Potatoes, rice, bread and all that stuff

Options

Replies

• lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    Options
    At best, it's a simplified guideline for people who don't want to properly track their macros. By following it, people should get a somewhat balanced meal.

But eat whatever you want that fits within your goals. I don't eat starches that much but would totally sit down to a bowl full of potatoes if I had the carbs available.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    yes, propaganda….you can eat as many carbs as you want, unless you have some kind of medical condition that makes you sensitive to them. overeating = weight gain, not over eating carbs….

so eat all the carbs you want, just fit them into your calorie and macro targets and you will be fine.

1056.gif

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    jeansuza wrote: »
    Question: Health-wise, if you eat enough proteins, lots of veggies and fruits, some milk or yogurt, do you really need to eat rice, potatoes or bread at every meal? I use to hear that they should be 1/4 of your plate, but is this just propaganda?

I think you can eat them if you want. These days I believe they are saying that the amount of grains you should eat- if you eat grains- depends on your age, gender and physical activity level. I don't think they are saying the 1/4 plate thing at all anymore.
    If you don't like rice, potatoes or bread you can skip them and you will most likely be perfectly healthy if you are getting enough nutrients, fiber and calories from other foods.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    it's not necessary to have carbs at every meal. I eat them, but I usually try to eat them earlier in the day along with my fruit. once or twice a week I will have them for dinner. But if you're going to have them, brown rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown bread - never ever ever ever white anything! It's crap.

Have you ever actually looked at the differences in nutritional content of white rice vs brown...or a white potato vs. sweet potato, etc? The differences are pretty immaterial. I personally prefer brown rice to white rice myself...but as nutrition goes, there's not a ton of difference here.

OP...eat grains and starches if you want to...or don't...it really makes no difference.

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Need? Especially at every meal? Nope! Not if you're getting all your nutrients elsewhere. But you can, if you can handle them appetite-wise. Too many high-carb items make me SERIOUSLY hungry and I wind up face-planted in the bottom of a bowl of Doritos, so personally I can't...but if I could handle them, trust me, I'd be eating them with every meal - I love potatoes and rice! Yum.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Question: Health-wise, if you eat enough proteins, lots of veggies and fruits, some milk or yogurt, do you really need to eat rice, potatoes or bread at every meal? I use to hear that they should be 1/4 of your plate, but is this just propaganda?
    You never "need" to eat starchy carbs. You can. But you never "need to". You certainly never "need" to eat refined grains (store bought bread, pastas etc).
    I eat bread *maybe* once a week, if that, and when I do it's 100% whole grain. I eat some brown rice (+- 1 cup a week?). I eat a sweet potato once a month or so. I eat 100% whole grain pasta once every few weeks or so.
    I get plenty of carbs from fruits, veggies and dairy.

I do
    You "need" to? ok.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    it's not necessary to have carbs at every meal. I eat them, but I usually try to eat them earlier in the day along with my fruit. once or twice a week I will have them for dinner. But if you're going to have them, brown rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown bread - never ever ever ever white anything! It's crap.

Have you ever actually looked at the differences in nutritional content of white rice vs brown...or a white potato vs. sweet potato, etc? The differences are pretty immaterial. I personally prefer brown rice to white rice myself...but as nutrition goes, there's not a ton of difference here.

OP...eat grains and starches if you want to...or don't...it really makes no difference.

It's true. one potato versus one sweet potato: very little difference. I like to think of the whole lifestyle. Sweet fits into mine better. As does brown rice, as do 100%whole grain breads and pastas. Little changes leading to big rewards. A few fibers here, a few more nutrients there... but if you really dislike brown, or really prefer white, eat that.
    And yes: eat the grains and starches if you want. There's no real need to.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You never "need" to eat starchy carbs. You can. But you never "need to". You certainly never "need" to eat refined grains (store bought bread, pastas etc).
    I eat bread *maybe* once a week, if that, and when I do it's 100% whole grain. I eat some brown rice (+- 1 cup a week?). I eat a sweet potato once a month or so. I eat 100% whole grain pasta once every few weeks or so.

I do
    You "need" to? ok.

For performance purposes, yes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options

I do
    You "need" to? ok.

if you say so. I've seen some great stuff from low carbers, and lots from folks who don't eat grains at all. But sure, if you do for your intense exercise or body building or whatever, ok. I'll let you judge how you perform best.
    Does the OP need to for "health" as she asked? NO, probably not.
    Do I or most of us "need to" for health? nope.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    do you really need to eat rice, potatoes or bread at every meal? I use to hear that they should be 1/4 of your plate, but is this just propaganda?

I've never heard anyone say you had to eat them at every meal. They are largely calories to make sure people get enough, although many also find them tasty and filling. (I am quite pro potato, personally, especially roasted. Sweet potatoes are also nice.)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

I do
    You "need" to? ok.

if you say so. I've seen some great stuff from low carbers, and lots from folks who don't eat grains at all. But sure, if you do for your intense exercise or body building or whatever, ok.
    Does the OP? probably not.

That's why I said, "I do" and not "OP does". The material out there comparing low carb diets of athletes to those which consume carbohydrate rich diets is weighted heavily in favor of the latter.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    never ever ever ever white anything! It's crap.

So dairy, cauliflower, eggs (well, but for the yolk), celeriac, turnips, all bad? Hmm.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Not every meal has to be perfectly balanced. Over the course of a day or week, take a look and see if you are balanced or not.

I love the My Plate thing. I think it's the best guide we've had in my lifetime. They break it all down nicely and make it easy to follow, if you want to follow it. But every meal doesn't have to be perfect. Of course not!

You don't need to eat any "white" carbs at all. You can totally skip potatos, if you want. Or you can eat them. It's up to you. You're a grown up and can eat what you please. The My Plate encourages whole grains over white carbs. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I do
    You "need" to? ok.

if you say so. I've seen some great stuff from low carbers, and lots from folks who don't eat grains at all. But sure, if you do for your intense exercise or body building or whatever, ok.
    Does the OP? probably not.

That's why I said, "I do" and not "OP does". The material out there comparing low carb diets of athletes to those which consume carbohydrate rich diets is weighted heavily in favor of the latter.
    Yup. I understood you. And I clarified.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    never ever ever ever white anything! It's crap.

So dairy, cauliflower, eggs (well, but for the yolk), celeriac, turnips, all bad? Hmm.
    Do ya think that's what she meant? I'm betting no.....
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    There's no real need to eat grains at all, unless you like them. I eat them sometimes, but they do seem to be overpromoted by MyPlate and the pyramid back in the day.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

No. Don't spread misinformation.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It kind of depends on the person, as best I can tell. Some people seem to need more carbs than others. You sort of have to experiment with your food types to see whether you need them or not.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »

Can you please explain what makes white rice, white bread or regular potatoes crap? Be specific.

food racism

OT but I know someone who believed that people who chose to eat white meat or white rice did so because of racism, or else they would choose to eat the tastier (to her) foods.