1 year on MFP. Am I on track?

Options
So I've been logging for about 1 year now, and I've been lifting for about 10/11 months. In this time I've lost about 28lbs. I have a 500 calorie deficit everyday and out of the full year I'd say I've probably had about 6-8 weeks 'off' from eating healthy. I know this isn't a yes or no answer but I'm just looking for some opinions, because I think it's pretty good because I think most of that loss will be from fat and not muscle. :)
So just looking for some opinions! Thanks!

Replies

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    What is your question, whether the full 28lbs is fat and not muscle?
  • kieran9810
    kieran9810 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    No, i just mean for someone who's lifting and on a calorie deficit does that seem like an okay loss for 12 months, it seems a little low to me? :)
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell without your starting weight and goal weight.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    there is no standard rule to the amount you will shift in a year, weither it be fat or muscle.
    everyone is different so just because Dave down the road lost 200lbs in the year dont mean you will/should too
  • kieran9810
    Options
    Sorry, my starting weight was 231.7lbs, I'm currently 204lbs, and I want to get down to about 175-180lbs. I'm about 23% body fat (roughly)' I'm 18 years old and about 5'11'
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    You lost 28 lbs, kept it off so far and continue to lose. I'd say you're on track.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you are doing. You could have packed on some muscle in that time depending on how you were lifting. Newbs to heavy weight training have packed on up to 25lbs of muscle in a years time but that usually isn't all just lean muscle, that would include fluids and associated fat that goes with it. So, I guess the quick answer is that you may have lost more fat than the 28lbs and traded it for muscle or you may have only lost 28lbs of fat. Granted, it is very difficult to gain muscle, much less retain muscle while in a caloric deficit so I think you probably only lost about 28lbs of fat over the years time and a little bit of muscle. How fast you lose the extra weight is all up to you. Usually, the longer it takes to come off, the easier it is to keep off as long as you maintain your healthy eating habits and eat at maintenance levels. You could have lost more but each person's goals are different. Did you want to lose more than 28 in a year? If so, you fell short. If not, then you're doing just fine.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    So, over the course of 52 weeks, you lose 28 pounds which comes out to an average of about .54 pounds per week. If you consistently had a 500 calorie deficit a day, that should result in a 52 pound loss. When you say you had 6-8 weeks off from "eating healthy" what does that mean, you ate unhealthy foods but maintained a calorie deficit, or, you ate at maintenance or above? If you didn't gain back anything during that time, then theoretically you should have lost 44 pounds if you don't count those weeks.

But anyway, I think you did great and it sounds like you are happy with your progress, so why does our opinion matter?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Okay, first the math: In theory if you lost 28lbs in a year, that means you had an average calorie deficit of 1880/week.

If you had logged every day 100% accurately at a 500 calorie deficit per day, then in theory you would've seen a ~52lb loss in a year (1lb or 3500 calories/week). You didn't, and here's why:
    • You probably are not logging super accurately.
    • Those 6-8 weeks "off" when you probably didn't eat at as big a deficit, or maybe even ate at a surplus.
    • A 500-calorie deficit from what? Your TDEE fluctuates with activity level. Also, if you estimated it using an online calculator, it might not be accurate for your body.
    • You may be over-estimating calorie burn from exercise.
    • As you lose weight, your TDEE gets smaller, too. So you need to reduce your calorie intake to maintain a 500-calorie deficit.

None of this indicates whether you're losing fat or lean muscle. If you're lifting weights progressively and regularly, and combining your calorie deficit with regular workouts, there's a good chance you're holding onto more lean muscle mass that way. But you aren't going to build more at a deficit. That's not how it works. And you can really only tell by measuring your body fat %, and even that is not always super accurate. But you should be able to tell based on how your clothes fit, how your measurements have changed, and how you feel.

Bottom line, if you're feeling happier and healthier, then yes, you're doing great!

• kieran9810
    Options
    When I said I had around 8 weeks off, it's normally because of holidays. I went on holiday at the beginning of June and again in the middle of July and I couldn't stay on track during that period for some reason, I just lost all my motivation. I wasn't eating terribly but I definetly was eating maintenance calories at least! I'm eating around 2000 calories a day, which may seem a little low but it's what seems to work best for me. But thanks for all the input guys!
  • segacs
    Options
    Also, I just saw the part of this post where you said you're 18 years old. You need to remember that your body and muscles are still developing, and above all it's important not to obsess too much or starve yourself.

Healthy habits last a lifetime. But keep it all in balance.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    As long as you are going in the direction you desire you are on track. Forget about how long it takes. It will take as long as it does. You did not really mention your goals so I suspect you want to lose weight and tone. You lost weight and have better tone so I would say you are on track.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    kieran9810 wrote: »
    No, i just mean for someone who's lifting and on a calorie deficit does that seem like an okay loss for 12 months, it seems a little low to me? :)
    If you are happy with it, then that's great. You've lost 28 lbs. That's respectable, esp if you didn't have much to lose. It would be too slow for me, Ive lost 42 in 5.5 months and now I'm 15 away from goal, but my goals may be different from yours. At 5'2 and starting at 172, I wanted to lose a 1.5-2 a week. A quarter pound a week would have made me hit my head against a wall. Nothing wrong with slow(er) and steady though.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Just be happy with what you've done, don't compare yourself to others (easier said than done, I know - I do it ALL the time). I know how hard it is - my work just sent out and email asking if we wanted to award a coworker for losing 100+ lbs in a year. Guess my 45 wasn't enough for it ;)
  • segacs
    Options
    I wanted to lose a 1.5-2 a week. A quarter pound a week would have made me hit my head against a wall.

See, and for me, a half pound a week is actually something like TDEE-20%, which is about the maximum I can do without it being unhealthy. It all depends.

arrrrjt wrote: »
    My work just sent out and email asking if we wanted to award a coworker for losing 100+ lbs in a year. Guess my 45 wasn't enough for it ;)

Wow, where do you work that they comment on people's weight like that? I would hate working at a place like that. Why is it even any of their business?

Besides, if I lost 100 pounds, I'd only weigh 45 pounds. So, no. Not gonna happen. Why don't people understand that weight loss is relative to starting size?
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You're doing awesome! Just keep it going in the right direction and do whatever is sustainable in the long run. Don't obsess, just enjoy being healthier and keeping it that way.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's a relatively friendly place, and I know they mean well... but I know there are a lot of people in the office who struggle with weight (we have a great group that emails a couple times a month). Everyone's happy for him, and I really hope he sustains it - but it's almost like if you don't have a drastic loss it doesn't mean as much *shrug*.
  • segacs
    Options
    arrrrjt wrote: »
    But it's almost like if you don't have a drastic loss it doesn't mean as much *shrug*.

It's also as if they're just not very good at math. Depending on your respective heights and starting weights, it's entirely likely that your 45-pound weight loss was a bigger percentage of your body weight than his 100-pound loss.

But people walk around saying things like "I lost 100 pounds!" instead of saying "I lost 45% of my body weight!"