Squats...

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    high bar or low bar?

because high bar and low bar positioning is COMPLETELY different.

Also Cwolf has an excellent point- working front squats will vastly improve your over all squatting abilities by forcing you to do hold form- or you just fall over.

keep working on it- get a trainer to help- or post up a video for a form check- practice with a broomstick- or even help using a chair for stability.

Usually there are 2 distinct issues.
    Strength
    flexibility/mobility.

many times you aren't strong enough to hold it- OR you don't have the flexibility to GET to where you need to go- for many people new to lifting/training- it's a strong combination of BOTH.

As you get more active it starts to fall more into the mobility column than the "just not strong enough" column.
  • yellowsummer21
    Options
    Perhaps you have tight hamstrings and hip flexors. I used to be the same but i pushed through, by doing loads of stretching and foam rolling and am pain free now. Also it could mean you are weak quads / hamstrings... Try doing wall squats with a folded up towel held with your knees, and build up your time from there and then when u get stronger move to bodyweight squats. Squats really are one of the best exercises so if you can nip this in the bud it would be beneficial.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    While they are good contrary to popular belief squats aren't the end all be all of exercises to build your posterior. Lunges are great -- walking lunges are great, lunges with the back foot on the bench.

There is probably no single better exercise you can do for overall strength and function, but to this poster's comments; I will say that not everybody should do squats right out of the gate. It sounds like you have some flexibility issues and possibly a lack of hamstring, glute, and core development. With that being said, it might not be appropriate for you to jump right into squats and you might want to spend four weeks to strengthen the areas I just mentioned.

It's not possible for me to give you a really sound recommendation without seeing you squat. Generally speaking...

- Before lifting: Foam Rolling and Active stretching of hip flexors, hamstrings, calves and latissimus, adductors
    - After lifting & Non-Lifting days: Static stretching (30-sec minimum hold) on the same areas mentioned above
    - For four weeks try something like...
    *4/2/1 tempo = (4-sec eccentric / 2-sec hold / 1-sec concentric)
    *YouTube if you're not familiar with an exercise*

*balance & core (1-3 sets, 8-12 reps 4/2/1 tempo *except for planks, no rest between exercises, 90sec's after all 4)
    a. single-leg romanian deadlift (body-weight only)
    b. glute bridge
    c. front planks (30-sec holds)
    d. side planks (30-sec holds)

*strength & stabilization (12-20 reps / 4/2/1 tempo, no rest between exercises, 30-90 sec rest after all 4)
    a. Reverse Lunges with Front Balance: do a reverse lunge and when you come back up, bring the alternate leg up in-front of you and hold for 2-sec's.
    b. Side-step up with Balance
    c. DB bench on stability ball
    d. DB row on stability ball
    **If you want to do some bicep curls, lat raises or something that's fine to add, just follow the above parameters.

Again, this is very generalized because I can't actually see what's going on with you. I'm sure your squat form is part of the issue but also based on what you're saying I would say that it extends beyond form in that your prime movers aren't being activated correctly due to either flexibility and / or lack of strength which is causing your knee extensors to do more than they're supposed to in the squat.

edit: If you're able to, then post a video of...
    1. Overhead squat (bodyweight only) - front & side view
    2. Single-leg squat (bodyweight only) - front & side view

• TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Do you use the squat machine in the gym? I find that has helped me with my form. Also maybe try wall squats with a yoga ball, might help?
  • walleyetracker
    walleyetracker Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When you are lifting, are you on your toes or heels. You should be able to wiggle your toes while squatting. That alone will put the center of gravity more to the rear and takes pressure off your knees. Never squat with most of your weight on your toes. Also ensure that your stance is at least slightly wider then your sholders with your toes pointig outward a bit. Also make sure you squat deep enough (hip should go slightly below your knees when all the way down) By squatting shallow you will be over stressing your quads and knees and not work the glutes and hams. Remember this is one of the most effective compound moves you can do as it activates all your major muscless in your body. If you are still unable to do this then try a wider stance. Wider stance will transfer more of the work on the inside part of your quads and hams thus reducing stress from your knees.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    @not_satisfied I feel it in my knees and quads mostly. I have in the past tried looking up at the ceiling and that helps a bit. Body weight squats I find even worse @JenAndSome for leaning forward. I guess I could hold a broom or something until I get my form down.

I've also tried squatting TOWARDS a wall as dumb as that sounds... therefore if I lean forward my head would hit the wall LOL.

This is because of lack of mobility. one of our warmups for squats is get right up to a wall with arms up and squat without touching the wall. At first you will have to limit the depth but it will get better as your mobility improves.

One of the better stretches for hip mobility (at least for me) is the gentleman's stretch. you essentially get your butt right up to a wall, then flip up and put your feet on it like you are sitting, then cross one leg over the other. You will feel hamstrings, hips, lower back loosening up pretty substantially. Hold it for a minute, switch legs, and repeat one or two more times.

MobilityWOD is my favorite single site for mobility. These moves will hurt (not just be uncomfortable but HURT) when you first start them but your mobility will increase dramatically.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/?s=hip+mobility

• ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Yup, the walking or weighted lunges are good. We did those this morning and I could really feel them where you are supposed to! ;)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    We did barbell lunges Monday and my butt is still a little sore :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    We did barbell lunges Monday and my butt is still a little sore :)
    Yesterday was walking lunges as a rest period between leg sets. Meh. Take a knee takes on a new meaning.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    man I must be missing something- I mean - I'm really gassed doing lunges- but I'm never knock down drag out tired doing them.

herm- must do more weight me thinks.
  • dbmata
    Options
    do them as a rest between sets of 100 leg extensions @ 120#
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'm not doing anything with anything that involves the word's 100 reps LMAO
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I would.
  • dbmata
    Options
    lol. These ol legs feel like immovable lumps of meat today. heh.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

I would.

you and DB can hang out and wallow in your cardio weight lifting misery together then!
  • dbmata
    Options
    hah, it's not just cardio, I did just hit a new squat PR. ;)