Why do we fail...

Options

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    We fail because it is not easy. If it were easy we would all be the perfect weight.
    Most of us know what we have to do to lose weight, which is to eat less calories than we burn. There is not magic cure for this. Being aware of what we eat and drink and the calories we consume vs the calories we burn is all it takes. Simple answer to a complex question. Bottom line is, if we want to be successful, we need to be diligent and monitor ourselves. That is why MFP is such a great tool for so many of us. If done correctly, it really works.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    We fail because while weight loss is as simple as calories in, calories out it is not easy for most people to stick to the deficit.

It's human nature to want to be comforted, eat all the foods, drink all the beers, lay on the couch for 12 hours. This morning I woke up at 5:30 and was all set to go to the gym and then I was like "it's cold, I'll go later" meaning after work. But what if later comes and I don't go? What if lunchtime comes and instead of my prelogged sandwich I go to a local spot with my coworkers and eat a panini of indiscriminate macros?

All we can do is make the best choices we can and keep moving forward if we stumble. That's all. People fail because they look at this as something they can "quit." This is just my life.
  • bnybanker
    bnybanker Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good post! You outlined the problems well- the suggested solutions are vague, but I appreciate the effort. Thanks---
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but all of this ^^^this seems a surreal argument from a fitness trainer (and moderator) on a health site : prisoners eat low quality food, therefore we should, because those on life sentences live until they are around 60.
    If you read what I was REALLY posting, my argumentation was that IF processed foods were the direct cause of shorter lives, then prison inmates should be living shorter lives.....................and they aren't (at least not from food). That was the point of the post.
    Processed foods aren't going to kill anyone off any faster than eating whole foods. I was debating this point versus the point of the OP. Are whole foods a better choice? From a nutritional standpoint yes. But health is more than just about food.
    Me being a moderator and fitness trainer doesn't mean I'm going to echo what a lot of the fitness industry is going to endorse as "healthy" for every individual. If anything, I'm going to use research to support statements I make to help people on here with correct information rather than opinions on what others have heard or believe is healthy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• 0utrun
    0utrun Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    0utrun wrote: »
    ...is it because we cannot manage our own food intake? Or we lack the nutritional knowledge to make the right decisions? Are we just too sedentary from modern day conveniences? Or maybe that we are constantly bombarded with advertisements to consume more than we know we should? Maybe we just have too much to choose from?

Have you ever stopped to consider the food and diet industry? There is so much money to be made off poor Joes and Janes that do not have the correct information about diet and nutrition.
    This benefits the suppliers, not the consumers. We buy and eat and feel guilty, so we buy and eat more hoping to fill a hole that will never be filled. This leads to weight gain, sadness, illness and ultimately, depression.

Then, we follow the "diet plan". Not knowing a damn thing about what is in the food, or pills, you put into your mouth. There is no magic pill or diet or magic machine that will fix your problems. End the cycle. Educate yourself about what your are eating and how to keep your body agile. Then make a permanent change.

What about daily life? Now that is stressful. Work, eat, sleep, repeat. Fit everything else on your list sometime between those daily tasks. How can you expect to have time to work out/eat right when you are so pinched for time every day? This is simple. Make the time for yourself. If it is important to you, you will find a way, if not, then you will find an excuse.

Then there are the yo-yo diets. Lose 50lbs, gain 40lbs. back, etc. How do you break this cycle? Make a permanent change.

This is where you start. Look deep into yourself. Do you like what you see? Do you remember your dream, your wish, your goal? What are you hiding? Who are you.. really? Do you have a spiritual connection? Do you have any ambition, drive or willpower? What do you want to do after you lose/gain this weight?

If you do not know the answers to these questions, then you are not ready to start.

This is very important. If you want to lose weight and be successful, stop eating crap. If you can't pronounce the ingredients, then it is probably bad for you. There are persistent organic pollutants that were banned in 42 countries in the world that some countries (usa for example) still use today as food additives. These are pesticides and are the cause of a lot of illness in various countries around the world today. You can check out some basic information about them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistent_organic_pollutant.

The worst offenders are soda, diet drinks (any kind), artificial sweeteners, boxed and/or processed foods, diet foods, anything low fat, low sodium, fat free, etc. Hormones in animals and GMO's are another issue but I will let you make the call on that one.

Best foods to eat. Fresh, locally produced foods. If you live in the city, go outside the city and find a local farmer's, butcher's market or produce stand. Organics (if you can afford them), foods that have ingredients you can pronounce. Water and plenty of it.

