The Issue Isn't Motivation, It's Obligation

I see a lot of threads about people seeking motivation. They don't have it, but they want it, and they don't know how to get it. I see a lot of responses in those threads saying that motivation is not a requirement. They pose arguments such as, "do you always feel motivated to go to work/brush your teeth/walk your dog? but you do those things anyway."

That points to the real issue which is obligation. We find it easier to honor the obligations we have to our families, pets, and employers, yet the obligation we have to ourselves-- to keep ourselves happy and healthy-- is easy to overlook.

Why do we do this? The answer will be different for everyone.
  • Maybe we think it's selfish.
  • Maybe we don't care enough about ourselves enough to honor it.
  • Maybe we don't think we deserve it.
  • Maybe we just never knew there was such an obligation.

I think it is the most important obligation, and no, I don't think it's selfish to see it that way. If you honor the obligation to yourself first, you're better equipped to honor your obligation to other people. It's the same reason that on a plane you're told to put your own oxygen mask on before assisting another person--even your own child. It's not because you're more important than they are; it's because you can't help another person until you help yourself. The first obligation is to yourself, so that you'll be better able to serve others if that is what you choose to do. A healthy, happy person is a better parent, a better lover, a better friend, a better employee.

We need to start taking the obligation to do right by ourselves more seriously. Then the perceived need for motivation will no longer exist.

Replies

• wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    This goes very nicely with something I was told a long time ago: Motivation only lasts for a short time. That's why success isn't built on motivation, it's built on commitment. You have to be committed to your own well-being and success in the long term. It's what keeps you going when the motivation falters. Commitment (or obligation) to one's health is the key to long term success is many things, including weight loss IMO.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Nothing gets done without motivation. Commitment, obligation, responsibility, fear, desire, these are all motivators. Whenver you do something it's because you were motivated to do it.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Lots of people do not do what is obligated for them.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Lots of people do not do what is obligated for them.

AGREED.

(with peeps AND the OP)

MOST people are looking for an easier way out of everything and if they could get a pass on brushing their teeth for the rest of their lives, they would go for it without a second thought.

So there are ways to trigger an active reaction from them.

We could argue the semantics of motivation and what it is and is not and what definition you prefer to argue, or we could try to trigger a response from them using something like this.

Obligation (which is a fantastic one)
    Self-Discipline
    Good role model for their kids
    Believing they deserve success
    Commitment
    Making their promises mean something
    Determination
    Selfishness (the good kind)
    War...

You just gotta find the right stimulator for the current audience.
  • yoovie
    Yes you need motivation to do anything, but YOU are the active ingredient in motivation - regardless of what it means to you personally.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Agreed. I also don't understand why so many people seem to think that internet strangers have the ability to change their behaviors and thought processes. You can't change anyone but yourself and you have to be willing and want that change and those results for that to happen. Other people can't do that for you.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    54808585.jpg
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    It's true, there are many people who do not honor all of their obligations, but EVERYONE honors at least one. My point is that the obligation to ourselves needs to be a higher priority.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    Fully agree with OP. I myself have posted the type of things mentioned in the OP. It took me a while to figure it out that it was not only okay, but necessary to put myself first. I became a much healthier, happier person because of it. Unfortunately, as a wife and mother with a full-time career it is generally looked down upon to do this. I didn't care! I did it anyway and my family learned to adjust.
  • yoovie
    edited November 2014
    It's true, there are many people who do not honor all of their obligations, but EVERYONE honors at least one. My point is that the obligation to ourselves needs to be a higher priority.

Agreed.

All we can do is keep explaining it as people slowly get it and start to win. Hopefully most people figure it out on their own.

• Ferrous_Female_Dog
    yoovie wrote: »

Agreed.

All we can do is keep explaining it as people slowly get it and start to win. Hopefully most people figure it out on their own.

I figured it out when I kept skipping the gym in the morning or after work because I was "so tired" or [enter excuse here], but when a friend or family member needed me for something, or if I had to work late, then it was no problem. I was still just as tired, or maybe I didn't feel like it but I was obligated, so no questions asked.

So now I don't think of gym time or food prep as something I do when I feel like because it's convenient. It's something I have to do because I am obligated to take care of myself, no problem, no questions asked.
  • yoovie
    yes. "This is my life now. This is the new normal."
  • I see a lot of threads about people seeking motivation. They don't have it, but they want it, and they don't know how to get it. I see a lot of responses in those threads saying that motivation is not a requirement. They pose arguments such as, "do you always feel motivated to go to work/brush your teeth/walk your dog? but you do those things anyway."

That points to the real issue which is obligation. We find it easier to honor the obligations we have to our families, pets, and employers, yet the obligation we have to ourselves-- to keep ourselves happy and healthy-- is easy to overlook.

Why do we do this? The answer will be different for everyone.
    • Maybe we think it's selfish.
    • Maybe we don't care enough about ourselves enough to honor it.
    • Maybe we don't think we deserve it.
    • Maybe we just never knew there was such an obligation.

I think it is the most important obligation, and no, I don't think it's selfish to see it that way. If you honor the obligation to yourself first, you're better equipped to honor your obligation to other people. It's the same reason that on a plane you're told to put your own oxygen mask on before assisting another person--even your own child. It's not because you're more important than they are; it's because you can't help another person until you help yourself. The first obligation is to yourself, so that you'll be better able to serve others if that is what you choose to do. A healthy, happy person is a better parent, a better lover, a better friend, a better employee.

We need to start taking the obligation to do right by ourselves more seriously. Then the perceived need for motivation will no longer exist.

Well said!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Yes you need motivation to do anything, but YOU are the active ingredient in motivation - regardless of what it means to you personally.

totally agree. the problem is usually trying to find motivation from an outside source, when you really should be looking within
  • tulips_and_tea

totally agree. the problem is usually trying to find motivation from an outside source, when you really should be looking within

Exactly! Well stated.
  • tulips_and_tea

Agreed.

I figured it out when I kept skipping the gym in the morning or after work because I was "so tired" or [enter excuse here], but when a friend or family member needed me for something, or if I had to work late, then it was no problem. I was still just as tired, or maybe I didn't feel like it but I was obligated, so no questions asked.

So now I don't think of gym time or food prep as something I do when I feel like because it's convenient. It's something I have to do because I am obligated to take care of myself, no problem, no questions asked.

I think I'm going to have to steal your avatar! Love it.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Well, I agree whether you call it motivation or obligation - whatever gets you out there. Personally I look at it more as discipline. One of my favorite quotes - "Martial arts is about discipline. The first discipline to master is showing up to class."
    -
    "Showing up" is probably the key to all fitness efforts. It wont matter how motivated you are, or how obligated you feel, if you dont actually get your butt there. Same is true for just about anything in life you want to accomplish. You are 100% guaranteed to fail if you dont show up.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Nothing gets done without motivation. Commitment, obligation, responsibility, fear, desire, these are all motivators. Whenver you do something it's because you were motivated to do it.

Yes, but so many people (I know I have done this) wait for motivation to come along. If you have trouble making time for yourself, but you can keep commitments, you do have time. You just have to make yourself a priority. And figure out what works for you.

And, I know people on a message board can't give you motivation but they can give you ideas of what to do. The successes inspire me when I feel like giving up.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    It gets funny though when you do start raising priority in your health and others start looking at you differently. I'm a gym addict. That's cool rather be called that than like a gamer or anything nonactive.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    This was a really empowering post for me! Thank you!