No More Meat

Options
2»

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You can gain weight being a vegetarian. Vegans are usually slim. I've never known a fat vegan. (I believe people who say they know fat vegans, though.)

I'm sure people have gone meatless to lose weight. People do all kind of things to lose weight.

I much prefer the Morning Star veggie burgers to the Boca ones, for whatever at is worth.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I find this to be an odd way to lose weight as you have to make up some of the protein, iron etc... from other foods to compensate. The net might not be worth the trouble. I'd say if you want to eliminate a type of food, then try taking out the junk foods with no or little nutrient value. Of course always try to make it so you can fit them in as treats sometimes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Has anyone ever become a vegetarian simply to lose weight? Will that even work?
    If that makes it easier for you to be at a calorie deficit, ok, but as others have said, it's an unusual elimination choice, protein wise.
    I'd much more likely lower my carbs and up my fats a bit if I was going to take an elimination approach (which is a totally valid approach).
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I didn't really eat meat at uni, but still managed to gain an awful lot of weight. There's no pork in real ale, onion bhajis or chips.

As others have said, not eating meat won't help you lose weight if your diet consists of baked camembert and gin.
  • squirrelone
    squirrelone Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't care where the calories come from.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that vegetarian diets can cause muscle loss and diabetes.
    Any diet CAN potentially cause these two things if it's unbalanced. There is nothing specific about a vegetarian diet that would necessarily cause this.

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

My body frackin' knows the difference inbtween filet mignon and a bowl of kale.
  • Alyjacck
    Alyjacck Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I feel like going pesketarian is much easier!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that vegetarian diets can cause muscle loss and diabetes. He told me the best thing to do is have a glass of milk with every meal. He said the most important thing to health and dieting is to look at the color of your feces. I know it sounds gross, but it's true. If it's not dark brown with a yellowish hue you are in trouble....BIG trouble. The water should also be fizzy when you are done. It sounds strange but that is what he said and that's what I'm planning to stick with. Best of luck

Is your doctor in his 90s?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    My doctor told me that vegetarian diets can cause muscle loss and diabetes. He told me the best thing to do is have a glass of milk with every meal. He said the most important thing to health and dieting is to look at the color of your feces. I know it sounds gross, but it's true. If it's not dark brown with a yellowish hue you are in trouble....BIG trouble. The water should also be fizzy when you are done. It sounds strange but that is what he said and that's what I'm planning to stick with. Best of luck

Is your doctor in his 90s?
    Holy balls I am dying here :D

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you heard him correctly? I get why people might be concerned about protein and iron, but causing diabetes?

Vegetarian diets can be as healthy or healthier than ones with meat. Vegans should get B-12 supplements, regular vegetarians can get everything they need from their food. All of us should keep an eye on our food and vegetarians are no different.

In this day and age, it isn't hard to find info on complementary proteins and such, if you look for it. It's easier than ever to be healthy vegetarian. :)

You should, of course, do what your doctor tells you to do. But I'd double-check on what he told you. It's possible that you misheard him or he phrased it poorly. It happens. :)

• Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Fizzy... Um, what?

• squirrelone
    squirrelone Posts: 58 Member
    Options

In terms of macros, yes.
    And sure, I was being overly simplistic, as there are more factors than I care to go into. Most of which are not directly relevant in relation to the OP's question.

He want to loose weight. That means more calories out than in. There are calories in both meat and not non-meat based food.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options

man i'm in stitches. this post made my day.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Yurippe wrote: »
    Fizzy... Um, what?
    Brown and fizzy. It should look like a Root Beer Float. Got it.