Chronic illness, steroids, and weight loss

Options
Dealing with chronic illness while you're losing weight is, perhaps, the most frustrating thing.

Last time I lost a significant amount of weight, I ended up catching a cold, hospitalized for two weeks, put on mega steroids. I checked out of that hospital 21lbs heavier than I went in. Now, I "know" it's steroid and water weight (I certainly didn't gain that much picking at hospital food), but it's frustrating. I go change to go home with a stomach distended so much I couldn't button my jeans.

A bit ago, I was put on 60 mg of prednisone, which they kept continuing. For five months. My weight bounced and stuttered, I would look in the mirror and see myself all puffy and moony faced, and just couldn't believe my weight loss efforts were working at all.

Add to this the restrictions on activity level, where suddenly I'm totally sedentary, and it's just beyond upsetting.

In the past, these setbacks have been enough to just throw up my hands and give up completely. Now, I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for these setbacks, so I can overcome them.

Anyone else have similar problems? Anyone have suggestions for staying the course through chronic illness woes?

Replies

• kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I guess that would depend on what the medical issue is? Being left completely sedentary is a tough thing to imagine. I'd guess in that case that trying to keep your spirits up and realizing that the human body is an amazing thing and treated properly will try to heal itself would be a good thing.
  • TheRealKit
    TheRealKit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have had to take large amounts of steroids on and off for the past few years .
    They are so tough on the body and even affect our moods.

Just know that when you get knocked down that you will always get back up . Focus on your goal and know that no matter what life throws at you , that you can get there. One day at a time :) hugs
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    a couple of things - talk with your MD and team about your goals - they will help you get through this. but also be careful with managing the pred, etc - they will also help you with activities during the taper.

it's tough being on meds that hinder fitness and weight loss (I'm in a similar situation). it's triple tricky, cuz there could be appetite effects, you're not doing much, the meds will mess with the HPA axis, etc.

make sure you keep the dialogue open with your health team about your goals. keep bringing it up.

good luck!
  • GingerMoxie
    Options
    The hardest part is knowing it will happen again, and trying to psych myself up NOW so that when it inevitably happens, I'm ready.

I can't find any online support groups for chronic illness and weight loss, any pointers?