Cold weather exercising

Hi all!

It's that time of year and the snow has already begun to fall. I'm wondering what some suggestions you have for exercising in the cold. I take the dog for a walk every day, but am freezing by the time I get home. What can I do indoors (at home) to burn off calories and energy? I'd really appreciate your help!

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Personally, I LOVE running in the cold. I can go faster and I really feel alive out there. Just layer up. Walking, for me, doesn't get me "warm" so I get cold easily, but I can run for hours when the temps are in the 30s and not feel cold... well until I stop that is.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    I really like Sworkit. It's available for smartphones and kindles. Other options include workout DVDs (T25 is a good one) or Youtube videos. Don't forget the weights.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    This time of year reminds me of exactly why I pay for a gym membership.

Still, there are times when I can't or don't want to go to the gym, and then I turn to either YouTube or FitnessBlender, both of which have a range of free videos to follow. YouTube has a bunch of Jillian Michaels, among other things, and Fitness Blender will allow you to find a video using any equipment you might have around the house.

A small set of dumbbells or an adjustable dumbbell set, or some exercise bands, are a great investment for working out at home.
  • kabochia
    kabochia Posts: 4 Member
    Running in the cold is the best. You will only be chilly for the first few mins!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Burpees and dumbbell squat thrusters are good for doing indoor intervals with.
  • splashtree5
    splashtree5 Posts: 210 Member
    Outdoor running Indoor circuit