HELP! I've plateaued and lost my motivation and I can't get up!

Options
Let me start with I don't want to quit. I truly want to continue to lose, but I've been losing and gaining the same pound for over 3 weeks now. My short term goal is another 10 lbs by the end of the year. I thought it would be as easy as the first 20. Unfortunately, my life suddenly became filled with stress. My stress, family stress, kids stress, money stress, health stress, - you name it, I've got it! Somehow I've managed to stay under calories (by some miracle), but I have no desire to work out. I even tried convincing myself to do the Couch to 5K so I could do a Santa Run. That was 5 days ago and I have only completed 1 session.
How do you handle a stumbling block like this?

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    If I relied on motivation, I would rarely workout. Seriously. I usually feel good afterward, but I don't generally want to get started.

It is just something that I do. Like brushing my teeth or cleaning the bathroom. Last night, I didn't feel like working out, but I did. Because it was time to workout, not because I was motivated or excited to do so.

I know it can be hard at first, but you need to just start with the "it's time to workout" mentality, even if you don't feel like it. Establish a habit. Once the habit is established, it will get easier.

But relying on motivation really isn't the answer.
  • catmveach
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I have 10 lbs to go as well and with the holidays coming its only getting more stressful. I totally have no motivation to work out as well, probably because it is -1 degree (real feel) currently. I go to work in the dark and get off work in the dark, two excuses that are hard to look past. I have decided that as long as I stay under the calorie goal through out this stressful time that I have won the battle in the weight loss war :). One way I'm "exercising" is playing the video games with the kids. They think mom is so cool because she wants to play the tennis or just dance, but what they really don't know its my form of exercising. I agree with SINGRUNTing; we just have to change our way of thinking and it will help. And be consistent. And don't be so hard on yourself, you have already lost 20 lbs, that's awesome!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i remind myself that saying 'Im not motivated' is the same as saying 'I dont wanna' - which isn't the truth. So I stand up and prove I wanna.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    95% of the things you stress and worry about aren't going to happen. The other 5% you probably couldn't have done anything about anyway.
    Life goes on and your outcome is really what you make of it. Be firm, be strong and just get it done. Getting it done will help with some of the stress.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i hear you!

ive been fluctuating up a pound and down for 2 weeks, today was a good day though the scale said 172.6 not a big difference could be water but it boosted my motivation. seeing the scale go down does make a difference. i would suggest amping up your work out, and be patient. easier said than done :(
  • annika2012
    annika2012 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You're not alone, I too have a short term goal of losing 10 lbs, I was losing between 1 to 2 lbs a week but that all of sudden stopped when I've hit my plateau last month. I was under calorie, eating mostly low fat food (high in carb, however) working out but could not shake off this number, for about a month I going between 135 - 136 lbs. I realized I hit a wall, if I am not careful I can gain the weight back. So I started researching online how to break through this wall. And I read in couple of blogs that advised their readers to switch up their diet and exercise routine, because the body might be holding on to the fat that's already in your body and does not want to burn it for energy. So with that in mind I set out to confuse or shock my system. I started eating fat, like donuts and sweets for 2 -4 days, but kept within my daily calorie goal. Then in my next weigh in I went from 136.2 lbs to 134.8 - it's not a drastic change but I've been losing small increments ever since, I am now in my current weight of 133.6 lbs. Since then I've increase the fat (without going overboard) and try to lower my daily carb intake (not always successful) and it worked for me, hope it will for you as well.
  • suzy0317
    suzy0317 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - some great suggestions....I love the idea of scheduling the workout time, whether I want to or not and also, just maintaining through the holiday season. I will probably do a combination of both. And as far as stress is concerned, most probably will not happen. But if even a small amount does, my life will change monumentally. I just have to remember to keep it all in perspective.