Barbie Body Image

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
Barbie Body Image

How toys like Barbie influence our body image
barbie doll

Check out this information on Barbie body image and how she is influencing girls around the world. How many girls grown up playing with Barbie dolls? A lot. Statistics show that two Barbie's are sold every second somewhere in the world. In fact, the average American girl from ages 3 to 11 owns 10. (1)

Barbie's Body Type
barbie body image graphic If you met Barbie as a human being, what would she look like? There are differing views. You can see one example in the picture to your right.

Another source says Barbie would stand about 5’6”, weigh nearly 120 pounds, and have the measurements 38-18-34. 38 inches for her chest - 18 inches at her waist - 34 at her hips. It is speculated that if Barbie were human, she would be so thin that she would not be able to menstruate. This is because she would not have the body fat percentage necessary to do so (1). Statistics say the Barbie body type is likely to occur in one out of every 100,000 women (2).

No matter what way you look at it, Barbie's body is not average...and also not easily attainable.

View more body image statistics here

Barbie's Impact

What impact does this have on young girls that spend hours and hours playing with these dolls? Do they want to become like Barbie and look like her?

We know that the more time we spend with anything, the more influence it has on us. If you spend weeks studying for a test, you'll probably do better than if you just spend a few minutes studying.

I think the same is true with our time. If we spend hours and hours playing with Barbie dolls, they are bound to have an influence on us. Just as if we would spend hours and hours playing video games.

Barbie Body Image...One Woman's Quest to Become Barbie
barbie There is one woman, Cindy Jackson, who was so influenced by Barbie that it became her life mission to look exactly like her. Her obsession to look like Barbie started when her parents bought her first Barbie at the age of 6. And she didn't give up until she reached her goal. She ended up spending about $55,000 and underwent 20 plastic surgery operations to reach her goal of becoming Barbie.(3)

20 operations!

This is just one more example of how impossible it is to reach this ideal image without major alterations of our natural beauty.

Advertising can also cause us to try to reach an unrealistic ideal image of beauty. Watch this eye-opening video to see for yourself.

A 1965 Barbie Body Image Message

I couldn't believe this when I read it....In 1965 Mattel came out with a “Slumber Party Barbie” that came complete with a bathroom scale permanently set at 110 pounds. The doll also came with a book entitled How to Lose Weight. And inside this book it gave the advice: “Don’t Eat”. The matching Ken doll also came with slumber party accessories, but his were milk and cookies, sending a very different message (1).

Barbie Transformed
barbie and ken Mattel received many criticisms about Barbie and the impact she has on young girls around the world. In the summer of 2000, they decided to change Barbie to a more modern look.

“The new Barbie will have a more natural body shape – less busty with wider hips.”

What caused Mattel to make these changes? One influence may have been a drop in sales. According to the Los Angles Business Journal, Barbie sales dropped from $2 billion to $1.5 billion in 1999.(4)

Body Image Lies

There are many other influences on our body image that just toys and advertising. Many times it is the thoughts within our minds and how we see ourselves. We can get to the point where we begin to believe lies about ourselves. Have you fallen for this body image lie?

http://www.teen-beauty-tips.com/barbie-body-image.html

Replies

• Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    This is the motivation for changing the proportions of barbie for the more recent dolls.
    There was a huge controversy about this years ago and the new Barbie dolls have smaller breasts, larger waists and more proportionate feet and hips.
  • Gidget85
    Gidget85 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like Barbie lol...I liked her fashion more then I thought about her boobs and hips.

I think the Brats dolls are way worse then barbie. At least she never dressed like a *kitten* at 15......lol
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    read somewhere that referenced not only barbie but G.I. Joe also. THe early GIJ dolls had no muscle definition or abs, in the 70;s it all started to change.

Not everyone could possible achieve any of those measurements. Hopefully you love yourseff for the way you are
  • joamarelo
    joamarelo Posts: 161
    Options
    Today It's call Thispiration
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    funny-pictures-anorexic-barbie-Pe7.jpg
  • sarah307
    Options
    read somewhere that referenced not only barbie but G.I. Joe also. THe early GIJ dolls had no muscle definition or abs, in the 70;s it all started to change.

Not everyone could possible achieve any of those measurements. Hopefully you love yourseff for the way you are

YES! I just thought this article was rather interesting! and I know the measurements are unrealistic - that was my point of posting the article! haha! I didn't know that about GI Joe - Crazy!
  • Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    What!! Am I the only one here who liked G.I. Joe cause they can do back flips and shoot people????? I didn't even know you could take their shirt off!!
  • aferbet
    aferbet Posts: 124
    Options
    I like Barbie lol...I liked her fashion more then I thought about her boobs and hips.

I think the Brats dolls are way worse then barbie. At least she never dressed like a *kitten* at 15......lol

EXACTLY!!! I hated Bratz dolls the day they came out with the "baby bratz" and the damn thing had a g-string on under her skirt.
  • Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    This picture is all wrong!! It's missing the little *kitten* purse!! lol!
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    people read way to much into things. Yea I would like to look like Ken but the number of Men that look like that are few and you have to constantly work at it. I just don't want to look like Ken that bad so he then becomes just a doll to me. As far as Barbie goes any woman that is so skinny she can't menstruate is WAY to skinny. There is one person I seen pics of recently and she looked really good had a nice waist line, nice arms, seemed to have good color and had nice breasts but the pic later showed a MUCH different view. In the after pic she still wasn't done losing weight yet and had a much smaller waist, looked kind of pale and almost non-existant breasts. Just like Men I firmly believe women need a lil meat on their bones. Barbie is just a doll, nothing more. Before you say anything I had a lot of Gi Joes too. They are just toys, nothing more.
  • Jenny2011
    Jenny2011 Posts: 30
    Options
    This picture is all wrong!! It's missing the little *kitten* purse!! lol!

OMG LMAO
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I once pushed a coyote off a cliff because of Roadrunner cartoons. The little umbrella was supposed to save him...
  • sarah307
    Options
    people read way to much into things. Yea I would like to look like Ken but the number of Men that look like that are few and you have to constantly work at it. I just don't want to look like Ken that bad so he then becomes just a doll to me. As far as Barbie goes any woman that is so skinny she can't menstruate is WAY to skinny. There is one person I seen pics of recently and she looked really good had a nice waist line, nice arms, seemed to have good color and had nice breasts but the pic later showed a MUCH different view. In the after pic she still wasn't done losing weight yet and had a much smaller waist, looked kind of pale and almost non-existant breasts. Just like Men I firmly believe women need a lil meat on their bones. Barbie is just a doll, nothing more. Before you say anything I had a lot of Gi Joes too. They are just toys, nothing more.

yeah i know! i'm not reading way too much into this haha i just read the article and thought others might think it's interesting! LOL. i am not anti-barbie or anything either people haha i had a million barbies back in the day. i just liked the article cause it shows the misrepresentation of how our society (and by society i mean -culture- not all people, goodness lol) believe that thinner is healthier. when it is sometimes not.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Barbies hips are way bigger than I thought then! Hmm how does a woman get 38 boobs and such a tiny waist? First place I lose weight from is my boobs they are now just deflated flaps lol no way I'd have a boob job tho
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    evolucia.jpg
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    its a doll...i had like 50 of them and i wasnt trying to look like barbie...i did have my favorite one...but mainly i just wanted her hair! lol this was when i was like 6
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I don't know if Barbies had any effect on me growing up.

I was obsessed with my weight and everything, but I don't know what started.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Oh, I had TONS of Barbies... but I also had Care Bears and My Little Ponies... and never wanted to grow hooves or fur.