flu like symptons after weight lifting

Options

Replies

• blushingbride2bee
    blushingbride2bee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Definitely see your doctor. I have had a similar reaction to what you are describing, I had to call in sick to work and literally could not get out of bed for 2 days. Horrible feeling. But I was following a ketogenic diet and the combo of weights with HITT cardio completely depleted me! It was too much.

Just curious what did you eat on the day of this workout? I would make sure you adequately fuel your workout, so eat something to give you energy a bit before you exercise and skip the cardio. Yes, I might catch some negative comments on that but you are over doing it and let your body focus on muscle building first and skip the cardio or just do an easy warm up cool down, not full out cardio after your workout. Just for a few weeks to let your body adjust. This really helped me.

I hope you feel better!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    If it is clear, like water, you are over-hydrated and a candidate for hyponatremia.

lol

OK there buddy. Over hydration LOL

Women can slip into hyponatremia much faster than men because of a.) their smaller body mass and b.) they often skimp on food (and thus, sodium. Low blood sodium levels cause hyponatremia--whether it is from overhydration or inadequate sodium intake). It is estimated that about 10% of marathon runners end the race in a mild state of hyponatremia. In addition, women are more apt to be hypothyroid (it's complicated) and that can be a factor as well.
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Are you sick?

No not sick :) It has happened every time I have tried to get back in to the gym over the past few months, maybe a total of 4 times since July.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I agree with blushingbride. Over-training combined with a ketogenic diet can cause a fair bit of muscle destruction. Some gyms will actually make reference to "Uncle Rhabdo" in a light kind of way. Rhabdomyolysis is no joke.
  • KaciWood19
    Options
    I feel like I'm getting sick after I work out hard for a few days straight. This is because your immune system is weaker resulting from the breakdown of tissue and the exertion... and possibly elevated core temperature. You'll find that with drinking more water and sleeping more... you'll reduce this feeling.

I could definitely drink more water, I typically get 7ish hours of sleep.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If it is clear, like water, you are over-hydrated and a candidate for hyponatremia.

lol

Women can slip into hyponatremia much faster than men because of a.) their smaller body mass and b.) they often skimp on food (and thus, sodium. Low blood sodium levels cause hyponatremia--whether it is from overhydration or inadequate sodium intake). It is estimated that about 10% of marathon runners end the race in a mild state of hyponatremia. In addition, women are more apt to be hypothyroid (it's complicated) and that can be a factor as well.

Comparing marathon runners to this situation is irrelevant. Sweating out 5+ pounds of fluid over three hours is bound to cause an electrolyte imbalance in some. I reckon hyponatremia would not make the top 10 probable causes of the OP's problems.
  • KaciWood19
    Options
    Sounds like you are getting a dip in your immune function because of the stress of the exercise (any kind of stress, either physical or mental can cause it). You are probably overdoing it. Really, unless/until you are very well-conditioned, you shouldn't be doing any more than three half-hour weight sessions a week. (Some trainers would say that you don't need any more than that ever--although others would disagree.) How much are you doing? Do you combine it with a cardio warm-up? (5 to 10 minutes).

No cardio warm up. The day in question, I did chest and tri's. I repped the bar 10 times to warm up then benched 55lbs (8 reps, 3 times) then moved on to incline bench, skull crushers, tri pulldown, tri kickbacks, and chest flys. From there I did a half hour on the elliptical.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

lol

OP you run marathon. Endurance is better than mine.
  • KaciWood19
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    sorcha1977 wrote: »
    There's sore, and then there's TOO sore. You should feel sore but not so sore that you can hardly move. I think your body is telling you you're overdoing it.

Make sure you do all of your stretches, and make sure you hydrate. Drink lots and lots of water to help your muscles heal. Also, make sure you're getting plenty of rest, and work different areas different days. Never do two leg days in a row, for example. You could do something like arms/chest/back one day, then abs/core the next, then legs the next day. Cycle/repeat.

The OP isn't consistent so a split routine probably wouldn't be ideal. A full body routine like Stronglifts, New Rules, Starting Strength would be better.

A split routine is what I try to do. chest & tri, back & bi, then legs.
  • KaciWood19
    Options
    I agree with sorcha. There is something rare called rhabdomyolysis that is the product of muscle tissue destruction from over-training. It is a very serious problem that can result in kidney failure. One symptom of it is headache and extremely painful muscles. You also need to be wary of hyponatremia which results from eating too little food and drinking too much water (headache is a symptom of this disorder as well). I would ease off in the training and if the problem doesn't get better, consult with a sports physician.

OP, what color is your piss?

typically a pale yellow, other days when I drink more coffee than water it's darker (I work full time and go to school full time...I survive on Coffee)
  • KaciWood19
    Options

lol

I'm not hypothyroid, I just had everything tested at my physical last spring.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    KaciWood19 wrote: »
    A split routine is what I try to do. chest & tri, back & bi, then legs.

That's part of the problem. Start with a full-body routine for a few weeks, done every 2-3 days. Only do 1 heavy set per muscle group the first workout, 2 the next, etc. Post your results after 2 weeks.

• jmhunter82
    jmhunter82 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    can't the rapid release of cortisol make you feel like you have the flu?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    If you are drinking a LOT of coffee, the caffeine could be dehydrating you and screwing up your electrolytes. One of the posters mentioned a lack of magnesium and that will definitely cause muscles to be very sore and crampy. Too much caffeine can cause a large dump of magnesium and other macro-minerals. What about switching to water with added lemon or dilute fruit juice, for some of your fluid intake? When you say that your urine is "darker" do you mean darker yellow (dehydration) or brown? Dark yellow is normal when one is dehydrated. Tea-colored or dark brown/reddish brown is abnormal and should be investigated by a doc.
  • KaciWood19
    Options
    If you are drinking a LOT of coffee, the caffeine could be dehydrating you and screwing up your electrolytes. One of the posters mentioned a lack of magnesium and that will definitely cause muscles to be very sore and crampy. Too much caffeine can cause a large dump of magnesium and other macro-minerals. What about switching to water with added lemon or dilute fruit juice, for some of your fluid intake? When you say that your urine is "darker" do you mean darker yellow (dehydration) or brown? Dark yellow is normal when one is dehydrated. Tea-colored or dark brown/reddish brown is abnormal and should be investigated by a doc.

Do you consider 1 small coffee, 1 medium coffee, a tea, and possibly another coffee a lot?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

This is not the stupidest post in this thread, but it is close

There's a way to disagree without being an offensive as$. Which claims do you disagree with? Caffeine is known to be diuretic in high doses. And brownish urine is known to be a potentially bad medical sign, especially post-exercise.

OP - your coffee intake is fine.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    sheesh. doctors. OP shouldn't ask.
    quit playing doctor and send the OP to the MD. you don't know.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

This is not the stupidest post in this thread, but it is close

There's a way to disagree without being an offensive as$. Which claims do you disagree with? Caffeine is known to be diuretic in high doses. And brownish urine is known to be a potentially bad medical sign, especially post-exercise.

OP - your coffee intake is fine.

Wow, Cherimoose way to freak out and troll another poster. That's just not right. :(