Running in the cold?

Options

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Besides the obvious: Hats and gloves should never EVER be overlooked. A nice hat will help keep the warmth in and nothing will kill motivation faster than your fingers on fire from the cold. Sunglasses if it is windy.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is to dress for 30 degrees F warmer than the windchill temperature. Last winter, when it was in the upper teens and low 20s F, I wore the following:

Lower body: wind brief, Sporthill SP3 tights, medium-weight wool socks (Smartwool PhDs), running shoes.

Upper body: medium-weight wool base layer (Smartwool), wool zip jacket (Ibex shak), lightweight shell windbreaker, gloves or mittens (which I usually take off about 10-15 minutes into the run), sweatband, and lightweight wool cap (which often comes off when the gloves do).

My usual windbreaker was an REI cycling jacket, now replaced with a Showers Pass jacket. Both have pit zips and adjustable cuffs, so I can adjust air flow. By the end of a brisk run, I had often unzipped both the windbreaker and the shak; I tend to get hot.

Upper 20s and 30s, I ditch the wool zip jacket layer, and usually wear a headband that covers my ears, instead of a hat. The gloves come off earlier.

In the 40s, it's lightweight tights or shorts, synthetic socks, and a long-sleeved wool or synthetic shirt. Above 50, unless it's windy, I just wear shorts and a short-sleeved t-shirt.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    A lot of the Starter brand stuff they sell at WalMart is pretty decent. I've been slowly buying and building my stock of UA and Nike gear for cold weather, but TBH, the Starter stuff is good enough to get you started.

I agree. I also like the Champion gear at Target. Nike and UA make good stuff, but it can add up really quick.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Under Armour! I ran yesterday it was 19 degrees,two layers of UA and I was fine,,I have a pair of Alpaca wool socks for cold running and even in snow,my feet stayed nice and warm.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I actually enjoy running in the cold far more than I do the heat. Just dress appropriately...it'll probably take some playing around with your exercise wardrobe to find what is going to be most comfortable for you.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Anything above 40 you don't need anything extra.

I'd start with extremities first - gloves, hat. Then, a tech shirt with a fleece over it, a shell over that if it's windy. Tights if it's really cold. Like, single digits.

This would be my advice as well. I'm also from Mpls (although I ran away years ago), and the most important thing is to keep those ears, fingers and toes cozy. You might consider warming up inside first for like 5 min or so, like you would for a normal workout, to help you resist Overdressing for the cold. Once you have socks, muffs and mittens, your core will heat up more than you think.

And also yes to the tissues, otherwise you'll have to wash your mittens a lot :p

• splashtree5
    splashtree5 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips for Running in the cold?
    I just started Couch to 5K, but i've had to take some time off because it's become below freezing outside.
    I want to continue, and I can not afford a gym membership... Any suggestions?
    Thank you!

Layer.... I do like that and I keep myself warm, then with the running is OK, I run under rain or snow with no any problem, and is challenging...

• QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I just read this article yesterday...
    runnersworld.com/running-tips/weather-wise
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The Runners' World tool is a lifesaver and very accurate, at least for me. I find that oftentimes, I can go lighter on my body and legs, but I always like having my gloves (Lululemon Brisk Run gloves). I prefer tights or capris, but for extra cold days I got a pair of thermal-lined Pearl Izumi tights.

So far, I think my "coldest day ever" outfit will be long-sleeved Dri-Fit base layer, zip-up fleece, lightweight down coat, with hat, gloves, thermal tights, and SmartWool socks.
  • QueenKristine7
    Options
    Anything above 40 you don't need anything extra.

I'd start with extremities first - gloves, hat. Then, a tech shirt with a fleece over it, a shell over that if it's windy. Tights if it's really cold. Like, single digits.

^^ this +1

• tallmama3
    tallmama3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I;ve gotten some good key running pieces from the local goodwill- was surprised at the amount of 'work out' clothing there!
    For my winter runs so far I've always over dressed and ended up stopping to unlayer. My advice would to take one layer off then what you think you'll need. If you are warm the first 10min, chances are you will be really too warm later on! Good luck!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I just started Couch to 5K, but i've had to take some time off because it's become below freezing outside.
    Thank you!

