HELP - Need a book with recipes, grocery lists, meal plans, and workouts?!

Options
So one thing I have found over years and years of trying to lose weight is when I try to design meal plans, workout plans, shopping lists, etc myself - I fail.

I am looking for a book that I can literally turn to a page and know what meals I am eating that day, what workout to do that night, and has grocery lists so I can shop for exactly what I need (and only what I need) each week for my meals.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Was looking at the Atkins Made Easy book maybe?! Also saw one called The Lean Belly Prescription by Travis Stork.

Replies

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I know you are looking for a book to tell you what to do... Have you considered doing your own research and making a list of foods and recipes that you like? Also, what about joining a gym and highering a personal trainer? The two of you could then discuss your goals and the trainer can work up a personal plan just for you.

Edit: You could also schedule time with a nutritionist and get food ideas and recipes from them as well.
  • thcguy123
    Options
    Right now I am not ready to try to develop my own meals, nutrition, workout plans, etc. Maybe down the road as I begin to see what I am eating and doing through the book (they normally only last 4 weeks of plans) then I will be - just not yet.

As far as the personal trainer - I wish. They are very expensive and we can barely afford our groceries and bills. No extra $$$ for a trainer.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There's nothing you can't eat, you just need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight.

You don't need plans and lists as such, just moderation.
  • TavistockToad
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Double post, oops
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Eat what you eat now, just less of it. Check out the recipes forum if you're looking for new stuff to try, there are a lot of different recipes. As far as working out from home, you can check out fitnessblender.com, there are a ton of at home workouts there. Or google prison workout, those are also all bodyweight with little to no equipment needed. You can walk or run, or pick up some cheap DVDs from Target.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Sparkpeople.com is a free website that has the meal options. If you don't like an item on the menu, you could swap it for another one that fits your calorie budget. It also has a weekly grocery list option you could print. There is a "Workout Generator" for strength training and videos for cardio. You will have to design your own workout plan based on your goals but it doesn't take that long to do.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    There is this magical place called a Library. At this place there are books, lots and lots of books. You may have to do some actual research to find the right plan for you, but it is a good place to start.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Branstin wrote: »
    Sparkpeople.com is a free website that has the meal options. If you don't like an item on the menu, you could swap it for another one that fits your calorie budget. It also has a weekly grocery list option you could print. There is a "Workout Generator" for strength training and videos for cardio. You will have to design your own workout plan based on your goals but it doesn't take that long to do.

I second the recommendation for Sparkpeople if you prefer a more guided approach. Their meal plans never really worked for me because I prefer to customize my own meals, and their database was much more geared for a US audience (I'm Canadian). But Sparkpeople is good if you like MFP but want more guidance.
  • thcguy123
    thcguy123 Posts: 55
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I hate when people just say - eat what you want - just eat less. I am eating whole pizzas for dinner, two foot long subs for lunch, a breakfast burrito and quesadilla for breakfast, and a bag of chips as a snack. Of course I should just eat less. I know that already.

I don't thinking eating a 1/2 pizza, 1 sub, 1/2 bag of chips, and large breakfast burrito is going to change much - it's still to much and the wrong types of foods.

I need to be eating healthy veggies, fruits, protein, etc and not fast food. I need to be eating foods that help with fat loss and metabolism.

I eat fast food all the time because I lack a plan I can look at each day and know what I am going to eat, drink, workout, etc.

Maybe it's easy for others to make their own plans and just eat less calories but not for me. I need a step by step guide to follow for now!!!

I will check out the websites - thanks to everyone who gave suggestions. We don't like to use the computer for that stuff (workouts and meal plans - we need something in our hands to look at together) - that is why I was really hoping to find a BOOK. It's also nice to be able to take the book to the store for shopping OR take it to gym for workout. Can't take my PC there (kinda heavy - ha ha) and don't have a printer.

(p.s. - we can't get a library card due to some abuses of the system a long time ago - boo)
  • thcguy123
    Options
    By the way I do have a gym membership so I don't have to do home workouts (but was thinking maybe a quick 15 minutes in AM at home - then gym later).
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    thcguy123 wrote: »
    I hate when people just say - eat what you want - just eat less. I am eating whole pizzas for dinner, two foot long subs for lunch, a breakfast burrito and quesadilla for breakfast, and a bag of chips as a snack. Of course I should just eat less. I know that already.

