Losing weight

Options
Hello,
I am a cyclist and have been putting in a lot of miles. I average at least 150 miles per week, including rollers. Being 33 years old I want to hit a goal of 170 for competitive races. I originally weighed in at 185. After 1 month it appears I only lost one pound. Why would this be, and how can I get to my goal weight of 170 pounds. I do not lift weights, because I do not want to gain much muscle. Suggestions? Is myfitnesspal information in accurate? I put in everything faithfully, so I should be are 172 in about 2 to 3 weeks. This does not seem possible if I had only lost one pound.

Replies

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back exercise cals? If you want to lose faster you have to increase your deficit by eating less.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    KNord1 wrote: »
    Have you heard about the 21 Day Fix from Beachbody? I am a Beachbody coach currently participating in the program myself and have lost 3 lbs in my first week. You can lose up to 15 pounds in two weeks! It's all about portion control and balance. I think this program would be perfect for your goals. Email me at teamakfitness@yahoo.com if you're interested in hearing more about it.

Don't do this^^^ it isn't needed.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Weight training will not necessarily bulk you up. It will, however, help insure that the weight you lose is fat, rather than muscle.

As for accuracy, are you weighing your foods and measuring your liquids? How are you calculating your exercise calories?

I know from studies involving marathon training that distance training and weight loss can definitely be at odds with each other: you are asking very different things from your body. For the distance training, you want your body to conserve energy to last throughout the exertion, for weight loss, you want your body to use up energy to shed pounds.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary and you have sporadic days of no entries with weighing inaccuracies. With so little to lose you need to get more accurate.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Weight training will not necessarily bulk you up. It will, however, help insure that the weight you lose is fat, rather than muscle.

^THIS. I just had this discussion with an ex of mine. He was advising me on maybe using lower weights and highering my reps for weight loss so that I don't get "boxy". After my own research I found that lifting will not make you gain weight, it will ensure that all the weight loss you have is not muscle and is indeed fat. Who wants to be a 115 lb ball of flab? Not me. That's for sure.

Weight loss does not lie in cardio or no cardio, weight lifting or no weight lifting arguments but more so on your diet. Eat in a deficit and you will lose weight. Lift weights while doing this and you will have a tight body when all is said and done.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    KNord1 wrote: »
    Have you heard about the 21 Day Fix from Beachbody? I am a Beachbody coach currently participating in the program myself and have lost 3 lbs in my first week. You can lose up to 15 pounds in two weeks! It's all about portion control and balance. I think this program would be perfect for your goals. Email me at teamakfitness@yahoo.com if you're interested in hearing more about it.

3vKJqc7.gif
  • fruitsmarts
    Options
    (ThephoenixisR) I do not know what "eating back exercise calories". I see that when I hook up my Garmin it relates info to this site. After registering the food and complete my entry I always see that I eat almost half of what calories I can eat. Another words if it says in (green) that I could eat let us say 1,000 more calories, I do not. Perhaps I am misreading this information.

(Concordancia) What are you referring to measuring and weighing foods and liquids? This is a new subject to me. Why would one do this if myfitnesspal is suppose to configure all the information for you. I do not over eat, and I eat on a small plate for portion control. Inn you last paragraph is not cycling 150+ should not she body fat or shed pounds? What is the difference?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    (ThephoenixisR) I do not know what "eating back exercise calories". I see that when I hook up my Garmin it relates info to this site. After registering the food and complete my entry I always see that I eat almost half of what calories I can eat. Another words if it says in (green) that I could eat let us say 1,000 more calories, I do not. Perhaps I am misreading this information.

(Concordancia) What are you referring to measuring and weighing foods and liquids? This is a new subject to me. Why would one do this if myfitnesspal is suppose to configure all the information for you. I do not over eat, and I eat on a small plate for portion control. Inn you last paragraph is not cycling 150+ should not she body fat or shed pounds? What is the difference?

is this a troll?
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    If you aren't weighing your solid food and measuring your liquid foods how do you know how much to log in your diary?

If you begin doing this you will see your weight start to mo
  • concordancia
    Options
    When you enter a food into MFP, it shows a serving size. For example, many things are 1oz (28 grams). To be accurate in your calorie counting, you need to know that you are eating the amount in a serving.

As for body fat vs pounds, it is possible to lose weight and still have the same % of body fat. If you aren't eating enough protein, your body will use your muscles to get protein for other functions. If you aren't getting enough calories, your body even might decide to use muscle, along with fat. Google "marathon training weight loss" and you will have a million options, including some tips about how to actually achieve it.
  • fruitsmarts
    fruitsmarts Posts: 9
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Xmonroemisfit perhaps I am misunderstanding my training and this application. Coming back from an injury and in competitive form, the lighter you are the better to a degree.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Xmonroemisfit perhaps I am misunderstanding my training and this application. Coming back from an injury and in competitive form, the lighter you are the better to a degree.

Yes but if you have a choice wouldn't you want to lose as much of the weight from fat(which won't help you in competition) and preserve as much muscle weight as you can(which will help you in competition)
  • fruitsmarts
    fruitsmarts Posts: 9
    edited November 2014
    Options
    So, concordancia if it is not pre-weighed then I weigh it to get accurate information? The information that I put into MFP is useless or at best an estimate?
  • concordancia
    Options
    If you are having troubles, I would even suggest weighing the "pre-weighed" products, as they are allowed 20% leeway in accuracy.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options

As an athlete, wouldn't losing muscle do more harm than good?
  • fruitsmarts
    Options
    I guess it depends on the what you are trying to achieve.