Blame it on the ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, alcohol

Options
12345679»

Replies

• hippo421
    hippo421 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When I am being careful, I usually drink vodka on the rocks with a bunch of limes and a splash of seltzer water. I don't know that it is very low cal, but it tastes okay and has no additional sugar and it hits you hard.
  • hippo421
    hippo421 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add that when I am trying to lose weight, I refrain from drinking as much as I can. If I am going out with friends and have a few drinks, I am usually dancing, standing or moving around so I don't worry about the calories too much.. but that night and the next morning, my appetite is raging which sets me back!
  • beavislong
    beavislong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    After reading through this entire thread almost twice ... I'll throw in my 2 cents. Now, please understand that I'm speaking only from my personal perspective, since that's really all I can offer anyway. Hopefully something in here helps you to sort through what your options are.

I never drank in college (in fact, swore it off because in part of my upbringing, and in how I observed others abusing it at that time in my life), so when the time came when I started tasting a beer here and there, it was like the lights and color in life suddenly burst into full array. I loved it. And I couldn't get enough of it. Over the years, I tried other kinds of alcohol, wine, you name it... I drank it. Most days I couldn't wait to get home to hear the clink of the glass and the feel the soft, warm fire sloshing down my throat, bring the world into muted clarity. Sound far-fetched? It's really not... and I'd wager lots of us on here know exactly what I'm talking about. At a certain point, I was so enraptured with the acquisition, consumption, and involvement of alcohol in my life that I began hiding how much I had really had from myself, my friends, and my wife -- indeed, even casually storing alcohol in places people weren't very likely to look (the garage). Looking back, though having moved through all of that, the regret, shame, and conviction I feel is profound.

Why am I bothering with all this back story? To frame how I've more recently seen alcohol as a (in large quantities, destructive) influence on my life, my personal relationships, and its effect on my ability to drop weight.

So ... fast forward a few years. I had topped out heavier than I ever had been in my life, and I wanted to start losing. Alcohol still sat on the glowing altar of praise in my life, though I had cut down considerably in comparison. When I first started trying to lose weight (and this was literally EVERY time) ... any time I drank alcohol during the week, even in moderate amounts (I don't mean light -- I mean moderate ... roughly 2-3 drinks a night, a few times a week), I would utterly sabotage any weight loss that week. Yes, I was drinking water beforehand and during. Yes, I logged all my food. Yes, I was conscious about the calories. It was something with the way my body processed it (perhaps after all those years of abuse?) that totally jacked my ability to lose weight that week. And it's truly like clockwork for me. Each time I've tried to include alcohol in my weight-loss routine for any certain week, I am literally choosing to not lose for that week.

I don't imagine this perfectly applies to you, or even anyone on here. But in my personal experience, it's not worth the (1) empty calories, (2) tendency to overindulge in really garbage-y food once your inhibitions are shot, or (3) wickedly dehydrated state your body enters. Alcohol is a poison -- don't forget that. Your liver works really hard to get it out of your blood, and that process takes a toll. Also don't forget that your body will break down alcohol WAY before it breaks down any excess fat you're carrying around. For me, it just doesn't make sense.

When I enter maintenance mode (hopefully soon, in a matter of a few more pounds), I imagine I'll reconsider what, and how much, of a role it plays. But having gone without it for so long, I'm at the right place for where it fits in my life -- both as a way to continue my weight loss, and to reflect on it very seriously in the damaging role it's had in my life.

Thanks for reading the dissertation. Hope this (somehow) helps you, or someone reading it now or in the future.

This. Truth.

• Mistapholeezkat
    Mistapholeezkat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    vodka and tonic (diet tonic at home or if available in public) is my choice
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If you drink once every 2 weeks and plan to continue doing so, cut 100 calories daily for the other 13 days.

Drink 1300 calories.

