Blame it on the ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, alcohol

Options

Replies

• JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Vodka n diet w/e. cheap n low calorie compared to most drinks :) Though if you're going out prob not cheaper... that's my go to drink though.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Harunan wrote: »
    gkirk2000 wrote: »
    Look up metabolites of aspartame and tell me it isn't poison.

Read some peer-reviewed studies and tell me it is.

You asked:

http://www.mpwhi.com/peer_reviewed_research.htm

The most studied food additive ever and you can cherry pick a dozen or so studies from a FUD site? Wow, you're good.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    fenderman9 wrote: »
    Aspartame is similar to M.S.G. and is a glutamate. It builds up in the brain over time. That is why Sucralose became the new standard. Unfortunately Sucralose is made by chlorinating a sugar mollicule. That is how some pesticides are formed. The answer to that was using Stevia ( a plant extract) which seems to have no negative health concerns. However, from what I have tried it doesn't taste quite the same. I personally hate the way aspartame tastes. I have recently seen yogurt and Pepsi with Stevia in it. If you want a good dose of artificial sweeteners try Pepsi-One which at one time had Aspartame, acesulfame potassium and Sucralose in it. Artificial sweeteners are cheaper than real sugar and increase your thirst.

Or maybe it's just because aspartame tastes like liquid ballsac.

Is that assessment based on experience? An actual comparison?

Man, I gotta start screening my posts before submitting... ouch :blush:

We all do it but it's funnier when it's someone else. ;)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is similar to M.S.G. and is a glutamate. It builds up in the brain over time. That is why Sucralose became the new standard. Unfortunately Sucralose is made by chlorinating a sugar mollicule. That is how some pesticides are formed. The answer to that was using Stevia ( a plant extract) which seems to have no negative health concerns. However, from what I have tried it doesn't taste quite the same. I personally hate the way aspartame tastes. I have recently seen yogurt and Pepsi with Stevia in it. If you want a good dose of artificial sweeteners try Pepsi-One which at one time had Aspartame, acesulfame potassium and Sucralose in it. Artificial sweeteners are cheaper than real sugar and increase your thirst.

Man, I gotta start screening my posts before submitting... ouch :blush:
    :p
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    SusanL222 wrote: »
    I skipped right over all the replies, so don't know if someone has already mentioned kombucha, but probably not! lol! It is fizzy, very low cal, has some beneficial properties, tastes good (can be an acquired taste for some), comes in a variety of flavors and some brands have small amounts of alcohol. However, you probably will have to bring it with you when you go out! Try GTs Gingerade.....it rocks! ....and if you like it you can start fermenting your own!!

Yeah, It would not been enough of a buzz for me in my twenties. Now that I am long in the tooth and rarely drink I feel the buzz. The gingerade is my fave as well.

• socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    One night a week I have one or two drinks for no more than 300 calories total. More than that and I couldn't really say I'm trying to lose weight - I'd only be kidding myself. I eat back my exercise calories on those drink days to stay within my limit.
  • kbeloved
    kbeloved Posts: 67 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I drink...probably more often than I should but oh well. First off, if you're going to drink make sure you drink a lot of water the day of your alcohol binging/outing. & Be sure to drink water throughout the night in between drinks, this will prevent hangovers and allow you to go to the gym the next day. I always try to go to the gym the next day and sweat out the toxins and also hit the sauna.

I love cocktails, and my go-to drink is a Kamikaze (triple sec, vodka & sweetened lime juice) depending on how much volume the drink is it can be anywhere from 100-250 calories. I also "budget" my calories for these days and try to make sure to be active during the night, i.e. walking around or dancing to compensate.

Unfortunately I've found that even if I've stayed in my calorie budget and had more than 4-5 drinks I will retain water weight for up to 2-3 weeks after a big binging night, which I don't do all that often anymore...but it happens. Alcohol is tricky with weight loss and I have decided to cut back A LOT because it's been messing with my weight loss and I realized I don't need to drink all the time in order to enjoy social situations.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Oh come on, any of us who went to college have experimented...
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

But, did you log it?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

But, did you log it?

Well.. he could.. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/update_servings/86746016
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

But, did you log it?

