Whine time...

Options
why are there so many calories in nuts? i love raw nuts/trailmix to snack on but they KILL me calorie wise. :(

Replies

• r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I know! They're so tasty, especially the salted kind :smiley: but you can literally only have like 10 to not totally blow a bunch of calories on a snack that really isn't filling. Honestly, I never understood why health magazines push that as a snack...I don't find 25 almonds to be "satisfying." That would not tide me over until my next meal! I'd much rather have a whole apple, or a bowl of broccoli, or low calorie popcorn than a few measly yet tasty nuts!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Too many calories for something that doesn't even touch my hunger at one serving... I still like to occasionally sprinkle roasted sunflower seeds over my salad.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I love them but once I started counting calories it did not take long for me to completely cut them out of my diet. I've had a bag of pistachios in my cupboard for over 6 months! I just look at them and think... nope not worth it. Same thing with avocados. Nuts and avos.... I'll see you in maintenance.
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It kills me too! I LOVE nuts, especially the really fatty kinds like cashews and walnuts. Ah well. I try not to splurge on them daily, so that when I do enjoy them, like I did tonight in my cashew cream sauce, it's worth it. :)
  • Ibyzr
    Ibyzr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Did you say wine? I'll take some! >:)
  • WanderingBomb
    WanderingBomb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Ibyzr wrote: »

HAHAHA, best response ever!!! <3
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    They are high in calories because they are high in fat. Your body needs fat and fat helps with satiety. They also contain fiber (also good for satiety) and micronutrients. This is why they are considered a healthy food and a good food to eat when trying to lose weight, in moderation, of course.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    why are there so many calories in nuts? i love raw nuts/trailmix to snack on but they KILL me calorie wise. :(

Maybe you should do paleo you can eat as much nuts and cheese as you want.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Ibyzr wrote: »

yeah _ i thought we were whining about wine- I was going to be all about that.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Why was this post flagged? Now that's nuts...get it...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't snack much, but I actually do find even a very small amount of nuts to be pretty filling when I am in need of a snack. I also find that they are a good thing to add to a meal that otherwise lacks fat (say an oatmeal-based breakfast) to make it more satisfying for me.

This might not be the case for everyone, but I get why they are sometimes recommended. You just have to be careful, since of course they are super easy to accidently overeat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't snack much, but I actually do find even a very small amount of nuts to be pretty filling when I am in need of a snack. I also find that they are a good thing to add to a meal that otherwise lacks fat (say an oatmeal-based breakfast) to make it more satisfying for me.

This might not be the case for everyone, but I get why they are sometimes recommended. You just have to be careful, since of course they are super easy to accidently overeat.

I can't do it- I just eat way to many of them- it just seems not worth the gamble for me.
    I'd rather just eat a snickers- it's single serving and a set calorie content.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Nuts, pecans in particular, seem to fill me up and stave off hunger pains for a while. I believe in consuming them several times a week for the healthy fat. I just make sure that on those days, my salads are just a little heartier to fill me up more. Planning is necessary to make it work with your eating plan.