Congratulations, you have just broken even.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is toxic to my desire to lose weight. I cannot drink and lose. So if I save drinking to once or twice a week - then I MAY lose if I am perfect the rest of the week with my food. I imagine if I didn't drink for a month I would lose quite a bit. Interesting thought...alcohol calories for me are not like other calories...
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Jesyka_Gee wrote: »
    Here's what I do. Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but when I'm out with friends and we are grabbing drinks, either stick to light beer or if you want the hard stuff go for a Vodka Tonic or Gin & Tonic. Tonic is a form of water, which will help with hydration throughout the night and a minimal hang over. This always works for me. My go-to drink is either Grey Goose and Tonic with a few lime wedges or Kettle and Tonic the same way. Hope it works out for you! :)

Tonic has lots o sugar. And ~10 cal/oz. Do you mean soda?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    in for later read
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm really disappointed in myself that I didn't make a "Blame It On The Rain" joke in my answer to the OP.

::hangs head::

OP is too young to get the joke, probably many of the people here as well... I will get it though - so go ahead, it's not too late!

The revelation that Milli Vanilli were lip syncing was one of the defining moments of my high school years.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I'm really disappointed in myself that I didn't make a "Blame It On The Rain" joke in my answer to the OP.

OP is too young to get the joke, probably many of the people here as well... I will get it though - so go ahead, it's not too late!

The revelation that Milli Vanilli were lip syncing was one of the defining moments of my high school years.

Were you REALLY surprised?

I wasn't.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Just don't tell me the hair was fake too. :cry:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Were you REALLY surprised?

I wasn't.

I was a 15 year old newly pubescent girl. Everything was a surprise back then.

• seththealmighty
    seththealmighty Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I often include a wheat beer with breakfast if I'm feeling worn out after cardio. Old tradition I always did after social runs like half marathons and stuff. Have plenty of room in my day for more beers if I wanted, but I try to refrain.

If you look at my beer collection, you might think I'm a Total Wine wholesaler. Two cabinets full and 2 crates stacked on top of the fridge. :lol:
  • nomas616
    nomas616 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »
    If you drink once every 2 weeks and plan to continue doing so, cut 100 calories daily for the other 13 days.

Drink 1300 calories.

Congratulations, you have just broken even.

Oh This is Magic. Thank you.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options

1) No "binge" nights. You can't consume 3000+ calories in a night and expect to get lean, period.

I don't necessarily agree with this one. I'm lean (16% BF according to my last BodPod), and a 3000 calorie night/week, sometimes 2x/week has been part of my life for a while. I don't normally fall back on the mantra of, "it's all about balance", but in this case it is. It's definitely easy to wipe out any deficit you created during the week doing this, but it can be done. Probably not recommended, and I'm definitely working to avoid it (mostly because of the hangover), but it is possible. All depends on what you burn and what you consume. Generally, I like to bank calories for the weekends so I can go out and be social and not worry about it.

OP, almost all hard alcohols are ~70 calories/ounce, including many flavored vodkas/rums, etc., which puts a standard pour at about 100-110 calories. Most wines are about 20-30 calories/ounce. Beer is one that always tips the scales on alcohol calories because one pint can easily be 200 calories.

Although I love craft cocktails, they tend to be higher too. So if you really want to save calories stick to things mixed with club soda or diet soda. Flavored vodkas and club soda with a lime tend to be pretty good in a pinch. I'm a fan of the Old Fashion which is just whiskey, a sugar cube, some water, and some bitters.

• husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Jesyka_Gee wrote: »
    Here's what I do. Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but when I'm out with friends and we are grabbing drinks, either stick to light beer or if you want the hard stuff go for a Vodka Tonic or Gin & Tonic. Tonic is a form of water, which will help with hydration throughout the night and a minimal hang over. This always works for me. My go-to drink is either Grey Goose and Tonic with a few lime wedges or Kettle and Tonic the same way. Hope it works out for you! :)

Careful. Tonic has quite a few calories: 124 calories in 12 ounces, which is pretty much the same as regular soda. If you mean club soda, then yes, it's just carbonated water.