New in the Weight Section

Options
So I'm almost totally through reading NROLFW, and I'm really excited to be able to start the workout plan. But I also don't want to make a complete fool of myself. With my luck, I'll get in the squat rack and not be able to lift the bar from the rack or end up accidentally hitting someone with something.

Any suggestions on how to look like you know what you're doing when you have no idea what you're doing?

Replies

• chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    From what i've seen the other users will be too busy grunting and taking selfies in the mirror to spot you. LOL

Just go in with your head held high knowing what it is you have on your plan and go for it. IF you are worried about being seen struggling with the actual weights then do the first session with nice light ones just to help you get it in your head how the workout looks, then next time you can go in and start the 300kg deadlifts!! ;)
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how glad I was to invest in a personal trainer, who could walk me through EXACTLY what I needed--form, initial weight (he assessed my one-rep max, and went from there), and various routines. He pushes me WAY harder than I would ever push myself (me: hey, 5 squats, legs are shaking, heck, that's enough for me! versus him: "nope, you aren't done yet--four more sets!"), but most importantly he's right there to guide me to the proper form.

Even if it's just one session you pay for to get personal attention from a trainer, it's well worth it to make sure your form is spot-on. There is absolutely no way I would ever have been able to get the correct form for all of my lifts without a pro walking me through it.

And, in the three or so weeks I've been going, we've never done the same routine twice. Push day, pull day, and leg day per week, yes, but each push day has been different, etc. Some consistency, like squats and deadlift, but different accessory lifts all the time. It's been great, because I'd have never been able to put all that together in a package.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    If you never lifted before start with dumbbells. Get form down and increase weight every time you lift. Just go in there and do your thing. No one will look at you , and if they do, so what... you are there for you and not for them.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I was really scared to start but I just made myself do it one day. The only thing that helped was going in with a plan so I knew what I wanted to do. I was still scared but I knew I had to just go and start.

I've done dumb stuff since then and now can't care less. For instance, just today, i loaded a 35 plate thinking it was a 25 plate on one side of the barbell and it look a few minutes for me to figure why i was unbalanced. I reracked thinking that I had a bad bar position. Then I finally thought to check my plates. I just laughed at myself. No one was watching but I wouldn't have felt bad even if someone was.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I was in your position not too long ago, and this is what helped me:

1) have a plan. New Rules gives you that plan, so write it down and take it with you.

2) watch youtube videos showing you proper form for all the exercises you plan to do. Watch them until you feel confident that you can at least look like you're not a first timer.
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help, guys! It looks like a lot of it is just sucking it up XD And @Carlydogs I will definitely look into that. My gym actually has a free hour long session with a trainer every month, but because I've just been doing machines and cardio, I haven't used it. I will now!
  • chunkytfg
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Think yourself lucky my trainer has me doing these bunny hop things across the gym. they look ridiculous,feel even worse and tbh I think he makes me do them for a laugh and not for any real purpose!!! haha

I would much rather be wandering round the weights section not really knowing what to do
  • fivethreeone
    Options

chunkytfg wrote: »
    Think yourself lucky my trainer has me doing these bunny hop things across the gym. they look ridiculous,feel even worse and tbh I think he makes me do them for a laugh and not for any real purpose!!! haha

I would much rather be wandering round the weights section not really knowing what to do

What's stopping you?
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    If I am unsure of a new exercise, I'll pantomime the movement with pretend weights adjusting my back or stance etc til I feel ready to perform it. I don't care who is watching. If they are entertained, they can always tip me on my way out.

The weight room is as much yours as anyone else after all.
  • chunkytfg
    Options

What's stopping you?

Nothing. I think you're missing my point. I was saying given the choice of wandering around not knowing what I was doing or the silly bunny hops things I would choose the wandering around. Yes I don't really know what i'm doing if I was to go to the gym for a weights session but tbh I don't feel the need for lifting. The last thing i need is extra muscle mass when my legs are already like tree trunks. My trainer does find it funny that I can do a 12 hour ironman but can't do a press up though! haha

• fivethreeone
    edited November 2014
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »

What's stopping you?

Nothing. I think you're missing my point. I was saying given the choice of wandering around not knowing what I was doing or the silly bunny hops things I would choose the wandering around. Yes I don't really know what i'm doing if I was to go to the gym for a weights session but tbh I don't feel the need for lifting. The last thing i need is extra muscle mass when my legs are already like tree trunks. My trainer does find it funny that I can do a 12 hour ironman but can't do a press up though! haha

Doing what suits your goals is important, but it's also important to note that lifting doesn't build appreciable muscle mass, necessarily. Plenty of people actually get smaller lifting.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    We've got a new fish, a new fish here! Everyone, look a new fish!

There yo go, you were pre-outed, so now you can be comfortable. Go forth and make your offering of sweat and pain.
  • chunkytfg
    Options
    Doing what suits your goals is important, but it's also important to note that lifting doesn't build appreciable muscle mass, necessarily. Plenty of people actually get smaller lifting.

I know but I trust my Trainer to do right by me so I do as i'm told. My focus is to be able to hold form better when exhausted from the 114.4miles i've covered before I even put my running shoes on along with a more efficient running technique. It's working i'm down a minute on my 10k PB and on a recent half marathon I as near as dammit equalled my PB on a course that should have been a lung and leg buster and far from a PB course