I don't thinking eating a 1/2 pizza, 1 sub, 1/2 bag of chips, and large breakfast burrito is going to change much - it's still to much and the wrong types of foods.

I need to be eating healthy veggies, fruits, protein, etc and not fast food. I need to be eating foods that help with fat loss and metabolism.

I eat fast food all the time because I lack a plan I can look at each day and know what I am going to eat, drink, workout, etc.

Maybe it's easy for others to make their own plans and just eat less calories but not for me. I need a step by step guide to follow for now!!!

I will check out the websites - thanks to everyone who gave suggestions. We don't like to use the computer for that stuff (workouts and meal plans - we need something in our hands to look at together) - that is why I was really hoping to find a BOOK. It's also nice to be able to take the book to the store for shopping OR take it to gym for workout. Can't take my PC there (kinda heavy - ha ha) and don't have a printer.

(p.s. - we can't get a library card due to some abuses of the system a long time ago - boo)

You don't think halving your caloric intake would lead to weight loss?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    thcguy123 wrote: »

Actually that would cut your calorie intake in half and make a huge difference.
  • thcguy123
    Options
    I have already tried this of course - when your still eating this much horribly bad food you don't lose weight. The difference between eating 12000 calories a day and eating 6000 calories a day is great and all but I am still eating thousands and thousands over what I should be. What happens is just maintaining current weight or gaining slower. PLUS your still eating all this junk which I don't want to be eating anymore!!!!! It's not just about eating less calories - it's about burning more calories than I consume. If I eating 6000 calories a day and only burning 3000 then I am not really having a calorie deficit and it won't result in weight loss - just much slower weight gain.

Anyway - back to the real question and let's stop getting off topic -- I need a BOOK that has outlined meals, workouts, and grocery lists. Please let's stick to that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What kind of diet/eating plan do you want to do? That seems a place to start. You don't want some vegan book if you like meat.

I'm not aware of any books with meals and workouts, but you can get the workout plans separately, again depending on what you like to do. There are run training plans and tri plans and weight training websites that will give you daily workouts and off days and so on.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I usually get my recipes online or from pinterest but here's a few books I found on Amazon. I haven't personally used any of them. I just pulled a few that had good reviews.

Saving Dinner: The Menus, Recipes, and Shopping Lists to Bring Your Family Back to the Table
    7-Day Menu Planner For Dummies
    The Fresh 20: 20-Ingredient Meal Plans for Health and Happiness 5 Nights a Week
    100 Days of Real Food: How We Did It, What We Learned, and 100 Easy, Wholesome Recipes Your Family Will Love
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Have you heard of Emeals? Each week they email you healthy meal recipes to make and it provides a list grocery items to purchase each week in order to make those meals. I'm not sure the cost of this subscription and I don't think it includes a work out plan but here's the website: http://emeals.com/
  • Silverdracos
    Silverdracos Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Daily Burn had multiple programs and meal plans to go with them, but since you're going to the gym I don't know that you'd want something centered around online workout videos. The library or a bookstore might be a good place to start otherwise. I haven't read "Saving Dinner" but I've heard it's good.

Personally I meal plan for a month at a time. One major shopping trip and a few smaller ones for milk and fresh veg. Cooking in bulk helps too. I do a meal replacement shake for breakfast and leftovers for lunch. And when I DO head through a drive thru I try to make smart choices. Eating reasonable serving sizes is miserable lol. But I know it's one of the biggest obstacles I have to being healthy.
  • AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Cook Yourself Thin is a book I have been using. It doesn't really have a grocery list or meal plan, but it breaks it down into each meal, so I have been grabbing recipes from each section.

There is also a WW book that is called "Take Out Tonight." It's one of my favorites, because it has healthy recipes by different food types - Asian, Italian, etc - for all your favorite places to eat out.
  • thcguy123
    Options
    This is awesome info - I can't wait to go check this out tonight. Thank you, thank you, thank you is all I have to say. Refreshing to get some direct answers that I can use. Awesome - excited!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    South Beach Diet works for many people and is a healthy approach. I think there's a website, too.

allrecipes.com is fun to browse. :)