Yes, it is more expensive. But in the long run, it is a hell of a lot cheaper than the doctor bills you could be facing in 7-10 years. Digestion issues, gallstones, kidney, liver, bladder, acid reflux, these are just the beginning.

Another thing. Sugar is a drug and some researchers have shown that sugar is more addictive than cocaine. Yikes! Imagine snorting a line of powdered sugar in your kitchen because the oreos have run out. Crazy right? The quicker you lower it and get it out of your diet, the happier you will feel.

Speaking of happy, serotonin levels (that happy feeling) increase after a vigorous workout of 20 min or more, depending on what you are doing. The more you work out your body, the easier it is to cope with life's stresses.

One last thing, get off your butt. The average person spends 3 hours a day in front of the computer or electronic device and another 2-5 hours in front of a tv. That's a scary thought. All that sitting and compressing your spine and stiffening your muscles. No wonder you get sore easily! Turn it off and go for a walk. Stretch for a few minutes even. You will be doing your mind and body a favor. :)

You keep talking about how everyone has an opinion and that it may or may not be correct. Everything that you put in the OP is YOUR opinion - no scientific facts, or peer reviewed studies. Your opinion in accordance to science is moslty bunk and *kitten*.

I thought that what a post was for. Opinions. LOL I never said I was an expert, this is my opinion. I do not need science or various excerpts to back up or prove anything as I am not proving anything, simply stating an, again, opinion. Cheers!
  • 0utrun
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I appreciate all the responses. It looks as though some people are taking this personally. Don't. It's silly and waste of time. Focus on improving your health and well being, anger creates stress in the body. Cheers!

That is an extremely presumptuous assumption. I am not taking anything personally and am totally calm.

I do however find it amusing that you would try to play that old game when challenged.

LOL I don't really understand this. What am I being challenged on again?
  • 0utrun
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    LOL - love all of the opinions. Everyone has one :) I'm sure you can lose weight on junk, low salt, commercially grown foods, diet foods, etcetera, etc. But this is for health and longevity, not "calories in, calories out" as we have been taught. Do you plan on living your life after you lose the weight on the "diet" you are currently consuming? Cheers!
    I've mentioned this before..................If low quality food, junk food were SPECIFICALLY the reason that health is impacted enough to shorten life, then prison inmates shouldn't be living very long at all. After all, that's all they eat daily. For years on in. And the obesity rate is quite low in prison.
    Their options aren't that of eating organic, nor being able to choose higher quality food. What would be your response to that?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Did you know that the average lifespan of a prison inmate is only about 39.5 years?

Some data to start
    http://fairsentencingofyouth.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Michigan-Life-Expectancy-Data-Youth-Serving-Life.pdf

Did you read it?

Yes, the average lifespan on a prison inmate, regardless of age when entered is 39.5 years give or take. This is the average lifespan on a life sentence in jail. LOL
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    LOL - love all of the opinions. Everyone has one :) I'm sure you can lose weight on junk, low salt, commercially grown foods, diet foods, etcetera, etc. But this is for health and longevity, not "calories in, calories out" as we have been taught. Do you plan on living your life after you lose the weight on the "diet" you are currently consuming? Cheers!
    I've mentioned this before..................If low quality food, junk food were SPECIFICALLY the reason that health is impacted enough to shorten life, then prison inmates shouldn't be living very long at all. After all, that's all they eat daily. For years on in. And the obesity rate is quite low in prison.
    Their options aren't that of eating organic, nor being able to choose higher quality food. What would be your response to that?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Did you know that the average lifespan of a prison inmate is only about 39.5 years?

Some data to start
    http://fairsentencingofyouth.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Michigan-Life-Expectancy-Data-Youth-Serving-Life.pdf

Did you read it?

Yes, the average lifespan on a prison inmate, regardless of age when entered is 39.5 years give or take. This is the average lifespan on a life sentence in jail. LOL

Did you read the reasons why? LOL
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I appreciate all the responses. It looks as though some people are taking this personally. Don't. It's silly and waste of time. Focus on improving your health and well being, anger creates stress in the body. Cheers!

That is an extremely presumptuous assumption. I am not taking anything personally and am totally calm.

I do however find it amusing that you would try to play that old game when challenged.

LOL I don't really understand this. What am I being challenged on again?

Your post.

