protein bars

Options
I want to know everyone's thoughts on protein bars? I was just at the grocery store and there are tons of them. My roommate eats the clif bars and I know others who eat the snickers marathon and luna bars. THOUGHTS PLEASE! Should I eat them? OR are they bad for you?

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I make my own, much cheaper. This is the original recipe, but I'm going to add more oats to mine to up the fiber.

protein bar.

6 tbsp peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
    1 cup dry Quaker old fashioned oats (uncooked)
    6 scoops vanilla protein
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup water (depending on what type of protein you use, you may need to add more)

Spray an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

Combine dry ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix well. Add peanut butter and mix - the mixture will be crumbly and dry. Add water & vanilla.

Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, everything until a dough forms. The dough will be sticky. Spread dough into pan using a clean wooden spoon or spatula that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Refrigerate a few hours (or freeze for an hour) and cut into 10 squares. Wrap bars individually (use sandwich bags or plastic wrap) or store in covered container between sheets of wax paper. Keep refrigerated.
  • buhller
    buhller Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like Luna Bars. They're a good amount of protein, have lots of extra vitamins specific for women (like calcium and folic acid), and aren't full of sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Also, super tasty.
  • angechilada
    angechilada Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    basically all of them are no better than candy bars because they're full of sugar/carbs. The only one I've found that isn't full of crap are Quest Bars (http://www.questproteinbar.com/) but they're only available online right now. you can get free shipping on a box right now with the code facebooklove. I love the vanilla almond ones. But I'm probably going to stop buying them once this semester ends, because it's way better to just cook your own food, imo. I cook hard-boiled eggs in advance for a good protein snack, or eat a mozzarella cheese stick. You can also make protein shakes with whey protein (walmart.com sells a really inexpensive Body Fortress line of whey protein and the chocolate/vanilla flavors are really good!).
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Bump! Will try the recipe later.
  • angechilada
    angechilada Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Luna Bars have 10g of sugar (about 2.5 teaspoons), which isn't as much as some of the other bars, but it's still not that great. I get quest bars because they only have 4g net carbs, and they're really delicious. But to each their own.
  • kmreynolds11
    kmreynolds11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I make my own, much cheaper. This is the original recipe, but I'm going to add more oats to mine to up the fiber.

protein bar.

6 tbsp peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
    1 cup dry Quaker old fashioned oats (uncooked)
    6 scoops vanilla protein
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup water (depending on what type of protein you use, you may need to add more)

Spray an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

Combine dry ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix well. Add peanut butter and mix - the mixture will be crumbly and dry. Add water & vanilla.

Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, everything until a dough forms. The dough will be sticky. Spread dough into pan using a clean wooden spoon or spatula that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Refrigerate a few hours (or freeze for an hour) and cut into 10 squares. Wrap bars individually (use sandwich bags or plastic wrap) or store in covered container between sheets of wax paper. Keep refrigerated.

This is great! Def going to whip up some of these tonight! Thanks for sharing :)
  • jammyone
    jammyone Posts: 80
    Options
    Peak body Pro 50 bars.

50G of Protein per bar and they only cost £1.60 each if you buy a box.

There's also 25g versions available and also one that has low gi carbs too but I'm a low carber so the Pro 50's suit me fine.

They're great, taste great and I'm yet to find a better one.
  • SparksFly460
    SparksFly460 Posts: 258
    Options
    Doctor's Carbrite. Some GNC stores carry them, or you can get them online. Between 0-2 net impact carbs. High protein, very filling, good flavors!
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    Peak body Pro 50 bars.

50G of Protein per bar and they only cost £1.60 each if you buy a box.

There's also 25g versions available and also one that has low gi carbs too but I'm a low carber so the Pro 50's suit me fine.

They're great, taste great and I'm yet to find a better one.

I think if you check the ingredients on Peak Body Pro 50 bars you will see hydrolysed protein, another name for connective tissues of animals, or collagen. A protein which the body cannot absorb or use properly.

In fact most protein bars I've seen do seem to contain collagen as their main protein source and due to the poor absorption of this protein in the body are ineffective.

I would love to be proven wrong on this front as I can finally buy protein bars, but my research seems to suggest this.
  • jammyone
    jammyone Posts: 80
    Options

I think if you check the ingredients on Peak Body Pro 50 bars you will see hydrolysed protein, another name for connective tissues of animals, or collagen. A protein which the body cannot absorb or use properly.

In fact most protein bars I've seen do seem to contain collagen as their main protein source and due to the poor absorption of this protein in the body are ineffective.

I would love to be proven wrong on this front as I can finally buy protein bars, but my research seems to suggest this.

Cheers for your thoughts. There is indeed debate on whether it can be absorbed or not, same with Caesin proteins in-fact. But the way I see it, some supplemented lower biologically available protein is better than no protein. Until someone makes a protein bar made from steak, cheese, tuna and eggs these will have to do for me.
  • SuziScott
    SuziScott Posts: 57
    Options
    I like the Vega Vibrancy bars! They don't have the greatest taste ever, but they are full of healthy ingredients!
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I like the Pro Crunch Lite bars.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options

Cheers for your thoughts. There is indeed debate on whether it can be absorbed or not, same with Caesin proteins in-fact. But the way I see it, some supplemented lower biologically available protein is better than no protein. Until someone makes a protein bar made from steak, cheese, tuna and eggs these will have to do for me.

Just noticed you're from Bristol, have you looked at Reflex Flapjacks? They are not a protein bar as such as they are heavy in carbs and fats compared to Peak Body bars (although Reflex are lower in Sat Fats). But they use hydrolysed whey protein as their only source of protein instead of hydrolysed protein and caesin proteins.

Depending on what you're aiming for they can be a good replacement and work out slightly cheaper at about £1 a bar.
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I like the Pure Protein bars. Lower in fat than most and very low sugar, plus lots of flavors to choose from and they taste great.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I like the Pure Protein bars. Lower in fat than most and very low sugar, plus lots of flavors to choose from and they taste great.

^^This.

20grams of protein
    2grams of sugar

I enjoy these very much.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Detour bars taste deliscious!!
  • jrp31
    jrp31 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

^^This.

20grams of protein
    2grams of sugar

I enjoy these very much.

+2
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    I like Nugo Bars (I get a multipack from Costco.) 170 cal, 2.5 fat, 26 carb, 2.5 fiber, 13 sugar, 11 protein. They're filling, not overly dry or too sweet, with no funky after taste. It's a good 'desk' item. Not something to do every day, but it works as a moderate 'filler' when I don't have time to get something else.

Most of the bars I've tried with more protein don't seem to like me too much. I can do one of these with a piece of fruit and coffee in the morning though, and be fine hunger wise if I didn't have time to make breakfast.
  • CTK3989
    CTK3989 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I like Luna and Special K protein bars.

hroush, thanks for the recipe!