Ideal Protein Dieters

Options
I have been on Ideal Protein for about 3.5 weeks. Looking for friends/support of anyone else that is on this plan.

Replies

• emnelson21212
    Options
    Hello! I started Ideal Protein in July and hit my goal about six weeks ago. Have been on Phase 4 maintenance since then and so far so good. Would love to connect to other IP dieters in any phase for sharing thoughts and support.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You're wasting your money, just use MFP and track what you eat...
  • dqueenmama
    dqueenmama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for Ideal Protein today. Stocked up ready to start day one tomorrow. Armed with veggies, lean proteins and Walden Farms for dressings. Would love to also connect with others. And AJ_G, sometimes people need a strict regimented program to follow, as eating can be more psychological and a complete overhaul is needed (thus remove choices...at least for awhile)
  • TemeraldMarie
    TemeraldMarie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Looking for friends with open diaries. Especially those who have a protein rich diets.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    dqueenmama wrote: »
    I just signed up for Ideal Protein today. Stocked up ready to start day one tomorrow. Armed with veggies, lean proteins and Walden Farms for dressings. Would love to also connect with others. And AJ_G, sometimes people need a strict regimented program to follow, as eating can be more psychological and a complete overhaul is needed (thus remove choices...at least for awhile)

That's how diets fail, by restricting entire food groups, but good luck anyway. That's also not a reason to need to pay somebody to tell you what to eat. If you're gonna restrict your diet, you can still just buy your own food.
  • fabidevo
    Options
    here guys let me help. its basic nutrition that you need to know before going on any diet program. your body has a very complex yet somewhat simple system of operations that determines if you either gain weight, lose weight, or maintain the current weight you currently have. to get to the simple basics of nutrition and weight control you must know that calories in = calories out. this means that if you are consuming more calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight,( which can be found using your TDEE ,total daily energy expenditure) you will gain weight, this is also known as a caloric surplus. so in order to lose weight you must eat less calories than your maintenance (TDEE). and in order to maintain you must eat the same amount of calories your body expends per day. so at the end of the day calories in=calories out is the only secret to weight management. now there are also nutrients your body needs in order to maintain healthy body metabolism, growth, and other essential bodily functions. there are 2 groups of nutrients the MACRO-nutrients and the MICRO-nutrients. the MACROS are CARBOHYDRATES, PROTEIN, and FATS. Your body needs a good amount of each MACRO- nutrient(which depends on your personal needs) aka not everyone is the same nor will everyone react the same to certain preset percentages of them. although a good rule of thumb is to have balance in proportion to your calorie goal. There are 9 calories per gram of FAT, and 4 calories per gram of PROTEIN, as well as CARBS. Now , the MICRO-nutrients (VITAMINS & MINERALS) and are also helpful and essential yet they are needed in much lower quantities. They are also necessary (just like MACRO-nutrients) in regards to human health. NOW in order to get your TDEE you can use many types of calculations but i recommend using this ----> http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ just plug in the numbers and adjust accordingly for either weight loss, or gain, or just keep it the same for maintenance.

Now that we have basics of nutrition let me help you with the Basics of your DIET. now a DIET is not something we go on or off, even though you may think this is what a diet is actually defined and thought of, a DIET is the kinds of foods a person consumes on a regular and habitual basis. a DIET can consist of many types of foods, but as long as your DIET consists of a majority of whole foods, fruits, and vegetables, one can eat whatever they want if it fits in their MACROS and calories. I and many active fitness/health people follow the DIET of IIFYM (if it fits your MACROS). which is basically flexible dieting aka eating foods you love and like while meeting your macro nutrient needs. now this so called DIET does not mean you can eat whatever types of foods all day everyday in untracked amounts. it simply states that if you eat a majority of whole foods and vegetables and meet the minimum required MACROS your body needs you can also eat other things which a majority of uninformed people consider as "bad foods". there is no good or bad food in the sense that their are only foods. now any types of foods can either help you achieve and meet your MACROS or not, but all that IIFYM really does is help you be flexible in what you eat. of course balance and moderation is required. so if you eat a majority of whole foods, friuts, and vegetables (around 80 percent of your diet) you can have those other foods in your diet as well.

here are some links for those who wish to read & learn more about nutrition and iifym.

WHAT ARE MACRO &MICRO NUTRIENTS AND WHAT DO THEY DO?

IIFYM GUIDE

BEGINNERS GUIDE TO IIFYM

MORE IN-DEPTH INFO ON CALORES AND MACROS

NUTRITION FOR NEWBIES

• Teal4me
    Teal4me Posts: 104
    Options
    Whats Ideal Protien? Is it Idealshape shakes?
  • DJ_1977
    DJ_1977 Posts: 9 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It's funny how people get off the subject right away. NO ONE came here asking about "IIFYM". The person who started this thread wanted to know if anyone was using "Ideal Protein" as a method of losing weight, and perhaps make friends along with supporting others using the same method.

