Potatoes, rice, bread and all that stuff

Options
Question: Health-wise, if you eat enough proteins, lots of veggies and fruits, some milk or yogurt, do you really need to eat rice, potatoes or bread at every meal? I use to hear that they should be 1/4 of your plate, but is this just propaganda?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    jeansuza wrote: »
    Question: Health-wise, if you eat enough proteins, lots of veggies and fruits, some milk or yogurt, do you really need to eat rice, potatoes or bread at every meal? I use to hear that they should be 1/4 of your plate, but is this just propaganda?
    You never "need" to eat starchy carbs. You can. But you never "need to". You certainly never "need" to eat refined grains (store bought bread, pastas etc).
    I eat bread *maybe* once a week, if that, and when I do it's 100% whole grain. I eat some brown rice (+- 1 cup a week?). I eat a sweet potato once a month or so. I eat 100% whole grain pasta once every few weeks or so.
    I get plenty of carbs from fruits, veggies and dairy.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I use to hear that they should be 1/4 of your plate, but is this just propaganda?

pretty much, yes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I've never heard that bread, rice specifically should be 1/4 of the place.
    "my plate" (the government) suggests 1/4 of the plate be grains. So it's a logical conclusion.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    yes, propaganda….you can eat as many carbs as you want, unless you have some kind of medical condition that makes you sensitive to them. overeating = weight gain, not over eating carbs….

so eat all the carbs you want, just fit them into your calorie and macro targets and you will be fine.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do anything...but potatoes are delicious.
  • F1tnessCh1ck
    F1tnessCh1ck Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    it's not necessary to have carbs at every meal. I eat them, but I usually try to eat them earlier in the day along with my fruit. once or twice a week I will have them for dinner. But if you're going to have them, brown rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown bread - never ever ever ever white anything! It's crap.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    it's not necessary to have carbs at every meal. I eat them, but I usually try to eat them earlier in the day along with my fruit. once or twice a week I will have them for dinner. But if you're going to have them, brown rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown bread - never ever ever ever white anything! It's crap.

smh
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do anything...but potatoes are delicious.

+1

and bread
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    yes, propaganda….you can eat as many carbs as you want, unless you have some kind of medical condition that makes you sensitive to them. overeating = weight gain, not over eating carbs….

so eat all the carbs you want, just fit them into your calorie and macro targets and you will be fine.

I love when people give real answers :D
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You never "need" to eat starchy carbs. You can. But you never "need to". You certainly never "need" to eat refined grains (store bought bread, pastas etc).
    I eat bread *maybe* once a week, if that, and when I do it's 100% whole grain. I eat some brown rice (+- 1 cup a week?). I eat a sweet potato once a month or so. I eat 100% whole grain pasta once every few weeks or so.
    I get plenty of carbs from fruits, veggies and dairy.

I do
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Can you please explain what makes white rice, white bread or regular potatoes crap? Be specific.
  • hfbs616
    hfbs616 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think fresh baked bread is the best thing in the world. In all seriousness ndj1979 is right.
    ndj1979 wrote: »

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Can you please explain what makes white rice, white bread or regular potatoes crap? Be specific.

Shape magazine
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I've never heard that bread, rice specifically should be 1/4 of the place.
    "my plate" (the government) suggests 1/4 of the plate be grains. So it's a logical conclusion.
    1/4 plate does not mean literally taking up 1/4 of the plate's surface.

One of my favorite dinner foods is vegetarian chicken tenders. They're battered in whole grains. I dip them in Italian dressing. That meal has a ton of carbohydrates (40+ grams)/grains. Most things people eat are not purely broken into the categories shown on choosemyplate.gov.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

100+ year old Asians are being slooowly killed by them
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Santana-glee-rolling-eyes-festivals-gif.gif
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

100+ year old Asians are being slooowly killed by them

It's an epidemic. I just had a baked potato the other day...and sushi before that...I guess I better get to the doctor so that I can detox from all the crap with a $200 cleanse.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You don't 'need' to eat them if you don't want too.

Carbs are needed for energy though - Swap white carbs for brown :wink:

I love love love carbs... But try and watch the belly carb bloat hahah :neutral_face: