Preparing for Thanksgiving

Options

Replies

• LSD09
    LSD09 Posts: 3
    Options
    Just started MFP. Reading and planning ahead for Thanksgiving on food for the day. Also doing a workout that morning... Which is a great to do. Take my tea and drink it during the day. One day but don't want it to lead back to old ways.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    My plan is to enjoy it, trying to keep in moderation as much as possible and then to get right back to it the next day.
  • erichegwer
    erichegwer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Everybody has such great ideas. Keep 'em coming!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is about food?????
  • spulia1
    spulia1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Log what you think you might reasonably eat beforehand. I know you wont KNOW what you're going to eat, or even what all the possibilities are. But see what 1900 calories of thanksgiving food might look like the day before.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lfl0nuPiYO1qdzjnp.gif
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Man, I really wish there were some more Thanksgiving threads. MFP should have a search button.
  • erichegwer
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Man, I really wish there were some more Thanksgiving threads. MFP should have a search button.
    There is a search button, at the top of the page, below the Navigation bar, and just above the title of this post :)
  • erichegwer
    Options
    spulia1 wrote: »
    Log what you think you might reasonably eat beforehand. I know you wont KNOW what you're going to eat, or even what all the possibilities are. But see what 1900 calories of thanksgiving food might look like the day before.

I sort of did, today. My brokerage had their annual Thangksiving day potluck. For the most part I did OK with it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    This is my third Thanksgiving on MFP...my first, I was just a couple of months into this little safari I like to call "good livin"...last year I was on maintenance and this year I'm on another small cut to lean out just a bit more. I'm going to do the same thing I've done the previous couple of years...I'm going to eat, drink, and be merry. I learned long ago that I could eat a good plate full of delicious food and call it good...I don't need to keep going back until my pants are about to explode.

Just enjoy yourself...it's an occasion...people don't get fat because of an occasion, holiday, birthday, etc...they get fat when they treat everyday like an occasion. Enjoy your holiday and enjoy spending time with your friends and family and be thankful for all that is good in your life.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Learning early on that it's not what you eat during the holidays, it's what you eat the other months between.

^So much THIS.
  • LettingTheSmallStuffGo
    Options
    I once heard that people who are naturally thin tend to eat whatever they want on special occasions but go right back to eating how they normally do the very next day. My plan is to track all day, exercise that morning which will buy me a 200-300 calories extra, and to eat every type of food I want to eat but in normal portions. Since there will be a wide variety of foods that probably means I will go over my calories for the day. Next day, not use it as an excuse to over eat all weekend and get right back on track at the correct calories.
  • jmido
    jmido Posts: 18
    Options
    Try doing some good exercise an hour or 2 before you eat. Itll give you some extra calories to eat for the day and get your metabolism all rev'ed up so youll digest everything you eat faster.

Also, pickout a nice plate of food but try to stay away from going back for seconds and you should be fine.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    By my calculations, I should be able to recover from my Thanksgiving calorie surplus over the next 18 years of my life. :|
  • Fit147
    Fit147 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been modifying our intake together. We are both down 20 pounds but want to celebrate Thanksgiving right. The biggest problem I see is not the one day celebration, but the dang leftovers that will be sitting in the fridge for days after. My plan to prepare reduced sizes of everything to help solve this. It will be a Half Batch Thanksgiving. Our turkey is a small one and I plan to half everything: MIL's recipes for cornbread stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, pumpkin and apple pies made in smaller 6" pie plates. I am doubling the McCormick gravy though. High in sodium but low in calories. You can never have too much gravy. ;)
  • missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Calories will not be counted that day. I'll just try to do some cardio that night. I would say I would go lighter on calories the next day but that's my birthday and calories will not be counted that day either. Oh well, it's just 2 days.

I might do a Fitbit challenge the Saturday after.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm really excited about thanksgiving this year. I've found a few choices of healthier dessert recipes of which I'll choose one to make... debating between a type of pumpkin custard or a blueberry crisp. and, I'll make a vegetable dish - also, now deciding the recipe. I'm thinking perhaps a winter squash casserole ... It's going to be a beautiful day. :)
  • LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My sister and I are planning an epic hike while turkey cooks to burn as many calories as possible. We're doing a practice run this weekend as well to bak some up early. I'll log, but taste everything in moderation if I can.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It's one day. Skip one of the following: Appetizers, alcohol or dessert. Enjoy all the rest of the meal. Remember it's only one day. B)
  • erichegwer
    Options
    eeks - I forogt about leftovers! Time to re-assess my plan