There is a serious lack of etiquette in the MFP community. There is no right way or wrong way to losing weight. You can find pros and cons, scientific facts, personal success stories (facts) and etc. for every weight loss method known. I know people who are on "fast food diets" and losing weight. If you take the time to look it up, you'll find success stories on the fast food diet as well.

People seem to forget that ultimately it's up to the person who is on the diet. Also, it depends what kind of habits and characteristics they have developed. Whether they are strong mentally, how active the are willing to be physically, their confidence (past failures, lack of discipline or normally have low self-esteem), if they can only work as part of a team (accountability friends/support), just to name a handful of things.

Let people DO the methods they want to BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE WORKING FOR THEM. They don't need to come here and have people say (in few words) "that's the wrong way". Saying such a thing IS the wrong way because we have no background, besides what they are willing to share with us, on anyone who joins MFP.

Though this app / community is fairly anonymous, I KNOW it takes many people having to gather up all the courage they have just to be on MFP, having to admit they have a problem, tell their story, ask for help, looking for support, etc. Not many people come here with confidence. For some, their confidence deteriorated with the weight gain or if they have been overweight their whole lives.

Just some perspective.

What works for YOU ... may not work for someone else.

Being a one-track minded *kitten* forcing your method on someone else is not being supportive.

It's messing with people's minds and being counter productive.

• Teal4me
    Teal4me Posts: 104
    Options
    Well said DJ! Agree 100% people can get really rude!
  • DJ_1977
    DJ_1977 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Teal4me wrote: »
    Well said DJ! Agree 100% people can get really rude!

I think many of the people, even those whom come off rude, are good people. I think some of these people are just very passionate about their method to losing weight because it has worked so well for them. And they want other people on a weight loss journey to have the same success.

But ... some are just blatantly rude. It's weird to find such attitudes in a community where people are supposed to be helping other succeed. I have come across some threads where there was a "mob mentality" against the person who started the thread and eventually leading to that person deleting/deactivating their MFP account.

Anyhow, good luck with your journey.
    If you do decide to try they "Ideal Protein" method, make sure to post a thread telling us all how it's working out for you.

- DJ
  • fabidevo
    Options
    DJ_1977 wrote: »
    It's funny how people get off the subject right away. NO ONE came here asking about "IIFYM". The person who started this thread wanted to know if anyone was using "Ideal Protein" as a method of losing weight, and perhaps make friends along with supporting others using the same method.

There is a serious lack of etiquette in the MFP community. There is no right way or wrong way to losing weight. You can find pros and cons, scientific facts, personal success stories (facts) and etc. for every weight loss method known. I know people who are on "fast food diets" and losing weight. If you take the time to look it up, you'll find success stories on the fast food diet as well.

People seem to forget that ultimately it's up to the person who is on the diet. Also, it depends what kind of habits and characteristics they have developed. Whether they are strong mentally, how active the are willing to be physically, their confidence (past failures, lack of discipline or normally have low self-esteem), if they can only work as part of a team (accountability friends/support), just to name a handful of things.

Let people DO the methods they want to BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE WORKING FOR THEM. They don't need to come here and have people say (in few words) "that's the wrong way". Saying such a thing IS the wrong way because we have no background, besides what they are willing to share with us, on anyone who joins MFP.

Though this app / community is fairly anonymous, I KNOW it takes many people having to gather up all the courage they have just to be on MFP, having to admit they have a problem, tell their story, ask for help, looking for support, etc. Not many people come here with confidence. For some, their confidence deteriorated with the weight gain or if they have been overweight their whole lives.

Just some perspective.

What works for YOU ... may not work for someone else.

Being a one-track minded *kitten* forcing your method on someone else is not being supportive.

It's messing with people's minds and being counter productive.

sorry if you misunderstood my post. i was merely trying to give basic info on nutrition. and yes i know not everyone wants to do iifym but i was merely suggesting looking into it. whatever works for you you should keep doing but it doesn't hurt to try new things as long as you the basics down.

