walking to lose weight and burn fat, does it work?

Options
Can I burn fat and tone up by walking? How about if I use the incline on the treadmill, will this help firm my legs and butt?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    If it helps with calorie deficit then yes it can help.
  • hippo421
    hippo421 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes, walking is great start!
  • mommyofjan
    mommyofjan Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Walking on my treadmill is the only exercise I do. Along with a calorie deficit and the treadmill, I lost until my goal weight.
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've lost 75 pounds walking (mainly eating less, though).

I think that if you are going to cut down significantly on calories, walking can keep your active and help with your metabolism (so you don't need to eat more to support the exercise).

I live down south so I walk outside in the morning. I don't think I could commit to an hour on a treadmill every day for the rest of my life. A good walk outside is another story.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You can play Xbox all day and lose weight, so long as you're eating at a calorie deficit. As for legs/butt, run and do squats.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It can help. Walking on an incline will definitely help firm and tone. All by itself, walking might not be enough to reach the level of cardio where the heartrate is elevated for a sustained length of time. But you can always increase the speed of the walking or incline. All you really need to do is create that calorie deficit between how many calories you take in and how many you burn up.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    You can play Xbox all day and lose weight, so long as you're eating at a calorie deficit. As for legs/butt, run and do squats.
    Yep
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Walking will help improve your cardiovascular fitness, to a point. It will also help you to build some muscle on your legs, to a point. You will definitely burn some calories while doing it. It will not "firm your legs and body", only fat loss will accomplish what you're calling "firming" and that's reached by a calorie deficit and your body decides for itself which fat stores it's going to reduce first.

I say "to a point" above because while someone new to exercise will see some modest gains in those areas, there is only so much that walking can do over the long term to increase muscle mass and provide cardiovascular benefits. Also, as you lose weight, your body is working less to move you around so the gains stop and can even reverse as time goes on. Walking will, of course, always help you to burn more calories but that calorie burn will decrease as you become accustomed to that level of exertion.

I post all of this not as a discouragement but as a caveat. Walking is a great way to get started on an exercise program but depending on your long term goals, it will probably not be enough for long.
  • mellowkate
    mellowkate Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes! Walking's a good start for sure. I mostly run, but on days when I'm just too dang tired, I tell myself I'll "just walk on incline." Wouldn't you know, I'm always sorer after those days haha (But yes, I second the squats comment, too.)
  • StepsLightlyCloser
    Options
    Yes, walking can definitely help, particularly well for fat burning. Not only will you burn more calories than at a sedentary state, but in low-intensity exercise such as walking, us when your body burns the most fat for fuel as opposed to other exercises (besides incredibly long endurance events, but even then your glycogen stores must be used up first, and not many of us do marathon-length or longer races haha!) Learning about this currently since I'm a nutrition major. I hope I could help!!
  • Jecka987
    Jecka987 Posts: 47 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Walking is great exercise. Getting up early in the morning and going for a walk before you eat anything is a technique used by figure competitors to help burn fat leading up to a competition. Walking doesn't raise your cortisol levels (like running), it is easier on your joints, it is great for your mind as well as your body to get outside, there is not equipment required (other than shoes, and maybe a jacket).

To lose weight you need to be in a calorie deficit. Walking will help you burn more calories than not walking and so help create a deficit. If you track your food accurately and keep in a deficit you will lose weight.

I would concur that if you want to firm your butt and thighs you are better to lift weights - squats, deadlifts, lunges etc. Staying in a calorie deficit will help you lose weight, off all areas of your body, and stripping the fat off you butt and thighs they will start to look more "toned", as long as there is some muscle underneath to show through!
  • JLCrunch
    JLCrunch Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My mom lost 60 lbs in about 8 months in the late 90s eating at a reasonable deficit (not starving herself) and walking 6-8 miles a day. I've been walking 5-6 miles on average 5 times a week and eating at a calorie deficit (most days <.<), I've lost 14.8 lbs since October 6th.
  • TheRealKit
    TheRealKit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yes. I both run and walk. If my back or knee bothers me I just walk. I do mine outdoors and I have found a route near my home with the most hills . I can walk on a track the same 5- 10 miles and don't feel like I have done a thing. Walking mostly up and down hills makes me feel the burn I need!

plus walking is a great stress reliever
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I mostly walk. Outdoors in nice weather. Indoor track when not (or when I want a really fast walk). I also do the stationary bike.

I have definitely toned my legs (I am also trying to lose weight, but that doesn't seem to be your issue). If you do want to lose weight, you will need a calorie deficit. With all that said, strengthening exercises are a better bet for really good toning. Walking is a great cardio working and increases your stamina!

Just remember, unless you incorporate some exercise for your upper body and core, you won't get total toning. When I walk the indoor track, I punch the air in front of me. I punch the air above me. I keep my arms moving. You can get this toning in other ways, too.

Finally, if you want to burn fat, (not necessarily lose weight), keep your heartrate in the Fat Burning area. That would be 220 - (your age) * .60. Then the same, but times .70. That is the ideal fat burning heartrate. Not very intense.

Also, make sure to stretch!

56604121.png
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Actually I get the squats advice (and lunges and weights) but to be honest I don't think running is better for you than walking fast / at a gradient in terms of leg exercise or cardio .. and certainly there's an argument that running is worse for the knees

but then I'm an avid non-runner :smiley:
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    yes I am a perfect example

29509743.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Can I burn fat and tone up by walking? How about if I use the incline on the treadmill, will this help firm my legs and butt?
    You don't burn up much fat while exercise. Your body will utilize glycogen until it's expended then go to fat stores, but that takes a lot of exercise (usually over 2 hours or more) for it to usually happen. You burn the most fat at rest, so make sure you're getting enough sleep.
    Also, you may initially get some muscle shock in the beginning, but as you lose weight you're using less resistance, so toning up will be very minimal at best.
    If you add some resistance training (and it doesn't have to be crazy), you'll tone up your muscle much better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Of course it will help. You won't build huge leg muscles by taking a little walk every day, but it's better than nothing.

Every little bit helps. :)