ETA: the obligatory.... LOL
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Ignore feature, please come back.
    t7eazfl8su4c.gif
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Some data to start

Did you read it?

So they live approximately 40 years ON TOP of whatever age they are...................including the low quality food they eat along with the dangerous daily life of prison.
    So again, is eating low quality food getting them to die 40 years later after incarceration? Doubt it.
    Processed "junk" as you say, isn't the issue. Over consumption is the demise of people who are very overweight and obese.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    We fail because we are human!

Sidenote: YOU are feeding the prisoners! If you want them to have "better" food, demand a tax increase. Their lifestyle has to do with their life expectancy, you try being addicted to (enter drug of choice here). Eating healthy is not their primary concern yet they are given balanced meals - and free medication/health care, free cable and newspapers too!

ETA: Stating that sugar is addictive is insulting to those who actually have a drug or alcohol addiction. Stop enabling!! Can a meth addict just return to weekend use of the drug? NO!!! Can someone on a diet have just one cookie instead of the sleeve of oreos? YES!!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,934 Member
    Options
    This post is making me hungry.
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Instead of saying why do we fail, perhaps the right terminology is why do we fall short. Same thing I guess - just splitting hairs. I know for me I have lost weight and gained, been on the never ending yo-yo. Stress over losing my child affected me - so I ate, decided enough was enough - so I lost. Lack of income when my husband was diagnosed with cancer for the second time - I ate, needed to have double knee replacement and didn't want to be fat going through rehab - so I lost.
    - Stress at work, my husband losing his job, husband diagnosed with a debilitating bone disease, just a number of things- so I ate again. I want to lose and try daily but I haven't quite made it back to where I once was. Will turn 50 in a month in 10 days. Wanted to have lost 20-30 pounds by then - I still have hope but I don't know if I'll make it. Being the person responsible for the family income, meals, chores and not just for one house but for two - it gets to be a bit much. I know I'm an emotional eater and I have family support but sometimes that just isn't enough. I see family members losing weight and I get discouraged because I want to lose it to but I don't have the finances to do what they are doing. So I do what I can but the weight isn't coming off the same way it is for them.
    - I have a beautiful sister and she's losing weight but I can't be on the same program she's on. Not for not wanting but financially I'm just not there.
    - So although I don't think I've failed - I have fallen short of what and where I want to be. I think anyone can lose weight - even me. I just think we have to decide enough is enough and stick to it. Right now to be honest, I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself and I need to let it go.
    - I'll work it out - hopefully those like me can work it out as well.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Why do we fail? Because we try...

As the great philosopher Homer Simpson put it: 'Trying is the first step towards failure.'

Along the same lines, the Master himself said: 'Do or do not, there is no try.'

In other words, don't try to do something - just do it. Doing entails an entirely different level of commitment than trying.

Doing gets results.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Unfortunately, the good advice in this post is contaminated by unfounded "natural" food claims and pseudo-science faddish thinking.
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »
    I lost over 120 pounds eating" junk " all the time. Most of my work dinners were prepacked stuff. Is it healthy? Probably not, but for losing, all about those calories.

This

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but all of this ^^^this seems a surreal argument from a fitness trainer (and moderator) on a health site : prisoners eat low quality food, therefore we should, because those on life sentences live until they are around 60.
    If you read what I was REALLY posting, my argumentation was that IF processed foods were the direct cause of shorter lives, then prison inmates should be living shorter lives.....................and they aren't (at least not from food). That was the point of the post.
    Processed foods aren't going to kill anyone off any faster than eating whole foods. I was debating this point versus the point of the OP. Are whole foods a better choice? From a nutritional standpoint yes. But health is more than just about food.
    Me being a moderator and fitness trainer doesn't mean I'm going to echo what a lot of the fitness industry is going to endorse as "healthy" for every individual. If anything, I'm going to use research to support statements I make to help people on here with correct information rather than opinions on what others have heard or believe is healthy.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I did read it. And all your other follow up replies. I stand by my statement that it's odd.
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    We fail because it is not easy. If it were easy we would all be the perfect weight.
    Most of us know what we have to do to lose weight, which is to eat less calories than we burn. There is not magic cure for this. Being aware of what we eat and drink and the calories we consume vs the calories we burn is all it takes. Simple answer to a complex question. Bottom line is, if we want to be successful, we need to be diligent and monitor ourselves. That is why MFP is such a great tool for so many of us. If done correctly, it really works.

This