What a difference a year makes!

Options

Replies

• zeeland5
    zeeland5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You sir, are truly an inspiration. Congratulations!
  • JaneECS
    JaneECS Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You look fab, very sexy and strong. You are right to share your story - reminds me what we are doing it for.
  • 1pjah7
    1pjah7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how much I appreciate you sharing your story. The knee x-ray could be mine. I've got a long way to go, but dropping 25 lbs. has helped with the pain some. Your success (and dusty ibuprophen bottle) has given me hope that continuing on my journey will lead to a similar outcome for me.

Congrats on your dedication and hard work. It has certainly paid off - you look fabulous!
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Outstanding! You look very nice in your tux. Not all people do. LOL. Very bond-ish.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Wow! Talk about impressive! I am officially motivated now :)
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    WOW! get out! you look amazing....you don't even look like the same person anymore :)
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • tropic80girl
    tropic80girl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Folks ... many, many thanks for the very kind comments. As much as my story has motivated some of you, your responses are helping to drive me forward. Thanks again.

Now to answer some of your questions. If I miss any questions, please post again, and I'll get to it as soon as I can. If you have a question you'd rather not ask publicly, send me a PM, and I can anonymize the response here.
  • flatlndr
    Options
    Excellent job! Our stories are very similar. I've got my own knee problems and began my own journey after reaching 307. I'm down 67 so far with an ultimate goal of 187 (or further if I can make it).

Congratulations. Living proof we can achieve and maintain our goals.

Definitely keep at it. Every few pounds lost took noticeable stress off my knee.

When I was down ~30 lbs, I grabbed 20 lbs in weights and tried to walk up the stairs. The pains of old returned. It was obvious by that little experiment how much stress the excess weight was adding to my knee joints.

• flatlndr
    Options
    lefty421 wrote: »
    What were some of the things you said to yourself along the way to keep yourself motivated and on track?

I'd have to give all the credit to my knee ... it's been a blessing and a curse, I guess you could say. It's been a curse in the sense that I will always have some trouble with it, but a blessing in that it motivated me to stick with it all the way. I haven't had to say too much to myself ... the knee kept thanking me for the positive progress, and kept reminding me that eating cookies while sitting back on the couch is what got me into trouble in the first place.

After that, I'm a bit of a data nerd. Between tracking the data in spreadsheets - and seeing the resultant progress curves, such as this:

yenggx66x1ze.jpg

and doing all the food and exercise logging into MFP, I kept very motivated.

Beyond that, it was self-sustaining. Losing weight allowed me to be more active, which helped me to lose more weight, which helped me to be more active, and so on.

• flatlndr
    edited November 2014
    Options
    lefty421 wrote: »
    When I visited my doctor after an 80 pound loss, I had a lower abdomen issue which my doctor said was excess skin. He recommended surgery, but I'm not brave enough. Maybe once the kids are grown and out of the house...

Excess skin was something that I worried about at the beginning. Given that my belly was hanging over my belt at the outset, I figured the empty skin would be flopping about as well.

When I was on holiday in July, even though I looked and felt better, there was loose skin. I remember putting on suntan lotion, and feeling like it was loose enough to push my navel up to my chest! It was especially noticeable when I did push-ups or planks when not wearing a shirt. This marsupial-like pouch was hanging down from me.

But since then, I've lost another 10 lbs, and a few more inches, and the skin as pulled back somewhat. It's still a bit floppy, but if I drop another 5-10, and continue to reduce my overall body fat, it may get to a point that it's much less noticeable.

From everything I've read, I should give it about 2 years from the point at which I reach weight, as that's about as far as the skin will pull back. I don't think I'll go for surgery in the end, but I certainly have considered it from time to time.

• flatlndr
    Options
    I really liked this story, especially because different exercise was right for different phases of your weight loss and fitness level. I see a lot of younger people describing programs that would injure or discourage someone with physical conditions, older persons, and people with a great deal of weight to lose. Also, you quickly recognized and accepted that this was a two year project for you. It was all done in a healthy and safe way, and your results are outstanding! Great post!

Thank you. I've learned from past mistakes, where I've gone out too hard and too fast, and just wound up exhausted or injured. I now know how to push myself hard enough to be challenged and to improve, but not so hard as to cause damage. It only took me a few decades to figure it out.
  • flatlndr
    Options
    1pjah7 wrote: »
    I can't tell you how much I appreciate you sharing your story. The knee x-ray could be mine. I've got a long way to go, but dropping 25 lbs. has helped with the pain some. Your success (and dusty ibuprophen bottle) has given me hope that continuing on my journey will lead to a similar outcome for me.

Congrats on your dedication and hard work. It has certainly paid off - you look fabulous!

Best of luck with your journey. I hope you can make your knees as happy as I have made mine.

• northlandmum
    northlandmum Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all your hard work. You look amazing :)
  • flatlndr
    Options
    karenj_m wrote: »
    WOW! get out! you look amazing....you don't even look like the same person anymore :)

Thanks. With my new job, I'm working with people who didn't know the "before" me; they've only see the last 30-40 lbs drop. When they ask about it, I show them the before picture, and the response is typically "What?!? That's you?!? No way!!!". I smile every time, and it motivates me to keep at it.

• opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This is such a great story to read. I'm so happy for you! I had very bad knee pain and only a 34lb loss made a huge difference. I wish you all the best with your new self!
  • DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Entirely inspiring!!! Thanks for sharing!
  • Rangerfied
    Rangerfied Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Great work. Plus keeping the self control to stay on track. That's my biggest problem is not having the self control to stop myself from snacking when I don't need too. Plus exercising when I should. It's great though seeing that other people are doing it.
  • flatlndr
    Options
    Rangerfied wrote: »
    Great work. Plus keeping the self control to stay on track. That's my biggest problem is not having the self control to stop myself from snacking when I don't need too. Plus exercising when I should. It's great though seeing that other people are doing it.

Thanks. Whenever my self control was lacking, and I was thinking about snacking, a little voice in my head piped up and said "you know, you're going to have to log that", and that was usually enough for me to stop.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!