Currently 142 looking to weigh 120 in 3 months. Need advice

Options
I am looking to lose 20 lbs. I would like to go back to doing p90x daily , and eating following the MFP on counting calories.. Any pointers or advice? I need all I can get.. I have tried this before and have not succeeded , it makes me feel a bit like a failer .. But I know I will never be truly happy with who I am unless I get into shape. I am 5'2, 30 years old and 142 lbs.

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    With only 22 lbs to go, you should only expect to lose .5, maybe 1 lb/week. So my advice is to adjust your expectations.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    With so little to lose you will have to be more precise with your calorie counting. Use a scale and I mean seriously weigh everything. I could never for the life of me lose that last 10 pounds until I started weighing everything. Exercise for health and eat less calories for fat loss :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    JTick wrote: »
    With only 22 lbs to go, you should only expect to lose .5, maybe 1 lb/week. So my advice is to adjust your expectations.

Agreed
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    My advice is to stop rushing it. Give yourself and your body the time needed to do this thing correctly so you won't fail or re-gain the weight. If you want to lose 22 lbs., set-up a realistic goal such as 0.5 or 1 lb. per week. Focus on that and don't bust your behind over some date on the calendar.
  • 13shark77
    13shark77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    One pound a week to loose is a great goal. If your also plan on keeping it off too in long run. Loosing too much in short time. Not only comes back, but also with unwanted friends. Be active as well will help. From simple walk with your dog if you have pets, or kids. Even they need fresh air too lol! Good luck!
  • f2theo2theox
    Options
    I want to lose around the same and have zero motivation but like you I know I will feel better about myself when I've lost the weight. I wish you every success in your journey and if you would like to accept my friend request that would be great!
  • brookelynn_30
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input , I am okay with losing 1 lb a week , I just want it to be a consistent thing for me.. In the past I would lose for a while then plateau..or end up gaining back the weight I lost. I know alot of it has to do with my diet, so I am going to have to truly make healthier choices and not eat out as much . In the past I drank 1 dr pepper ( sometimes 2 ) a day . I know that is one thing I am doing without this time around, so hopefully with no soda I will see good progress.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Also 142 and headed somewhere around 120. It's a WHOLE lot harder this time around. Seems like I dropped from 176 to 145 with no issues, quick and really painless. It's taking a lot more out of me this time. I'm just going to focus on lifting and bodycomp on deficit, and let my weight sort itself out. I'm sure it all will as long as I stay at deficit. Patience, patience!
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I think it's definitely doable if you are as CONSISTENT as possible with whatever eating plan you choose and HONEST in your logging! You will face additional hurdles during the holidays, but you can do it! That said, if you decide to splurge once in awhile, brush it off and get right back to your plan, don't beat yourself up or give up. Also, I would not recommend eating back exercise calories, estimates can be wayyyyy off. It's great you are doing an intense workout like P90X but please remember it's mostly diet that will get you there. Good Luck :smile:
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    1. Follow this simple guide!

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal

2. If you plateau, you're eating too much. I stalled for five months (around two was me maintaining, but the other three I was stuck between the same weights). I actually just broke mine again by lowering my calories by 100 per day, and I've had a good drop and maintenance of my new lower weight for the past week, which is a good sign.

3. Remember to eat back a portion of your exercise cals; if you eat all, you may be eating to o much. Heart rate monitors and MFP are only estimates, and MFP tends to be way too generous in their calorie burns. When I log a Zumba or Piloxing class, I tend to put half the time in if I feel the calorie burn looks way too big compared to how much I sweat/worked out that day.

4. Food scales are your friend. It'll help you get more accurate calorie logging and knowing what you're inputting, so you know what you need to output.

5. 7.3lbs a month is too aggressive at your size. You didn't put 22lbs on in three months, so don't race to get it off. :)

Good luck!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I am looking to lose 20 lbs. I would like to go back to doing p90x daily , and eating following the MFP on counting calories.. Any pointers or advice? I need all I can get.. I have tried this before and have not succeeded , it makes me feel a bit like a failer .. But I know I will never be truly happy with who I am unless I get into shape. I am 5'2, 30 years old and 142 lbs.

It depends. 20 in 12 weeks is 1.6lbs a week. Not outlandish. But it also depends on what your current bodyfat is. The higher it is, the easier. If you are already at a fairly low BF%, that's going to be tough.
  • brookelynn_30
    Options

It depends. 20 in 12 weeks is 1.6lbs a week. Not outlandish. But it also depends on what your current bodyfat is. The higher it is, the easier. If you are already at a fairly low BF%, that's going to be tough.

My current BMI is about 25 % which to me is high
  • brookelynn_30
    Options
    Thanks @missontofitness ! Great guide!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I don't put much stock into BMI. Mine is 26.9. And because I've been lazy, I'm probably sitting at 19-20% BF.