A dieter walks into a Dunkin Donuts...

Options
Today I went out with two of my co-workers for lunch. Usually we go somewhere with calorie-laden food and today was no exception, as I hadn't been out to lunch with them since before I started my diet two weeks ago. When we pulled into Dunkin Donuts I could feel my resolve beginning to crumble, but reasoned that I had been good all morning. Was I surprised to see a 280 calorie egg white & veggie with cheese flatbread sandwich on the menu board! I ordered it thinking it was going to have very little taste, but it was surprisingly flavorful due to the green and red bell peppers and the multigrain flatbread. Very filling too!

I would not get this every day as the egg white and veggie omlet probably picks up residual fat from the cooking surface, but wow, what a treat! I even passed on the donuts though I was very tempted.

I would count this as a tiny win but I'll take it. Drinking a 16 ounce bottle of water an hour before really helped me control my hunger.

Anyone else have a tiny win in the face of temptation they want to share?

Replies

• agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've had that from Dunkin Donuts and it was surprisingly good!
  • 125by125again
    Options
    Agreed! That's my go-to when my friends want to go somewhere for a quick drive-through. Much better than anything you'd find at McDs or Burger King!
  • kiwigirl007
    kiwigirl007 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Dunkin Donuts is a weakness of mine.... :) Usually I just stop for quick break in the afternoon for a small black coffee + caramel. And I bring my own snack. Kudos to you for the temptation resistance win! :D
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    A few weeks ago my Love and I went to Galveston for our anniversary. He decided to surprise me with my very first trip to Dunkin Donuts. Yes, I know. I had never in my life stepped foot into a D.D, I'm ashamed. We pulled into this tiny shop and when I walked in all I could see and smell was...well....donuts. And calorie laced coffees. I'll admit, we split a jelly filled donut with amazing powdered sugar on top. I also got what I am assuming is their version of a frap....only it was small. So maybe it wasn't that many calories? I regret nothing. NOTHING I SAY!

As for a sucessful win in the face of temptation...Well. The resident whose apartment tried to burn down last week made us homemade chocolate chip cookies. I'm not going to eat them. Not because I fear maybe he's trying to poison us for putting him in an apartment with faulty wiring...but because (as my friend would say) "I don't eat that."
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Dunkin Donuts turkey sausage w/egg on english muffin is dee-lish and only ~350 calories. WIN!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    coffee regular.
  • LACnessMonster
    LACnessMonster Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love Dunkin Donuts. They have coffee and a DD Fit Menu which has a nice range of options for keeping the calories in check if thats your jam. You can also research their nutritional menu online, so you know before you go - the nutritional guide is also great if you are concerned about your macros. Most places are like that, it's pretty easy to navigate fast food and most restaurants this way.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could walk in there and not walk out with something good.

Those muffins...OMG, so good! 1/3 of my daily calories, but very yummy!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I can't help but get a donut :|
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I always go for a doughnut. They're more like a treat for me since I may have one per year. My biggest successes come when my younger sister decides I have to go eat Mexican food with her. Finding items with no cheese and extra veggies makes me very happy! Once I hit my first goal weight, I'll order a 1200 calorie plate of nachos, and then move along. Today is not that day! :smile:

• newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

I always go for a doughnut. They're more like a treat for me since I may have one per year. My biggest successes come when my younger sister decides I have to go eat Mexican food with her. Finding items with no cheese and extra veggies makes me very happy! Once I hit my first goal weight, I'll order a 1200 calorie plate of nachos, and then move along. Today is not that day! :smile:

I had a delicious burrito covered with cheese and sour cream last weekend. I regret nothing. LOL That water weight afterwards though...hurts the eyes! :grinning:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I love Dunkin Donuts coffee and about half the time I have plenty of calories for a donut too. Yum. Their toasted coconut donut is fantastic with a black coffee. Mmmm.

Residual fat from the cooking surface isn't something I'd be overly concerned with - unless maybe I was going there daily - but to each their own. Congrats on the "win" at any rate, though!
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If i'm going to Dunkin Donuts, I'm getting a donut.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    A plain doughnut (perfect for dipping!!) is not that many calories- since I happen to really love plain cake doughnuts- i'ts a perfect fit for me :disappointed_relieved:
    - i've had a egg white flat bread before- they aren't to bad and they are only a few hundred calories- definitely worth it.

I have no issues heading to Dunkin- part of learning to live with how you eat is learning how to walk into places with other people and work out what's the best option.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I had their version of the cronut last week
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I had their version of the cronut last week

How was it?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i don't consider it temptation because foods are not "bad" …so for me it is a win every time…

change your mentality and you change the game….thats my .02...
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    A plain doughnut (perfect for dipping!!) is not that many calories- since I happen to really love plain cake doughnuts- i'ts a perfect fit for me :disappointed_relieved:
    - i've had a egg white flat bread before- they aren't to bad and they are only a few hundred calories- definitely worth it.

I have no issues heading to Dunkin- part of learning to live with how you eat is learning how to walk into places with other people and work out what's the best option.

Apple fritter.
  • Chandler330
    Chandler330 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I love that I can get almond milk in my coffee there now!
  • FitAndLegit
    FitAndLegit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dunkin Donuts is totally easy for me to slip back into, at least it used to. I can't even imagine how terribly unhealthy the croissant breakfast sandwich is, eaten a few times a week. At this point, I won't even stop anywhere fast food and I've had an amazing 8 day streak of great eating habits. It won't be until I go out with friends that I will be testing myself. Although, my very small win for today was when my boss came in with a huge jar of candy bars, with all of them being ones I loved. He sat it right on my desk and I had no inclination of reaching in. I saw everyone else delve into it but I knew that I had worked so hard and that this candy bar shouldn't be taunting me!

I never ate it and the feeling it gives me trumps any good feeling I would get from binge eating on junk food.

great job with your choice! I will have to try one day when I've made more progress! :smiley: