Must Have Thanksgiving Dishes?

Options
reginastiffler
reginastiffler Posts: 75 Member
My boyfriend and I just moved into a new apartment, so we are hosting Thanksgiving Dinner. I always manage to forget something essential. What are your must have Thanksgiving Dinner dishes?

So far, we are having turkey, gravy, homemade mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes topped with marshmellows, asparagus, corn, rolls, and pumpkin pie.

Replies

• Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Stuffing either in the turkey or separate in a baking dish?
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    candied carrots
    Stuffing
  • reginastiffler
    reginastiffler Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Snip8241 wrote: »
    Oh you're right. I forgot stuffing. I have it in the cabinet ready to go. Forgot cranberry sauce too which I still need to buy.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Oh yea, and I have to have cranberry sauce, homemade and the kind that is solid like jello in the can
  • VCanadapt
    VCanadapt Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    mac & cheese
    Cranberries
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Most of the above and a good Riesling. I can hardly wait!
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    mashed potatoes and gravy!
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    To me it's not thanksgiving without green beans, mashed potatoes, the cranberry jello stuff and stuffing. But it sounds like you've got it all!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Mushroom gravy and rice dressing my favorites from my south Louisiana heritage. But don't forget to have sandwich bread, mayo, bread and butter pickles for that turkey sandwich the next day.

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/11/a-thanksgiving-menu.html
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Our plan is turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, rolls, roasted asparagus, pumpkin pie and a jello dessert. There are only 3 of us and everyone said what they wanted and that was the list.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    This year I am making a curried pumpkin soup, and an apple, pear, cranberry crisp to bring to dinner at my parents.

And this super easy cranberry relish:

Ingredients
    1 unpeeled orange, cut into eighths and seeded
    1 12-ounce package Ocean Spray® Fresh or Frozen Cranberries, rinsed and drained
    3/4-1 cup sugar

Directions
    Place half the cranberries and half the orange slices in food processor container. Process until mixture is evenly chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with remaining cranberries and orange slices. Stir in sugar. Store in refrigerator or freezer.

Makes about 3 cups.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Okay, this first one is really scary because it uses Velveeta cheese, but its also really good.

Cheesy Carrots:

2 lbs carrots, thinly sliced
    2 T butter, melted
    1 lb Velveeta, melted
    ½ cup brown sugar
    1 cup crushed Ritz crackers

In a large pot of water, boil carrots until soft. Drain well. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a casserole dish. Smash crackers and mix with brown sugar in small bowl. Place drained, cooked carrots in casserole dish and pour cheese and butter over them. Gently stir well. Top with cracker mixture. Bake uncovered for 30 to 45 minutes until lightly browned.

The second one is something I heard on NPR about 10 years ago and had to try. Its now a favorite like the above, great served on turkey, or on the leftover turkey sandwich, and even on a pork roast or duck, etc.

Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish Recipe

• 2 cups raw cranberries
    • 1 small onion
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 3/4 cup sour cream
    • 2T Red Horseradish
    Grind the cranberries & onion together. Add remaining ingredients and mix. Put in a plastic container and freeze. Thanksgiving morning (or even the night before), move the container from the freezer to the refrigerator compartment to thaw (it should still have some little icy slivers left). The relish will be thick, creamy, and shocking pink (OK, Pepto Bismol pink). Makes 1 1/2 pints!

55835802.png

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes and gravy
    Apple, cranberry, walnut salad
    Green bean casserole
    Stuffing (not a fan though)
    Baked sweet potato casserole
    Cornbread
    Spinach & artichoke dip
    Pretzel rolo turtles
    Honey glazed carrots
    Pumpkin pie
    Apple pie
    Chocolate creme pie
    Cranberry relish
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    These were my must-have homemade dishes:
    • Roasted Turkey
    • Cornbread Stuffing (makes me sad that there are generations of people out there who think "Stove Top" is Thanksgiving-worthy!)
    • Mashed Potatoes (sometimes I'd make twice-baked potatoes, but it was usually mashed potatoes)
    • Turkey Gravy (boil the turkey neck and giblets for the broth, and also use pan drippings from the turkey)
    • Holiday Yams
    • Green Been Casserole
    • Roasted Brussel Sprouts & Carrots
    • Cranberry Sauce (usually not homemade, I go with Ocean Spray's canned sauce)
    • Rolls
    • Fruit Pie (usually pumpkin and/or apple)
    • Cream Pie (usually chocolate cream or coconut cream)

It's been a while since I made a big Thanksgiving Dinner. For the last few years it's just been my Dad and I and we prefer to just got out to a nice restaurant as neither of us need all the leftovers a homecooked TG meal produces!
  • Peaceful_
    Peaceful_ Posts: 33 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    cauliflower with melted cheese on top yummmm ( i usually use velveeta but im thinking of changing it up with something different... If anyone decides to have this make sure you drain all water (frozen cauliflower cook and drain water then melt cheese on top) ... its a wonderful side to add we love it at my house
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    my family does holiday cookies to kick off the winter season, but that's just us :) it's also nice to have crackers and cheese or a fruit tray to have before things cook. And maybe have others contribute a dish/dessert. As well...don't forget alcohol, soda, etc.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Snip8241 wrote: »
    Oh you're right. I forgot stuffing. I have it in the cabinet ready to go. Forgot cranberry sauce too which I still need to buy.

I hope "in the cabinet" doesn't mean "stove top"

*shudder*
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    For me, my two favorite things at Thanksgiving are Sweet Potato Casserole with a brown sugar/pecan topping, and Pecan Pie. Hmmm...
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Warm German Potato Salad. . . ..mmmm. . . . . . .nom nom nom
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I never miss the baked mac n cheese