LCHF and Cancer...

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    There's been no significant research one way or the other as far as I can tell. A quick search of Pubmed brings up a grand total of five papers. One is a commentary on fad diets, one is a methods paper on urinary fructose and sucrose excretion, leaving three with some relevance.

Of those, one is a cell line and mouse study looking specifically at p53 mutant tumors, concluding that "a carbohydrate-free dietetic regimen that lowers the fasting glucose levels blunts p53 mutant expression and oncogenic activity relative to a normal diet in several animal model systems"
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23151455

The second is a mouse study of tuberous sclerosis complex-related tumors finding "our data support the concept of glycolytic inhibition as a therapeutic approach in TSC whereas dietary withdrawal of carbohydrates was not effective."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22018000

The third is bizarre - just a reference and no authors or abstract available. I've never seen this in PubMed before:

Colon cancer survival worse for patients with high-carb diet.
    [No authors listed]
    Oncology (Williston Park). 2012 Dec;26(12):1209. No abstract available.
    PMID:
    [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    Related citations

So, no useful conclusions, which is what I would expect. If there were any sort of tangible evidence that a LCHF diet would help cancer patients, I can promise you that the health center I work for would be recommending it to our cancer patients since translational medicine is a major focus for us.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    agrasso88 wrote: »
    BrettPGH_ wrote: »
    This is disgusting. A quack doctor giving desperate, dying people false hope, to push his agenda and products.

Just when I think the guy couldn't sink any lower.

No. A ketogenic diet doesn't cure cancer. You know how I know? Because no one has cured cancer with a ketogenic diet.

This is why carbs are important. The brain functions poorly without them.

Wow, I guess I should stop teaching Maths then. Carbs are NOT a required nutrient the body can make its own glycogen and function on ketones. I have had better mental clarity whilst on keto for a year.

After all 9+10 = 21

19? I don't get it...
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    This is disgusting. A quack doctor giving desperate, dying people false hope, to push his agenda and products.

Cancer cells feed on sugar - so much so that's how you detect them. Common sense tells me that if I have something that is killing me, I'd be pretty stupid to keep feeding it in any fashion. Do you leave out yummy snacks for roaches when you want to be rid of them?

All your cells feed on sugar--glycogen.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »

Cancer cells feed on sugar - so much so that's how you detect them. Common sense tells me that if I have something that is killing me, I'd be pretty stupid to keep feeding it in any fashion. Do you leave out yummy snacks for roaches when you want to be rid of them?

All your cells feed on sugar--glycogen.

Yes. Unless they are in ketosis and feeding on ketones.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

No. A ketogenic diet doesn't cure cancer. You know how I know? Because no one has cured cancer with a ketogenic diet.

Wow, I guess I should stop teaching Maths then. Carbs are NOT a required nutrient the body can make its own glycogen and function on ketones. I have had better mental clarity whilst on keto for a year.

After all 9+10 = 21

19? I don't get it...

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

After all 9+10 = 21

19? I don't get it...

Math teacher on keto (supposedly) missing an addition problem... Saying that people in ketosis are stupid. Or just being ridiculous and obtuse with a comment.
  • Donna_Olsen
    Donna_Olsen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Well, of COURSE, you doofmarbles!

EVERYTHING is just a hypothesis until someone sits down and tests it.

But I did find it extremely noteworthy that in order to diagnose my MIL's cancer, they did what?

Pumped her full of a glucose solution and then scanned her body to see where it was being devoured the most hungrily.

Does it not stand to reason that the converse may also stand? Starve the cells of their food, and they will then wither?

(Incidentally, Donna_Olsen - probably linking to Dr. Oz will not help this side of the argument at all :s )
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Well, of COURSE, you doofmarbles!

EVERYTHING is just a hypothesis until someone sits down and tests it.

But I did find it extremely noteworthy that in order to diagnose my MIL's cancer, they did what?

Pumped her full of a glucose solution and then scanned her body to see where it was being devoured the most hungrily.

Does it not stand to reason that the converse may also stand? Starve the cells of their food, and they will then wither?

(Incidentally, Donna_Olsen - probably linking to Dr. Oz will not help this side of the argument at all :s )

Hypoglycemia for all!
  • Relentless_0ne
    Relentless_0ne Posts: 38
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Someone post a study of what ISNT linked to causing cancer. Thanks in advance.
  • rprussell2004
    Options
    Throughout his talks, both here and elsewhere, Dr. Seyfried presents mouse studies that are interesting and suggestive that there might be something to this whole ketogenic diet thing, at least in brain tumors, such as this one. However, this is what we in the oncology biz would call pretty preliminary data, worthy of further investigation but not supporting the grandiose claims that Dr. Seyfried makes.

That's a good, albeit disappointing read.

Thanks, I think.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    And I've heard a high carb vegan diet also helps cancer.

Anything to push an agenda. And let's not even talk about dr. Mercola!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/22/2/286.long

This study was done on.... Humans. 69,12 Total participants.

Results: A total of 2,939 incident cancer cases were identified. The multivariate HR of overall cancer risk among vegetarians compared with non-vegetarians was statistically significant [HR, 0.92; 95% confidence interval (CI), 0.85–0.99] for both genders combined. Also, a statistically significant association was found between vegetarian diet and cancers of the gastrointestinal tract (HR, 0.76; 95% CI, 0.63–0.90). When analyzing the association of specific vegetarian dietary patterns, vegan diets showed statistically significant protection for overall cancer incidence (HR, 0.84; 95% CI, 0.72–0.99) in both genders combined and for female-specific cancers (HR, 0.66; 95% CI, 0.47–0.92). Lacto-ovo-vegetarians appeared to be associated with decreased risk of cancers of the gastrointestinal system (HR, 0.75; 95% CI, 0.60–0.92).

Conclusion: Vegetarian diets seem to confer protection against cancer.

Impact: Vegan diet seems to confer lower risk for overall and female-specific cancer than other dietary patterns. The lacto-ovo-vegetarian diets seem to confer protection from cancers of the gastrointestinal tract. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev; 22(2); 286–94. ©2012 AACR.
  • KaroshiQueen
    KaroshiQueen Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    And I've heard a high carb vegan diet also helps cancer.

Anything to push an agenda. And let's not even talk about dr. Mercola!

Having any opinion on MFP seems to = "having an agenda". This is BS. I tried both sides of the carb fence; one worked, one didn't. I state opinions based on the facts I observed. Research from a variety of (legitimate) sources seems to corroborate my individual experiences. This is hardly an agenda, and that applies to anyone.
  • rprussell2004
    Options

Detailed, but fascinating article. I hope all of you read it. That is what is called a "reputable source." The other links being posted are pure garbage. Like I say all the time, where you choose to get your information from makes all the difference in the world.

Yes, very sobering. It stinks. The tendency of people to let their egos get in the way of reality never ceases to let me down.

Well, maybe someone will find an actual needle in that haystack eventually.

LCHF is still a great eating plan tho :)