Running in below freezing is rough! Hard on your body, hard on your throat and, for myself, hard not to get sick. Heck, I run in the rain, even when it's warm out, and almost always catch a cold (which I don't understand, because I believe myself to be a pretty healthy individual). I have no great advice other than dress warmly (tough, because for myself, it restricts movement), maybe wear a face mask for your throat, listen to your body and don't overdo it. Also, I'd definitely be stretching and warming up indoors with some jumping jacks.
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I share your pain, I hate running in the cold, too. I have no issues whatsoever running in 90+, even 100 degree heat, but I suck at tolerating the cold. I lived in Vermont last year, and I had no access to a treadmill, and that was hell. Thank god Maryland is warmer. I learned that even if you have to go bulky, it's not so bad. When in Vermont, and it got colder than negative 10, I would wear a minimum of two pairs of pants, a tank bra, a tshirt, a long sleeved shirt, a long sleeved-long underwear type shirt, sometimes another shirt, all under a hoodie (none of my coats were run-friendly). The hood would be up, and I would have a hat underneath, along with a scarf to wrap around most of my face, leaving only my eyes exposed. On my hands, I chose mittens over gloves, they keep your hands warmer and you don't really need access to your fingers on the run. And I ran just fine, even completely swaddled up. This year, I will most likely be doing my running on a treadmill. I hate them with a fiery passion most of the time, but I hate the extreme cold even more.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to drink when you run in the cold. Or drink as soon as you can afterward. I will get a chill that doesn't go away after a run if I don't stay properly hydrated.

Also, I often drive to start a run. If you do, make sure you have some good dry clothes to put on after a run until you can properly change.

Finally SmartWool and Icebreaker make some good wool based exercise gear, especially socks, that are good for winter. Sometimes you can find them on sale at REI, Sierra Trading Post, or local running stores.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I just returned from a 5 mile run in 27 degree weather ("feels like" temp of 5 degrees) with 25-30 mph winds and a few inches of snow on the ground. I wore a long sleeve performance tee and pair of tights from Walmart (paid less than $20 for both items and the quality is on par with Old Navy and other less expensive brands) as my base layer. To this I added a pair of cheap shorts because my butt gets cold, along with a fabulous pair of Smartwool PhD compression socks (good deals on Ebay for those). On top I wore my Nike Element Shield jacket, which I also got on Ebay and LOVE. It's got built-in mittens and a gaiter and is crazy warm. Also a thermal headband and a pair of cheap stretchy gloves with mittens over those. On my feet I wore Brooks Ghost GTX (water resistant for the snow). I actually ended up too warm by about mile 4 and ditched the mittens, gloves, and gaiter for the rest of my run.

I'm still experimenting with the perfect combination of layers to keep warm without getting too hot, but I recommend splurging on good stuff for your extremities and layering cheaper stuff on your body.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I love all the recommendations for some affordable gear to start out in!
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thank you!

I used to live in Montana and never missed a run day due to a cold weather excuse. I drilled screws through the sides of my shoes for more traction (YAK tracks would fall off too easily). Cold was never an issue -footing was. With windchill, I have run well below 60 to 70 degrees below 0, so you can do it if you are determined. Wood screws you could pick up for less than $1.00.

I used a balaclava for head gear and wore a beenie over it and goggles when it was coldest. I also wore underarmer thermals underneath.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Last night, it was 51 degrees out. I wore shorts and short sleeves, but I was so very cold on the warm-up walk. Some guy was out walking his dog - he wore a big coat, all zipped up, with hat pulled low.

He looked at me like he thought I was nuts. He may have been right.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Last night, it was 51 degrees out. I wore shorts and short sleeves, but I was so very cold on the warm-up walk. Some guy was out walking his dog - he wore a big coat, all zipped up, with hat pulled low.

He looked at me like he thought I was nuts. He may have been right.

A couple weeks ago I overdressed for my long run and ended up stripping down to a tank and capris in 25 degree weather. I got some very funny looks when I ran past the neighbor's bonfire party!