Gym or Home Work- out?

Which do you prefer - pros & cons to each?

Replies

• lisabee77
    lisabee77 Posts: 13 Member
    Home. I can wear whatever I want and listen to loud music (or not). I roll out of bed, get dressed and go workout. No travel time. No crowds, no waiting for a piece of equipment and no germs from sick people exercising.
    The only con is that I don't have a few things that the gym does...mainly a bunch of different sized dumbbells ready to go and a squat cage. I've been slowly collecting equipment though and will have it all soon.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Gym. It would be far too expensive to outfit a homegym the way that would make me happy (I might be a bit spoilt and would insist that it have everything I have between my two current gyms)
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Both - The gym because once I am there I will more than likely complete my workout as planned.
    - Home because I can take breaks as long as I need to and I can curse out loud!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Gym. I have tried multiple times in the past to work out at home. I'm not disciplined enough. Minus doing a few pull ups here and there when I walk by my bar I can't work out at home.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    I love my home gym. I am disciplined enough to get my workouts in everyday and I don't have to get out in the cold or snow. I don't have to share equipment with some sweaty, stinky guy with obnoxious protein farts. I workout in my underwear and don't wear shoes. No monthly fees or memberships. No guys balking at you or trying to "show you" how to lift heavy weights. I also don't have to tolerate cardio bunnies that come to the gym all dressed up with full make up. It's just me and the iron!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Both, I love the gym for the equipment it has to offer but its nice to have a treadmill and some weights at the house for the days I am running short on time
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Home gym here. I bought a squat rack and other gear second hand & dirt cheap and I have it set up the way I like it. I don't have to share, I don't have to travel and it's easy enough to roll out of bed of a morning and get a workout done before the kids get up.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Gym for equipment variety and less distractions I set time and when there focus leave everything at door and just relax and have fun
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I prefer the gym...way more equipment than I could ever have. Also, I just get way too distracted at home with the kids...this needs fixed or that needs fixed or whatever...gym time is my time, and that wouldn't really happen at home.

I would like to get some bumper plates and an Olympic bar for home though and build an Oly-platform. Other than that I primarily do a lot of biking and a little running.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    both. depends on how I feel and what I wanna do. Lift? Gym. Kettlebell or bodyweight or calisthenics? Home or gym.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Both! I love how many options I have at the gym (especially that assisted pull-up machine!) but I hate people. Ugh.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Neither. Go for a run, then do bodyweight work while I'm out in the woods.
  • girl_w_2_forks_and_a_knife
    girl_w_2_forks_and_a_knife Posts: 19 Member
    edited November 2014
    At home is my preference. Easier for me to accomplish my goals, and I'm more disciplined. I have got several DVDs that I use, weights and resistance bands. I do visit the gym but not often enough, and mostly for cycling.

Cons about at home is that I don't have a set routine because I have so much flexibility. The gym is a controlled environment so I cannot blast music, and I cannot stand waiting to use equipment.
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    At home as our local gym sucks. New enough to this so need to get more stuff for home. Use DVDs and an elliptical at home.
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Home. Being in a wheelchair, most of the equipment at gyms isn't accessible to me anyway. I've got a bench, dumbbells, barbells, and a homemade lat pulldown system, so I can pretty much do all I need/want to do at home... the only thing I would like to have access to that I don't is a pec deck. Plus, like others have mentioned, it's more convenient, I can crank up my music and not deal with having to wear ear buds, I don't have to be concerned with my attire and I can control the temperature of the room. :smile:
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    I'm currently working out at home, and unless I suddenly get the money to drop on a power rack and barbell, it's definitely lacking. It really depends on what your goal is, though.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Both.

The gym for the pool, and home (or outside) for everything else. :smiley:
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Both.. I like the gym for the cardio at lunch...and I have a rack at home with a lat attachment and enough plates and dumbbells to be dangerous to myself... for me it's all about convenience... MY company's gym is top dollar... at lunch I just blast down 7 flights of stairs... and I can squeeze in a 30-40 minute cardio... and after work... when I get home... I can turn up the tunes... and lift things up and put them back down... and I don't have someone hovering nearby waiting for me to finish.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Mostly home and lunch breaks at work. Work doesn't have a gym, but there are showers and plenty of roads to run on. I do take some classes w/ County Parks & Rec when they have something I like that fits my schedule. I prefer at home work outs though. I can do what I want, fart if I have to, and listen to my own tunes.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Both. I go to the gym to lift weights in the morning then in the afternoon I do my DDP yoga and every other day I hit the bike trainer.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, you're lying to yourself if you think you can't get better results in less time with access to the kind of equipment you typically see in a gym vs. just a set of dumbbells and a little doorframe mounted pullup bar. Also, you can safely push yourself harder when there are people around who are trained in first aid and can spot you. It's not for everyone though. I find that unless you can make it to the gym early in the morning (which is not for everyone) you often have to restructure your workouts around what equipment is available. Additionally, commuting to and from the gym may be problematic for some people. Personally, I prefer working out at home because I need quiet and I can't be surrounded by mirrors. I won't deny though that I'd get better results in less time if I had a commercial grade squat rack and rowing machine.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Gym-- no distractions, only one thing to do there: work out. Oh and the automated temperature control. Love it.
  • splashtree5
    splashtree5 Posts: 210 Member
    I go to gym usually I like to workout with a partner but if I don't have time home is a good option.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Home.

The cost of a good treadmill, rowing machine and multi-gym can be offset against gym membership in only a few years and you have the convenience factor if you actually use the equipment and you have the space.

For many people joining a gym may a better choice, lower initial cash outlay, access to trainers, group classes, wider range of equipment etc etc
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    edited November 2014
    I prefer to workout at home because it cuts out travel time and day care and I can do it when ever I want to. I'm also lucky enough to have the space to set it up with everything I want, I suppose if I only had room for bands and DVDs I'd prefer a gym. Guess it depends on your situation and what you can put into a home outfit or not....... my home gym includes treadmill, spin bike, squat rack, punching bag, pole, yoga mats, plyo boxes, Lebert Equalizers, and of course big *kitten* mirrors so I can't cheat. I also have a high school a block away I run to at 5am and run up and down the bleachers.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    My gyms got a punch bag, cargo net, tyres for flipping and oodles of weights. Home I have...a kettlebell. So yeah gym but I'd like to work on some home routine too at some point so have DL YAYOG and convict conditioning and want to get a door suspension thing
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited November 2014
    I'll take my home gym any day over the local gym.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    gym, love dem yoga pants.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Right now I have a home gym with a squat rack and the basics. It works well since my lifting program doesn't call for much, but I wouldn't mind having the wide variety of machines that come with a gym.
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Both! Of course my situation is different because I live in a studio apartment on a college campus, but I find each place gives me plenty of options. At home, I generally do YouTube workouts or DVDs (I've been doing a lot of Tae Bo the past couple weeks on YouTube), and at the gym I can get in my treadmill or elliptical workout whenever I get tired of YouTube or DVDs for a few days.