What type of HRM do YOU use?

Options
medlaura
medlaura Posts: 282 Member
edited November 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
what are the pros and cons?

I'm planning to buy a HRM but still not sure which brand/type to buy. But definitely something affordable.

Replies

• Fluffy_Fury
    Options
    ^^ Would also like to know! I take part in aerial arts so started looking at the kind that strap to your chest (watches would get caught) but honestly didn't know where to start. some recommendations would be good!
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I got the jarv run bt premium hrm for 29$ on Amazon. It connects via Bluetooth to the map my fitness app on my phone. It works for what I use it for. I especially like that the stats from map my fitness sync to mfp automatically.

There's a margin of error with all devices like this but I use it to get an idea of calories burned so I can try to make sure I'm eating a sufficient amount.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    This is definitely something that you 'get what you pay for.' My first go around I bought a watch, and it was so inaccurate! $45 down the drain. Chest strap HRM's are the best. I chose to go with a Polar brand (very popular on here, and good ratings on Amazon.) I went with an FT60 and have had it for two years now and LOVE it. Good luck!
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I was looking into the Polar FT4 or FT7 anyone out there with any of these, what are your thoughts
  • 13rialb
    13rialb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and it's quite possibly the best and motivating purchase I've made all year! It comes with the HRM, waist strap and watch. It's only a basic model, but it does the job and makes me bust my a*s even harder at the gym seeing my HR jump and the calories fly away.

Totally worth it! I only paid $100 (AUS) too - a real bargain!
  • 70chevellegsp
    70chevellegsp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Polar F7. Use it every day to track my workouts via Sportstracker. I found issue with the polar software, but they may have worked it out.
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 user here.

I like it in the heart rate % mode to see how hard I'm exerting myself on my intervals. Only use it for my cardio work and used it in the pool today when I went for a "rest day" relaxing swim...worked a treat. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    medlaura wrote: »
    what are the pros and cons?

I'm planning to buy a HRM but still not sure which brand/type to buy. But definitely something affordable.

What training do you do, and what are you hoping to gain from it?

Personally I use a Garmin FR310XT for running, road cycling and rowing. For mountain biking, swimming and other CV stuff I just use MFP approximations as the HRM is as inaccurate. For resistance training I don't bother logging at all.

Fwiw I use the HRM as a training tool. I only really let it synch calories as it's no more or less inaccurate than anything else and it's automated.

Note that the vast majority of people pimping their favourite HR toy are using it as a pseudo calorie guestimation generator. As long as you recognise that it's not particularly accurate or meaningful then that's fine. Personally I'd suggest saving your money.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar RCX5 multisportswatch, with a Polar H2 heart rate monitor. Love it as you can set up different sports activities and it can also measure your VO2max which is vital for more acurate calorie burn estimates.

Would I need to buy a new model, I would probably opt for the new Polar M400, which got great reviews and it is much cheaper (around $200).

Stef.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 (the pink wristband one). LOVE IT. It motivates me, it's simple, it was only $50USD on Amazon at the time (down from $60, which I still would have paid for this product since I love it so much), and I can't believe I was hesitant to get a HRM. I've had it for a couple of months and it goes with me to the gym every time. The machines and MFP's calories burned estimators are SO off, I couldn't believe it. The treadmill will say I burned 200 calories, my HRM (with all of my data and current heart rate) says it was 300+ or if I didn't work very hard, it's more like 150 calories burned, so I'm always logging my exercise as precisely as possible. I really recommend it.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Note that the vast majority of people pimping their favourite HR toy are using it as a pseudo calorie guestimation generator. As long as you recognise that it's not particularly accurate or meaningful then that's fine. Personally I'd suggest saving your money.

I'd agree with this. If the plan is to use it for calorie calculations don't bother. If you want it for the ability to train to HR then go for it but as has been pointed out take the calorie burn aproximation with a pic of salt.

Personally I use a Garmin Forerunner 620 for my running watch and a Garmin Edge 500 for the bike. They both use the same HR strap.

An alternative is that you may have an android phone with ANT+ capabilities(higher end Samsungs do I think and a smattering of others but not the iPhone). If you do have a ANT+ enabled phone you can get HR straps that link direct to the phone and then you just need an app like Strava to record the data
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    http://www.thisisant.com/directory

For a list of phones with ANT+ enabled

Wahoo fitness do ANT+ and Bluetooth enabled straps which work very well
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    As stated, if you are using the HRM for monitoring HR for training purposes, any of them with a chest strap should be okay. I use a Polar FT4 when I run. Just remember when purchasing that HRMs are ONLY remotely accurate on calorie burn counts when used during steady state cardio (Elliptical, cycling, running..etc). Anything else would be pointless to use an HRM unless you are using for training purposes (what they are intended for) and not for calorie burn estimators (not designed for) like most people seem to do.