you need, and lots and lots of classes to go to if you want to! Like you I refuse to sign contracts and its nice LA Fitness doesn't make you do that. Good luck on your decision!

I used to go to LA Fitness and really liked it too because of the classes they offered. I like doing the classes, so I always look at the class schedules when I'm selecting a gym to see if they have classes I'm interested in at times that fit my schedule. I also preferred LA Fitness because they don't charge extra for the classes.

It all depends on what you want from the gym, though. It can be a big investment, so I think you're going about it the right way, by trying out all your options. I just moved and have to figure out what I'm going to do now, too. Good luck!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I am an Anytime member and I love it and have been there for 5 years. That being said, it definitely depends on the Anytime you are going too like civilizedworm said. Mine has everything I need, accept spin bikes. I never had a need for that until I was training for an indoor triathlon. Luckily the one close to my work had plenty of those.

12 month contract is generally going to keep your cost down at most gyms. Month to month is generally higher. I know my Anytime used to have a month to month option, but I haven't checked, unless I move I can't imagine joining a different gym