Need help on blood work numbers

Options
I went to the doctors and my cholesterol was high and unchanged from 5 months ago. My A1C was also the same and I am on Metformin. I lost 20lbs additional pounds since then and a total of 95lbs from my heaviest in life. The doc asked what I have been eating and the list is short because I was not heavy from binging and uncontrollable cravings, but rather just lack of planning and obtaining the right food. I have no trouble sticking to an eating plan. I eat lots of Kidney Beans, Salad, Eggs, Tuna, Chicken Breast, Beef, Almonds and Protein Shakes. I never eat bread, pasta, rice or potatoes. I lift heavy and often. The Doc said NG to the beans (too high in sodium) eggs are bad for cholesterol, Tuna should be limited due to Mercury, avoid red meat, Nuts are high in fat and the shakes are not 'real food' so he would not suggest them.

Chicken and salad? I am loosing weight and building strength. If I had to, I could eat only chicken and salad but there must be another way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Canned foods typically have a lot of sodium. If you buy dry beans and cook them yourself, you can control the amount of sodium.

Limiting tuna is not the same as never eating tuna.

Nuts are high in fat, but mostly in the type of fats are typically associated with lowering cholesterol. This seems an odd recommendation for someone trying to lower cholesterol.

Eggs are tricky. For most people they will not have a significant impact on blood cholesterol levels, but since yours is not going down, it might be a good to limit them.

Why only salad? You could eat cooked vegetables as well. And you could sometimes eat other fish that are lower in mercury. Most smaller white fish are pretty low.

Do you eat any grains? Adding oats might help lower your cholesterol.
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add that I am allergic to shellfish and have a hard time eating any fish other then Flounder and fish with a similar taste. Examples of grains I can find when out of the house during the day? I have a microwave and a debit card as my only nutritional tools.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    tomsarno wrote: »
    Forgot to add that I am allergic to shellfish and have a hard time eating any fish other then Flounder and fish with a similar taste. Examples of grains I can find when out of the house during the day? I have a microwave and a debit card as my only nutritional tools.

Some people add oats to their smoothies, though I honestly don't know what that tastes like as I don't do smoothies. You could also look for packaged granola, though most of that tend to be high in sugar so you'd have to be selective in your choice. Oats can be cooked in the microwave.

I don't really know the mercury content of different fishes without looking it up, but a general rule is the larger or longer living the fish, the higher the mercury content.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Beans are not inherently high in sodium. Canned beans are very high in sodium. I recommend buying dried beans and cooking them yourself. Vegetarian meat substitutes have no saturated fat and are high in protein. Mock-ground beef + beans & veggies served with whole grain toast = extremely heart healthy, as long as you don't douse it with salt.

As for getting more grains, I love eating baggies of cheerios. Oatmeal with cranberries/any berries/cinnamon. Whole wheat goldfish crackers are surprisingly delicious.

Use olive oil instead of butter for cooking. It's lower in saturated fat.

If you drink heavily or smoke, that could also be preventing you from reaching your cholesterol goals.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Eggs are not bad for cholesterol. We've known this for over 30 years. Find a new doctor who is knowledgeable about diet. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7124663
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Eggs are not bad for cholesterol. We've known this for over 30 years. Find a new doctor who is knowledgeable about diet. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7124663

Actually, this in not always true. For most people dietary cholesterol has only a minimal impact on blood cholesterol. But for some, it can have a substantial impact.
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I was told that eggs eaten before the test effect the readings and not give an accurate indication of health
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Eggs are great for improving your lipid profile. They increase HDL and lower LDL. They might elevate total cholesterol in some, but elevated total cholesterol is a less important indicator of cardiovascular risk than your LDL/HDL ratio. Do you happen to know what that was? Has it changed at all? Were your triglycerides elevated?

Also, what was your A1C?

If your AIC hasn't changed and it is elevated, you are insulin resistant. It is going to take time is improve this. I would be careful about not eating a large amount of carbohydrates in any one meal (beans are actually pretty high in carbohydrates), limit them overall, and I would maybe even look into intermittent fasting or no carbs at dinner to allow your body to switch burning ketones, at least occasionally or overnight.

This is just my opinion, so do you own research. I probably would also get a doctor more informed on current nutrition, maybe even talk to one who specializes in diabetes.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I think eating more whole grains will help lower your cholesterol, especially LDL. I eat whole grains every day (oatmeal for breakfast and usually brown rice with lunch or dinner) and my cholesterol has never been better. I can't eat eggs because they make me sick so maybe that helps too, but I eat anything and everything else!
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I eat no grains and as many eggs as I want (3 dozen per week or so). Been doing this about 8 months. My lipid profile taken a couple of weeks ago was stellar. My total cholesterol was normal, my LDL/HDL ratio was 1, my triglyceride/HDL ratio was 0.75 mg/dL.

