Why do we fail...

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    I eat sugar everyday. It's palatable. Same way overseas and other countries. In fact our country isn't even the highest consumer of sugar ( there are at least 10 countries above us) and logically if sugar were the culprit, those countries should be more obese than us...........................but they aren't. Care to explain that?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• fabidevo
    Options
    simply put, we all fail not just at nutrition or fitness but in the goals and things we want to achieve because in order to succeed we must be willing to fail. the only way you know if you can do something is by trying it and failing. then you will truly know if you can or cant. but just because you cant achieve something right now doesn't mean you won't be able to in the future if you put enough effort and commitment into it. the world is full of people who like to live an easy life and never challenge themselves, they do the bare minimum required to get by. yet those people who want to succeed in whatever they want to succeed in, those are the people the world seeks. those are the people who aren't afraid to put the effort in and work in order to accomplish their goals and dreams. if taking care of yourself and working out was easy then everybody would do it. but we know that the things truly worth accomplishing and succeeding in the things that are the hardest to do. To quote ronnie coleman, "everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but nobody wanna lift no heavy *kitten* weight."
  • ninerbuff
    edited November 2014
    Options
    fabidevo wrote: »
    simply put, we all fail not just at nutrition or fitness but in the goals and things we want to achieve because in order to succeed we must be willing to fail. the only way you know if you can do something is by trying it and failing. then you will truly know if you can or cant. but just because you cant achieve something right now doesn't mean you won't be able to in the future if you put enough effort and commitment into it. the world is full of people who like to live an easy life and never challenge themselves, they do the bare minimum required to get by. yet those people who want to succeed in whatever they want to succeed in, those are the people the world seeks. those are the people who aren't afraid to put the effort in and work in order to accomplish their goals and dreams. if taking care of yourself and working out was easy then everybody would do it. but we know that the things truly worth accomplishing and succeeding in the things that are the hardest to do. To quote ronnie coleman, "everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but nobody wanna lift no heavy *kitten* weight."
    I wouldn't consider Coleman a great representative for success. He was a great champion in pro bodybuilding (due to great genetics, drugs and hard work), but now has had 2 hip replacements because of lifting that heavy weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jOR4mGP0sk (Coleman in the blue suit)

Lifting heavy weight isn't going to be the reason for success. Commitment and consistency will.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Success is a habit and a state of mind.

As is failure.

I like it. (*)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    0utrun wrote: »
    LOL - love all of the opinions. Everyone has one :) ...Do you plan on living your life after you lose the weight on the "diet" you are currently consuming? Cheers!

Yes. I have been easily maintaining at goal weight for well over 3 years and counting. I think I've got this thing pretty much figured out. ;)

• fabidevo
    fabidevo Posts: 11
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    fabidevo wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider Coleman a great representative for success. He was a great champion in pro bodybuilding (due to great genetics, drugs and hard work), but now has had 2 hip replacements because of lifting that heavy weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jOR4mGP0sk (Coleman in the blue suit)

Lifting heavy weight isn't going to be the reason for success. Commitment and consistency will.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

i do agree with you that Ronnie Coleman may not be the greatest representative for success and there are more qualified people and more well-know to use as examples, but i wasn't using him as an example. i just used a quote in which basically said "everybody wanna be a body builder" which i also think can translate to "everybody wants to be successful". and "but nobody wanna lift no heavy *kitten* weights" which can translate to "but no one wants to put in the effort/work."

you gotta admit he was successful in bodybuilding though. maybe not in other more well-known areas in his life or perhaps what we think what successful should be but he did put in the effort and work. (as well as some drugs and good genetics). gotta give a man credit were credit is due.
  • 0utrun
    0utrun Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I'll give you the main reasons why people fail:

Lack of education on weight loss
    Lack of a specific plan to achieve it
    Lack of commitment to following the plan

