Hi my name is Michelle and I'm a Carbaholic!!!

Options
I love carbs, would pick bread, potatoes, rice, and pasta over anything else...so now I have to break those habits....any suggestions?

Replies

• bstoudt369
    bstoudt369 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Don't quit eating them completely. That will only make you want them more. Use protein and veggies first, then add a serving of carbs. The protein and fiber makes me satisfied for longer than the carbs, so I miss them less. I find I tend to choose what will fill me up better over the carbs after a year at this. Good luck.
  • AmandaAnne307
    AmandaAnne307 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to a low carb (less than 70g), high fat and adequate protein diet. The first week was tough and all I wanted was carbs (because I LOVE carbs SOOOO much) - but now that I'm on week three I find I crave it MUCH less.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Liz and I am a recovering refined carbaholic. Carbohydrates are still about 45% of my daily calories but I have cut most of the refined carbs. bread and pasta is whole grain, potatoes are cooked with the skin and rice is brown (at least mine is). I see no reason to cut completely just find better alternatives.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Why break? If you can replace some refined carbs with healthier complex carbs, just do that. My carb allowance is HIGH and it comes from oatmeal, whole grains, sweet potatoes, etc. There's nothing wrong with carbs.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Carb addiction, medically speaking, does not exist. It's just a person's personal taste for those foods. I for one, say less turkey and more stuffing. LOL The only difference that I know of between "refined" carbohydrates and whole grain - is fiber. If you check the glycemic index between white bread and whole, between white rice and brown, between white potato and sweet potato - the difference is actually minimal . But whole grain bread definitely tastes better.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I AM ALL FOR CARBS!, they are your fuel!, I burn 1000 calories a day, and I need that fuel!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to a low carb (less than 70g), high fat and adequate protein diet. The first week was tough and all I wanted was carbs (because I LOVE carbs SOOOO much) - but now that I'm on week three I find I crave it MUCH less.

Everyone is different, OP, so try what works for you, but what AmandaAnne307 did is what I did and it worked for me, too. I have zero cravings for carbs once I drastically cut them. I have a ton more energy, too.
  • chantalebelle
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    bread, potatoes, rice, and pasta
    Everytime I see one of these "I'm addicted to carbs!!!" posts these are the four main things named. I wonder why no one ever mentions apples or oranges. Fruits have tons of carbs.

because fruit carbs are obviously different than heavy carbs
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Check out inspiralized.com for vegetable "noodle" recipes that will rock your world
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I still eat my carbs and enjoy them immensely. I did switch to whole grain or multigrain breads/pastas, brown rice, and red potatoes. (Don't know how much better the red potatoes are but I like the flavor more.) A decent amount of the time I do spaghetti squash rather than spaghetti noodles for a chicken parm type meal. I see no point in cutting them out, just make smaller portions and make better choices!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    use mfp to hit your macros, its that simple .You need to stop eating exactly what you want but eat to make sure your protein and fat macros are close as well as the carbs .
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    kshadows wrote: »
    Why break? If you can replace some refined carbs with healthier complex carbs, just do that. My carb allowance is HIGH and it comes from oatmeal, whole grains, sweet potatoes, etc. There's nothing wrong with carbs.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    bread, potatoes, rice, and pasta
    Everytime I see one of these "I'm addicted to carbs!!!" posts these are the four main things named. I wonder why no one ever mentions apples or oranges. Fruits have tons of carbs.

I'm not much of a fruit eater, I have to make myself eat them! Because I alwasy have bread in my mouth lol
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    Thanks guys, I know it's all about portions and control!
  • purpletiger123
    Options
    I hate it when people make carbs out the be the big bad guy. Gram for gram, carbohydrates offer the same amount of calories as protein, plus you're getting plenty of essential nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and fibre. Of course, I'm talking about good carbs (fruits, veggies, etc.) not about refined carbohydrates that don't give you any of the good stuff.

Excess of most things is bad, whether it's carbs, protein, water, exercise, you name it. BALANCE IS KEY.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with switching your macros around based on what you think will help you. People just need to remember they're usually doing so not because carbs or fat or protein is bad but because they lack self control around them. Lower carbs if you need to but work on your mindset about food while you do it so if and when the day comes that you raise your carb intake again you will have worked the willpower muscle so you don't go over your recommended intake...

Also I've noticed in some LCHF groups people wondering why they are still gaining... Look at their calories and sure enough they've gone over them by overeating protein and fat. So that's another thing to keep in mind. In the end you'll lose weight through CICO so if lowering carbs helps you go for it just make sure you're not over or under eating.
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options

This. Carbs aren't the devil. Type of carbs is. Refined - uh uh.

Natural - go for it.

If you drop your carb intake a bit and up your fat, you won't crave as much carbs. 40/40/20 carbs/protein/fat is ideal

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That describes my starchier carbs yes. WHOLE grains. My carb allowance comes mostly from vegetables and some fruit.

• jmido
    jmido Posts: 18
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My problem is if i dont eat lots of carbs (breads and such), then i dont feel full, and i get hungry again after my meal faster.