Here's a reference point for some of those numbers:

healthy-cholesterol-range.png

ratio-graphic.jpg

Here are the basics:

cholesterol-chart-level-cholesterol-and-triglyceride-numbers.jpg

Given that my HDL was 85, it falls into very low risk across the board:

Cholesterol-Risk-Chart.png
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    If you haven't met with a registered dietitian recently, you can ask your doctor for a referral. She'll look at what you're currently eating and make suggestions for changes to your food choices so you can reach your health goals. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Good job and Congratulations on losing weight and following your plan. :) (*) B)

It is true that the shakes can count as "processed" food for some people (your doctor specifically) but I do not understand why he is being difficult when clearly you are successful about losing weight.

Can you eat rice cakes bought at a regular grocery store? Bread?
    Check out some ethnic restaurants.
    In my neighborhood Cuban restaurants sell rice, beans, and corn.
    (Corn counts as a grain although I apologize for not 100% understanding.)
    Asian restaurants would be happy to sell you cooked rice.

Sardines and salmon are low-ish in mercury. You might not like the taste of sardines but I am pretty sure that you will like salmon as I find it much milder than tuna.
    If you eat flounder you probably eat Tilapia as well -- very little mercury.

My grocery store sells Frozen black eyed peas -- much lower in sodium than canned.

Regarding beans: I practically live off beans. They are easy to dump in a crockpot with some water over night. After I cook them, I can keep them in the fridge for a few days.
    BUT beware please that kidney beans have a toxin that home cooks need to be aware of:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/471606-are-red-kidney-beans-toxic/
    http://extension.psu.edu/food/preservation/faq/raw-kidney-beans
    Apparently, one needs to thoroughly cook the beans (high temperature). So when I use the crock pot I use beans other than kidney.
    I use these instead: black beans, chick peas, lentils.

In addition to salad you can use the broad range of vegetables: Eat lots of broccoli, swiss chard, kale, spinach, romaine, cabbage, mushrooms, asparagus, avocados, okra, cauliflower, bell peppers, snow peas, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, winter squash, brussels sprouts. Many of these can be eaten raw -- no fancy preparation.

Can you explain for us what you mean by the microwave and the debit card?
    If you have no way to cook your food except in the microwave we can give specific instructions for that.

It would be nice if you had access to a better doctor who knows more about blood sugar:
    -Internist
    -Endocrinologist
    -Diabetologist
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are already on the right track... If I were you I'd be getting a second opinion as his recommendations seem shaky. Eggs are high in good cholesterol not bad you could definitely do with some more whole grains though for B vitamins etc. Oats in your smoothies could help this, I usually use about a quarter of a cup or 5grams, use a decent blender though to get it smooth. Beans are great, try getting the dry ones in a packet though if you're worried about sodium and just rehydrate them in water. I would limit the tuna to 3 small cans a week though (95g can) as they can contain mercury. Red meat is also fine as long as you don't go nuts with it (as with anything). Did he say which type of cholesterol was high? you have both good and bad cholesterol levels and it is important to know which was high as some doctors don't actually test for this.
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Oh also, frozen stir fry veggies are a must if you only have a microwave, you can chuck them in a bowl with some soy sauce and nuke them until cooked. You can also buy 90 second brown rice you can do in the microwave :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    What is your A1c and how many grams of carbs are you eating per day?
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    If you haven't met with a registered dietitian recently, you can ask your doctor for a referral. She'll look at what you're currently eating and make suggestions for changes to your food choices so you can reach your health goals. ~Lynn /Glucerna

^^^^^this

I get so much mixed information. I am going to start with what the dietician told me and see how my numbers go.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol is a tricky one. For most people, you just have to maintain a healthy weight and exercise and you're good. For others, it's more complicated.

I'm one of the unfortunate souls who has crappy high cholesterol due to genetics. The first time I had it checked in my 20's it was terrible! I've never been overweight. I've always eaten very wholesome, low processed foods, lean meats, high fiber, etc. and I'm fairly athletic. I had no risk factors, other than an extremely stressful job.

A few years ago I decided to see if dropping a few pounds would make a difference. I already had a technically healthy BMI, and OK body fat %, but it was at the high end of healthy and I could stand to lose a few, aesthetically speaking.

I didn't see my cholesterol drop until I got my weight down to the low end of the healthy range for my height. I guess maybe my body wants me to be a little on the thin side? Around the same time I retired from my hell job >:) so maybe that was a factor as well.

