What is your plan of attack for the food heavy holiday season?

Options
mlrtri
mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
I have decided to slim down right before the food heavy holidays. I am committed now, no going back. Please share your plans on making sure you stay on track during the holidays.

Replies

• Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    mlrtri wrote: »
    I have decided to slim down right before the food heavy holidays. I am committed now, no going back. Please share your plans on making sure you stay on track during the holidays.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRilvXLm1yDTiSYFhpxF6dJtiiyzCqNi2RooKX9WK5vpPM65Ge64w

Too simple?
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Too simple?
    [/quote]

I was going to search for this exact image to put in here. +1

• N3rdyBird_
    N3rdyBird_ Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just to stay under or at maintenance on Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve/Day.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

My plan is to eat all the foods, worry about the fallout later
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I treat the actual holiday as just another day. I eat anything I want that day and don't worry much about it. The next day, however, I'm back on my program and counting everything. The hardest part for me is all the "treats" that are everywhere. I try to avoid, or just try a bite (and record it), but it's a challenge. I make sure I exercise a bit more than usual so that I have extra calories to burn. As much as I'd like to continue to lose over the next 6 weeks, I'll be happy if I can just manage to get through it without a setback.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    On Thanksgiving, my brother and I are going to go hiking/camping. We'll bring some food that we can carry, of course. I also will plan to hunt squirrel and rabbit, as well as fish for trout... whatever protein I can get for us will supplement rice/beans that we carry. The exercise will probably be enough to offset calories consumed.

For Christmas, I'm not sure yet. I don't exactly celebrate Christmas because I'm atheist, but I have the day off from work and am thinking about going to see my parents (my dad is old and not in good health, so there are not as many opportunities to see him). I'll just try to be cautious about eating too much or perhaps even bring a low calorie food item to share.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I just eat all the turkey and have smaller amounts of the side dishes.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I joined here in November a few years back. I just ate the foods I wanted, but less of it. Pretty much like every day.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I plan to attack the stuffing first...because that's my favorite. I plan to eat half of what's on my plate of that before I even consider a mashed potato or turkey bite. Then I will do Turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy for a few minutes. Then I will move onto turkey with cranberry for the last half of the turkey. This is where I go back to attacking the stuffing. Then I will probably have to get up to get more stuffing and will attack anyone who gets in my way and/or is taking the last of the stuffing. Probably at this time I will pick up a dinner roll which I forgot to get in my zeal for stuffing and I will attack that roll with more butter than a paula dean episode. Then I will attack the roll and stuffing together like so much peanut butter and chocolate, corn flakes and milk, tequila and salt, pretzels and chocolate. For some reason to me the combo of a buttered roll and stuffing is a classic that is often overlooked.

Then I will rest in my LaZBoy and when I get my second wind I will attack the stuffing again, this time with cubes of turkey on top and some more gravy. As a snack. Like a rice bowl but with stuffing. Yeah stuffing. Stuffing.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Eat and enjoy any and everything just watch your quantities. I eat just not the second helpings. Good Luck

29509743.png
  • mcasella
    Options
    I plan to eat on the holidays, but plan ahead by saving calories throughout the week ahead and before. I will not over indulge, but will not deprive myself on the holidays, and will go back to my regular routine when the holidays are over. I don't plan on gaining any weight throughout the holidays!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Stuffing.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Exercised always gives you some wiggle room for food intake. I say, eat everything in moderation, put some extra calories in the bank before and after and you'll be good. It's the long term impact that really matters.
  • april_denise
    april_denise Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, I just started trying to slim down too, and I'm kinda dreading those holidays coming up now! But I think my plan of action is to just make sure I'm taking smaller portions or maybe plan ahead on how much I can actually eat in order to stay under my limit.

Though I'm also considering getting a good amount of exercise in (like an early morning cycle or run), so that I can eat more than usual on that day.

My weakness will definitely be the pumpkin pie though... :s
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Too simple?

tumblr_lfl0nuPiYO1qdzjnp.gif
  • DeannaLynnPerkins
    DeannaLynnPerkins Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I still eat portions off all the foods, I just eat HEALTHIER portions. Smaller amounts of the sides, 1/2 a piece of pie, more of the protein but less of the gravy. I also try to invite some of my family members on a walk before or after we eat to get in some activity. I don't normally track my calories those days, but just try to be mindful of what I'm eating. I also DO NOT go back for seconds!! It has worked for the past 2 years so I know that it is proven for me. :-)

GOOD LUCK!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    No burgers. Stuffing.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I plan to attack the stuffing first...because that's my favorite. I plan to eat half of what's on my plate of that before I even consider a mashed potato or turkey bite. Then I will do Turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy for a few minutes. Then I will move onto turkey with cranberry for the last half of the turkey. This is where I go back to attacking the stuffing. Then I will probably have to get up to get more stuffing and will attack anyone who gets in my way and/or is taking the last of the stuffing. Probably at this time I will pick up a dinner roll which I forgot to get in my zeal for stuffing and I will attack that roll with more butter than a paula dean episode. Then I will attack the roll and stuffing together like so much peanut butter and chocolate, corn flakes and milk, tequila and salt, pretzels and chocolate. For some reason to me the combo of a buttered roll and stuffing is a classic that is often overlooked.

Then I will rest in my LaZBoy and when I get my second wind I will attack the stuffing again, this time with cubes of turkey on top and some more gravy. As a snack. Like a rice bowl but with stuffing. Yeah stuffing. Stuffing.

+1

Also, add wine.

Then, on Friday, I will wake up and get back to my regularly scheduled programming.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I plan to be over on Thanksgiving, my birthday weekend, and Christmas (eve and day) and I will not regret a single thing I eat on those days. I'll be good every other day in between.

ETA: I started losing weight last October and that was my same plan of attack then. One year and 42 pounds later, I think it's still a really good plan.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    elsie_fair wrote: »

Too simple?

I was going to search for this exact image to put in here. +1

[/quote]

That approach has made every single holiday much more enjoyable... especially when there is cake, pie, and bacon.