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This pretty much what I said in the beginning LOL - everything else, again, is your opinion.
  • 0utrun
    Options
    LOL - love all of the opinions. Everyone has one :) I'm sure you can lose weight on junk, low salt, commercially grown foods, diet foods, etcetera, etc. But this is for health and longevity, not "calories in, calories out" as we have been taught. Do you plan on living your life after you lose the weight on the "diet" you are currently consuming? Cheers!
    I've mentioned this before..................If low quality food, junk food were SPECIFICALLY the reason that health is impacted enough to shorten life, then prison inmates shouldn't be living very long at all. After all, that's all they eat daily. For years on in. And the obesity rate is quite low in prison.
    Their options aren't that of eating organic, nor being able to choose higher quality food. What would be your response to that?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

On this page is a sample prison food menu. It looks better than most people eat in a week. LOL

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/prison-food-menu-everything-you-never-wanted-to-know-about-prison-food
  • 0utrun
    Options
    I appreciate all the responses. It looks as though some people are taking this personally. Don't. It's silly and waste of time. Focus on improving your health and well being, anger creates stress in the body. Cheers!
  • 0utrun
    Options
    LOL - love all of the opinions. Everyone has one :) I'm sure you can lose weight on junk, low salt, commercially grown foods, diet foods, etcetera, etc. But this is for health and longevity, not "calories in, calories out" as we have been taught. Do you plan on living your life after you lose the weight on the "diet" you are currently consuming? Cheers!
    I've mentioned this before..................If low quality food, junk food were SPECIFICALLY the reason that health is impacted enough to shorten life, then prison inmates shouldn't be living very long at all. After all, that's all they eat daily. For years on in. And the obesity rate is quite low in prison.
    Their options aren't that of eating organic, nor being able to choose higher quality food. What would be your response to that?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Did you know that the average lifespan of a prison inmate is only about 39.5 years?

Some data to start
    http://fairsentencingofyouth.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Michigan-Life-Expectancy-Data-Youth-Serving-Life.pdf
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the responses. It looks as though some people are taking this personally. Don't. It's silly and waste of time. Focus on improving your health and well being, anger creates stress in the body. Cheers!

That is an extremely presumptuous assumption. I am not taking anything personally and am totally calm.

I do however find it amusing that you would try to play that old game when challenged.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Did you know that the average lifespan of a prison inmate is only about 39.5 years?

Some data to start
    http://fairsentencingofyouth.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Michigan-Life-Expectancy-Data-Youth-Serving-Life.pdf

Did you read it?

• ninerbuff
    Options
    0utrun wrote:
    This pretty much what I said in the beginning LOL - everything else, again, is your opinion.
    Nah, I stick more to facts than opinion.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    edited November 2014
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

On this page is a sample prison food menu. It looks better than most people eat in a week. LOL

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/prison-food-menu-everything-you-never-wanted-to-know-about-prison-food
    Guess you didn't read the actual article. While the menu looks decent, the actual QUALITY of the food was quite bad. Which is what I stated in the first place. Nice attempt though.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have been for over a decade. And I know that part of the reason I've been successful is the diet I've been eating. Isn't the goal maintenance?

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    ...is it because we cannot manage our own food intake? Or we lack the nutritional knowledge to make the right decisions? Are we just too sedentary from modern day conveniences? Or maybe that we are constantly bombarded with advertisements to consume more than we know we should? Maybe we just have too much to choose from?

Have you ever stopped to consider the food and diet industry? There is so much money to be made off poor Joes and Janes that do not have the correct information about diet and nutrition.
    This benefits the suppliers, not the consumers. We buy and eat and feel guilty, so we buy and eat more hoping to fill a hole that will never be filled. This leads to weight gain, sadness, illness and ultimately, depression.

Then, we follow the "diet plan". Not knowing a damn thing about what is in the food, or pills, you put into your mouth. There is no magic pill or diet or magic machine that will fix your problems. End the cycle. Educate yourself about what your are eating and how to keep your body agile. Then make a permanent change.

What about daily life? Now that is stressful. Work, eat, sleep, repeat. Fit everything else on your list sometime between those daily tasks. How can you expect to have time to work out/eat right when you are so pinched for time every day? This is simple. Make the time for yourself. If it is important to you, you will find a way, if not, then you will find an excuse.

Then there are the yo-yo diets. Lose 50lbs, gain 40lbs. back, etc. How do you break this cycle? Make a permanent change.