Even after getting my BMI just below 20, my cholesterol is still borderline high, but NOW my good to bad ratio is awesome, so it's all good and my doctor's happy.

Good luck figuring out what works for you, OP. You'll get there! :)
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My readings are in Australian notation. After suffering an infarction, I took my total chol from 5.5 (marginally over) to 2.2 (damn near as low as you can go) by cutting fats, especially offal fats and adding oat bran to my diet. During this time my BMI was 40 and my final HDL:LDL ratio was 1:1.2.

Even though I have now lost 23Kgs and now have a BMI of 32 my HDL:LDL is unchanged. My doctor wants me to INCREASE my cholesterol in an attempt to raise the HDL:LDL ratio to 2:1. He suggests olive oil.

From this I interpret that the ratio is more important than the total.
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Be aware that cholesterol numbers can be heavily influenced by genetics. So even if you do all the right things your numbers can be high. I used to eat a low fat vegan diet and my total cholesterol was still 200! It's even higher now that I eat animal products again. I have to wonder my parents' numbers were, they put butter on everything in copious quantities, ate red meat all the time and tons of full fat dairy. They died of cancer but had no signs of heart disease.

- The number one thing to avoid is trans fat in any form.
    - You should limit saturated fat. Dietary sources of saturated fat are animal products such as meat (including poultry), egg yolks, dairy, fish and tropical oils like palm oil and coconut oil.
    - Eat plenty of fiber. You can even take a fiber supplement like metamucil three times a day and knock a few points off your cholesterol numbers that way. Whole grains have a lot of fiber.
    - If you eat dairy go for low fat or nonfat versions. Soy milk is a good substitute for whole milk if you don't like skim milk. Soy milk has less fat and it's most polyunsaturated. It also has protein unlike almond or coconut milk.
    - You can eat egg whites or egg substitutes like Egg Beaters.
    - Beans are good for you. Minimize the sodium by rinsing canned beans before using. I have seen bags of cooked beans in the freezer section. Or make your own beans at home from dried beans. Once you've cooked them then you can freeze them in portions to use later. You can make them on the stove or in a crockpot. (Check out warnings about cooking kidney beans and red beans, they must be boiled for at least 10 minutes.)
    - There are many soy foods out there besides soy milk. Breakfast patties, crumbles, burgers, tofu dogs, tempeh, tofu, edamame, soy protein shakes, etc... Find stuff you like and can substitute for animal products. Also you can get Nayonaise, which is soy based substitute for mayonnaise.
    - On the subject of protein shakes you can get shakes made with soy, hemp, or pea protein. If you're lifting they are very useful to get that extra protein.
    - Eat whole grains for the extra fiber.
    - Chicken of the Sea makes skinless boneless salmon in cans, looks just like tuna fish cans and you don't have to worry about mercury. Sardines are another canned fish that are low in mercury, also mackerel. You can get sardines in tomato or mustard sauce too.
    - Plant sterols can lower cholesterol. Smart Balance makes several products (margarine, peanut butter, others) which contain these. Or you can take them as supplements.
    - Guggul is a supplement that is supposed to reduce cholesterol. (See the book The 8 Week Cholesterol Cure for a list of supplements).
    - Obviously eat lots of veggies and some fruits.
    - Nuts are okay in moderation because the fats are mostly monounsaturated. But they are caloric so weigh them or count them out. 10 almonds is a good serving size.
    - Here are links to 2 government plans for reducing cholesterol thru diet.

• DASH diet - http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf
    • TLC diet - http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/chol/chol_tlc.pdf
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctors and my cholesterol was high and unchanged from 5 months ago.
    Knowing your total cholesterol is only knowing part of the picture. As someone else noted, what is your LDL? What is your HDL? What are your triglycerides? Do you know the partical size of your LDL and HDL? These are all factors that need to be known and considered.
    As for the eggs, maybe switch to Eggbeaters. 1 cup = 130 calories and 0 cholesterol. A registered dietician can give you better advice, but I don't think removing the nuts or tuna from your diet is the answer. They contain heart-healthy fats. I do have one question: Is it fresh tuna or tuna from a packet? If in a packet, how is it packaged: in oil or water? Salmon is also a good heart healthy fish. Also, do you eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables? They're high in fiber which helps lower your cholesterol.
    Lastly, you didn't mention how much cardio you're doing. There are multiple studies that show running/jogging more than 21 miles a week helps raise your HDL cholesterol (the good one).
    In short, there's more to this than just a number. There are a lot of factors that come into play, including genetics.