Slimming World Syns Help!

Options
Hi there!

I've just started Slimming World to give my weight loss a head start. I'm doing the extra easy and I understand how it works. However I'm a bit stuck on how to calculate say pre made salads and sandwiches. For example for lunch I had Waitrose 3 grain, fennel and apple salad.

Nutritional Information:
Per serving (200g)
Calories: 408kcal
Fat: 23.2g
Sat fat: 2.6g
Carbs: 40.4g
Sugars:7.4g
Fibre: 4.4g
Protein: 7.0g
Salt: 0.78g

Ingredients:
Cooked grains (49%)(water,spelt,red rice, quinoa seeds)
Apple (12%)
Fennel (12%)
Sunflower oil
White wine vinegar
Honey
Lemon juice
Pumpkin seeds
Sunflower seeds
Spinach
Garlic puree
Salt
Chives
Basil
Fennel seeds
Mint
Black pepper
Star anise

I logged it in the syns calculator online as I couldnt search it on Slimming Worlds database and it comes out as a whopping 20.5 syns! But surely most of the ingredients are free foods?

Please can someone explain this!

Replies

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Why not just go by calories instead of converting them to other units?
  • annethom1980
    annethom1980 Posts: 19
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The syns in prepacked meals normally come from the oils and how the product was prepared, I think with your salad as well alot of syns come from the seeds
    Pumpkin seeds are 8syns for 28g

Feel free to add me if you want a sw friend
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    edited November 2014
    Options
    For some reason, SW doesn't count any free food allowance in prepacked sandwiches and such so you have to count the whole thing as syns - 1 per 20 calories.

If you have access to SW online, check if the food is in the database as they may have calculated the true value. I would expect it to still be quite high though, as over half the calories are coming from fat which is always synned.

ETA: I no longer do SW, I didn't like their rules of free or not. Straight forward calorie limits work much better for me.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It should say in your book. I personally no longer do it, I find having to syn sandwiches kind of sad, it has healthy stuff in it, yeah probably heaps of salt, but it's not like it's a burger. Why don't you just do MFP and calorie count, so much easier.
  • NicNac86
    NicNac86 Posts: 130
    Options
    If your pre-packed sandwich is on wholemeal bread, you can use the bread as your healthy extra B and take 6 syns off the syn value of the sandwich.

I joined SW in June and I like the meetings as they keep me accountable. I've recently started logging on here too mainly out of curiosity (how does the SW plan translate to calories for example).

They're changing the plan in a couple of weeks, so that'll be interesting!
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    This is a good place to ask about SW: http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/