This is where you start. Look deep into yourself. Do you like what you see? Do you remember your dream, your wish, your goal? What are you hiding? Who are you.. really? Do you have a spiritual connection? Do you have any ambition, drive or willpower? What do you want to do after you lose/gain this weight?

If you do not know the answers to these questions, then you are not ready to start.

This is very important. If you want to lose weight and be successful, stop eating crap. If you can't pronounce the ingredients, then it is probably bad for you. There are persistent organic pollutants that were banned in 42 countries in the world that some countries (usa for example) still use today as food additives. These are pesticides and are the cause of a lot of illness in various countries around the world today. You can check out some basic information about them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistent_organic_pollutant.

The worst offenders are soda, diet drinks (any kind), artificial sweeteners, boxed and/or processed foods, diet foods, anything low fat, low sodium, fat free, etc. Hormones in animals and GMO's are another issue but I will let you make the call on that one.

Best foods to eat. Fresh, locally produced foods. If you live in the city, go outside the city and find a local farmer's, butcher's market or produce stand. Organics (if you can afford them), foods that have ingredients you can pronounce. Water and plenty of it.

Yes, it is more expensive. But in the long run, it is a hell of a lot cheaper than the doctor bills you could be facing in 7-10 years. Digestion issues, gallstones, kidney, liver, bladder, acid reflux, these are just the beginning.

Another thing. Sugar is a drug and some researchers have shown that sugar is more addictive than cocaine. Yikes! Imagine snorting a line of powdered sugar in your kitchen because the oreos have run out. Crazy right? The quicker you lower it and get it out of your diet, the happier you will feel.

Speaking of happy, serotonin levels (that happy feeling) increase after a vigorous workout of 20 min or more, depending on what you are doing. The more you work out your body, the easier it is to cope with life's stresses.

One last thing, get off your butt. The average person spends 3 hours a day in front of the computer or electronic device and another 2-5 hours in front of a tv. That's a scary thought. All that sitting and compressing your spine and stiffening your muscles. No wonder you get sore easily! Turn it off and go for a walk. Stretch for a few minutes even. You will be doing your mind and body a favor. :)

You keep talking about how everyone has an opinion and that it may or may not be correct. Everything that you put in the OP is YOUR opinion - no scientific facts, or peer reviewed studies. Your opinion in accordance to science is moslty bunk and *kitten*.
  • LovelyMarie774
    LovelyMarie774 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I think a lot of people fall prey to the way companies make money by making us feel inadequate. We need X, Y, or Z right now because of "...." This has just escalated in the past couple of decades with the internet, and now we have to deal with Google Ads and cookies tracking us. There's no escape. It's even on your phone using free apps. Marketing data analytics is a growing industry for a reason. It gets results!

For myself, it also has to do with poor management of calories and macros. If I focus too much on one macro in a meal, I feel off, and my blood sugar crashes. This makes me feel like cookie monster ....all the food right now omg.... that feeling. It's like freaking withdrawal symptoms sometimes! To stay away from that I know I have to eat balanced meals. Or I crash. And eat the kitchen.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Some data to start
    Um, no the data you posted stated this:

"The actual extent of the diminished life expectancy resulting from imprisonment was addressed by the United States Sentencing Commission which defines a life sentence as 470 months (or just over 39 years)."

And from the same report:

"While the Sentencing Commission positsanaverage life expectancy, for all prisoners, at 64 years, adjusting for length of sentence and race, results in a significant diminishment of life expectancy. See also U.S. v. Nelson, 491 F 3d 344,349-50 (7th
    Cir 2012) (acknowledging the decreased life expectancy for incarcerated individuals
    based on United States Sentencing Commission data).
    When we looked at life expectancy for Michigan adults incarcerated for natural life
    sentences in Michigan, the average life expectancy decreased to 58.1 years. When adjusted for race, the average life expectancy for African-American adults, sentenced to
    natural life, is 56.0 years, and for whites, 60.1 years."

Probably should read the whole article before posting what you believe as facts.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm sorry but all of this ^^^this seems a surreal argument from a fitness trainer (and moderator) on a health site : prisoners eat low quality food, therefore we should, because those on life sentences live until they are around 60.