• fineh
    fineh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have seen great results on friends but I'm hesitant to try it. Should I go for it?
  • knich01
    Options
    I love Ideal Protein so far....It has been the easiset plan I have ever been on. I am down 19.6lbs in 5 weeks. Go for it!
  • Katelynkeeeks
    Options
    I've been on ideal protein for 3 weeks and I'm down 15 lbs. Its hard with the cravings some times but since I've lost that much in 3 weeks its more motivation to keep at it. I really prefer the ready made drinks. They taste a lot better than the packets. Also the brownies for the restricted. They taste just like a fiber one brownie.
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen many others post about ideal protein either. I have been on it since Nov 13, and have lost 22lbs.....34inches, with 7 inches from my midsection alone. I'm always looking for new ways to be creative, but am absolutely loving the way I feel....and the food isn't half bad either. I just got a Ninja blender for Christmas and have used it daily since for the drink mixes makes it like an ice-cream smoothie...heaven to a former ice cream addict)...and love it. Good luck!
  • knich01
    Options
    Same to you! I love ideal protein! I am down a total of just over 40lbs since September 2, of last year. I started IP on OCT 19th. All but 6 lbs of my weight loss has been on IP. I would love to share ideas/ recipes with you
  • meknox61
    meknox61 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Started Ideal Protein last year. Lost 58 lbs and the doc put me on thyroid pills, I became ravenous and gained back 25 pounds because I never transitioned to the next phase or maintenance. I just started eating and eating . . .

Begin again last week (starting weight 236) and will weigh in tomorrow. I have recommitted to the protocol and plan to get to goal without interruption this time. Will be glad to share the journey with others here doing the same kind of protocol.

FTR, I did not begin IP for weight loss but because I had become insulin resistant and did not want to have ti take insulin. The doctor suggested this protocol to shut my pancreas down, give it a rest and bring my BG levels down.

The diet also helps with other aspects of metabolic syndrome. Across the board my lab results improved at three months and then again at six months. Cholesterol dropped from 210 to 135, blood pressure normal now, glucose levels great, inflammation (from lupus) reducing steadily.

I hadn't intended to diet, but the results were so amazing I have decided to keep with the protocol until I reach a healthier weight.

favidebo, IP is not about losing weight through the system of calories in-calories out, though limiting calories to about 900 per day plays a part in the weigh loss. IP dieters lose weight because they enter and remain safely in ketosis and burn fat cells for their energy needs above the 900 or so calories we consume.

Phase one is not about eating balanced meals, but focuses on healthy ways to create an unbalanced diet for a specified time. The diet has a beginning and it has an end. After reaching the weight goals, carbs are reintroduced, turning the pancreas' insulin production back on. We learn how to separate macro nutrients properly and eat balanced meals at that point called maintenance.

During the protocol our we add the necessary micro nutrients we are missing from our diet while losing weight. We have coaches, daily nutritional videos, help with interesting meals and other benefits to help us from start to finish.

So, please, ask before lecturing people, or presuming you know what we have committed to do or why.

I have a bit of weight left to lose, so I am looking forward to meeting others on IP or alternate IP protocols.
  • cmccalpine1
    Options
    knich01 wrote: »
    I have been on Ideal Protein for about 3.5 weeks. Looking for friends/support of anyone else that is on this plan.

• wylothar
    wylothar Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I will be in need of and also want to assist in IP support for people. I am in remote West Texas.

I started IP in 2010 for 6 months 80# lost. I moved and wasn't able to transition beyond phase 1. Now after life events and not staying in check I am starting IP over again. The 28th will be my day 1.
    I am not from zero again, I am heading it off. But I have gained over 1/2 back. I do not blame the diet itself. It isn't a valid argument when it took me a few years to get it back. Lifestyle choices and environment. To blame the diet is a cop out. All diets are flawed and have an adaptation and rebound effect at some point. That is part of human metabolic and feast and famine capacity. Add in our modern society and you are in a constant gambit.

I am well read on the science and biology how low carb works. I have read and practiced many different methods of low carb dieting. I think IP has some weakness but overall it works because of regimen and the largest part of the diet is consistent with others, The lack of deep knowledge my coach had was an issue previously. I will have to wait and see if this coach is any more knowledgeable than my last one. One of my first low carb books read were bodyopous which has been out of publishing for a while now. The fitness bodybuilding world knew about this style of dieting since before Atkins first book. Also one of the first low carb books the Banting Diet was published in 1863 so low carb is not a Fad in any shape. And most methods have more similar than different.

Carbohydrates are not an essential nutrient. Protein and fats are. Your body can make essential glucose needs pretty easy through excess protein consumption through a process of gluconeogenisis. From my observations the largest flaw I see with IP is they don't recognize fats as good. In 2010 they didn't recognize maybe adding some more fat to help kick in the Keto. They didn't mention keto those days. Now it is on the idealprotein.com webpage.

it still boils down to calories consumed. But not all calories a metabolized the same. If you are very metabolically damaged you may have to always be in a very low carb lifestyle.
    Zero carbohydrate can down regulate your thyroid. A small fairly insignificant insulin bump every 7-10 days appears to off set this. Simple inexpensive read, 'carbnite' by Dr. Keifer has some pretty good science of the low carb ketogenic process.
    Why-We-Get-Fat-Bonus.pdf
  • Werfam
    Werfam Posts: 29
    Options
    So, have been on for 4 days , snowed in and exercised for a good hour and half, and I fell victim to eating everything last night. Help- what should I do today?