Well.. he could.. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/update_servings/86746016

But does it really HAVE to be a sweaty one? I don't mind the salty, but that extra juice just turns me off.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I did not log the last time I had a mouth full of testicles. They were nicely fried in panko and tasted like fried chicken skin though.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Hey, when that's all there is available to log you gotta improvise.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

So OP, the one thing i did when i was in my best shape-and refused to give up alcohol-i made alcohol days my "cheat" days. That's it, going over my allowance only when i drink, never for pizza or cake or some other stuff. Sure you can pick lower calorie options, but you will be consuming at least 500 extra calories, if you are out all night. Stressing over every calorie can take out the fun so if you still want your night outs, just make sure you don't go over your calorie limit on other days.
    Again, that was when i was in my best shape and i had abs and stuff. Now i have more food cheat days and i also drink my alcohol too :/
  • crescentwire
    crescentwire Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    After reading through this entire thread almost twice ... I'll throw in my 2 cents. Now, please understand that I'm speaking only from my personal perspective, since that's really all I can offer anyway. Hopefully something in here helps you to sort through what your options are.

I never drank in college (in fact, swore it off because in part of my upbringing, and in how I observed others abusing it at that time in my life), so when the time came when I started tasting a beer here and there, it was like the lights and color in life suddenly burst into full array. I loved it. And I couldn't get enough of it. Over the years, I tried other kinds of alcohol, wine, you name it... I drank it. Most days I couldn't wait to get home to hear the clink of the glass and the feel the soft, warm fire sloshing down my throat, bring the world into muted clarity. Sound far-fetched? It's really not... and I'd wager lots of us on here know exactly what I'm talking about. At a certain point, I was so enraptured with the acquisition, consumption, and involvement of alcohol in my life that I began hiding how much I had really had from myself, my friends, and my wife -- indeed, even casually storing alcohol in places people weren't very likely to look (the garage). Looking back, though having moved through all of that, the regret, shame, and conviction I feel is profound.

Why am I bothering with all this back story? To frame how I've more recently seen alcohol as a (in large quantities, destructive) influence on my life, my personal relationships, and its effect on my ability to drop weight.

So ... fast forward a few years. I had topped out heavier than I ever had been in my life, and I wanted to start losing. Alcohol still sat on the glowing altar of praise in my life, though I had cut down considerably in comparison. When I first started trying to lose weight (and this was literally EVERY time) ... any time I drank alcohol during the week, even in moderate amounts (I don't mean light -- I mean moderate ... roughly 2-3 drinks a night, a few times a week), I would utterly sabotage any weight loss that week. Yes, I was drinking water beforehand and during. Yes, I logged all my food. Yes, I was conscious about the calories. It was something with the way my body processed it (perhaps after all those years of abuse?) that totally jacked my ability to lose weight that week. And it's truly like clockwork for me. Each time I've tried to include alcohol in my weight-loss routine for any certain week, I am literally choosing to not lose for that week.

I don't imagine this perfectly applies to you, or even anyone on here. But in my personal experience, it's not worth the (1) empty calories, (2) tendency to overindulge in really garbage-y food once your inhibitions are shot, or (3) wickedly dehydrated state your body enters. Alcohol is a poison -- don't forget that. Your liver works really hard to get it out of your blood, and that process takes a toll. Also don't forget that your body will break down alcohol WAY before it breaks down any excess fat you're carrying around. For me, it just doesn't make sense.

When I enter maintenance mode (hopefully soon, in a matter of a few more pounds), I imagine I'll reconsider what, and how much, of a role it plays. But having gone without it for so long, I'm at the right place for where it fits in my life -- both as a way to continue my weight loss, and to reflect on it very seriously in the damaging role it's had in my life.

Thanks for reading the dissertation. Hope this (somehow) helps you, or someone reading it now or in the future.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    ^Thank you.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming I simply missed someone linking this resource to help the OP moderate her calories from alcohol, without lecturing her on the behavior itself:

http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • xero2099
    xero2099 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    if you had a bad day calorie wise just move on and get back on track. I only drink on Saturdays, and I try to leave myself spare calories during the week to offset what I do
  • LadyGrey75
    LadyGrey75 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have been where you are and got a lot of flack because I said I refused to stop drinking. I apologize to all of those that don't approve but I love to drink at times and I am not gonna stop because even while trying to loose weight I still want to be me. I am not an alcoholic and I have dramatically cut my drinking habits. I do get drunk a lot faster now that I have cut back and lost some weight so that does help. When I do drink in a bar I ask for whatever liquor in "a tall glass" with diet soda. You get the same amount of liquor but in more soda so it lasts a little longer. I also drink Miller Light now...not a great beer but you get use to it. This has helped me a lot. You do not have to stop being you to loose weight and if you sacrafice everything the chances of you throwing in the towel is far greater than if you allow yourself a little wiggle room.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds while still imbibing bourbon and diet 7-UP. Just count the calories and figure them in.