Healthier tortilla without preservatives+ ?

Options
Outside of making them yourself, which I have, can anyone recommend a brand without a whole lot of chemical garbage in the package? Flour and/or corn, I don't care.

Replies

• PaulaPalooza
    PaulaPalooza Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    trader joe's whole wheat tortillas are pretty great- only about four ingredients if I remember correctly.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Make your own. The web site Epicurious has a bevy of four-ingredient tortillas. They're easy and fast.
  • consideritdonemi
    consideritdonemi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I do make my own on occasion, but I get busy and just want to open a package and be done with it some nights. Thanks for the Trader Joe's suggestion, PaulaP.
  • consideritdonemi
    Options
    @libbydoodle11 - That's right up my alley, but no Indian Life store near 50 miles of me here in Michigan. Dang! The ingredients are interesting (vinegar and sunflower oil+). I may try using what's listed in my from-scratch attempts.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel tortillas have a fairly short ingredient list.

Home made ones too.

Really it should be just 4 or 5, and water.
  • consideritdonemi
    Options

Home made ones too.

Sweet! Looks like I can pick these up at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods near me. That works.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Home made ones too.

Sweet! Looks like I can pick these up at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods near me. That works.

Keep them in the fridge. They are sprouted grain.
  • consideritdonemi
    Options
    [/quote]

Keep them in the fridge. They are sprouted grain. [/quote]

Thanks for the tip :-)

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    ps: do you know www.foodfacts.com? It's a great site to help choose healthier store bought foods.
  • consideritdonemi
    Options
    ps: do you know www.foodfacts.com? It's a great site to help choose healthier store bought foods.

I did not know about that site. I will definitely check it out. I am trying to cut out more and more of the chemical crap out of my life in general.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I did not know about that site. I will definitely check it out. I am trying to cut out more and more of the chemical crap out of my life in general.

I hear ya. Just don't use the word "clean". Folks go mental.
    But yeah fooducate is a good resource. There's an app too, of course.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    We generally get them from our local taco place - they are THE BEST - fresh and homemade (just not by me ;) ).
  • consideritdonemi
    Options
    @Sabine_Stroehm - Funny, when you shared foodfacts.com, I also checked to see if they had an app on Google Play (nope). Just downloaded Fooducate.

@The Virgoddess - Homemade is definitely where it's at. Haven't come across any purveyors near me so that leaves me to aggravate my carpal tunnel hand kneading dough. lol
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I LOVE fooducate too, apparently, since I swapped that in. YES, both are good.

Be careful with the local places. Mine has recently swapped several ingredients for HFCS, so check their packaging.