What do you do when all else fails??

Options
After trying many programs, mostly VLC diets, I finally went for professional help at the end of August and was put on a program that consisted of a controlled 5 meal a day plan. Total caloric intake for each day was between 1600-1800 calories. After one, truly faithful, month I went for my follow up visit and was totally shocked that I did not lose a pound. The program was then modified by exchanging some carbs for others and eliminating carbs at the last meal every other day. Three weeks later still no loss.

I am a 295lb construction worker with an extremely active job. Since then, I have reduced my calories even further on my own and I am going on several weeks now and I do not feel any better.

What am I missing???

According to some I am not eating enough, according to others calories in need to be less than calories out. Online calculators put my bmr at 3200-4000 calories per day.
I really don't know what to believe anymore.

I am totally confused.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    1600-1800 is WAY too low for an active construction worker of either sex and any height. Still, you should have seen some sort of loss. Post your full stats.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Have you ruled out any medical conditions?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking in the diary? If you want specific help please open your diary.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    vcinri wrote: »
    After trying many programs, mostly VLC diets, I finally went for professional help at the end of August and was put on a program that consisted of a controlled 5 meal a day plan. Total caloric intake for each day was between 1600-1800 calories. After one, truly faithful, month I went for my follow up visit and was totally shocked that I did not lose a pound. The program was then modified by exchanging some carbs for others and eliminating carbs at the last meal every other day. Three weeks later still no loss.

I am a 295lb construction worker with an extremely active job. Since then, I have reduced my calories even further on my own and I am going on several weeks now and I do not feel any better.

What am I missing???

According to some I am not eating enough, according to others calories in need to be less than calories out. Online calculators put my bmr at 3200-4000 calories per day.
    I really don't know what to believe anymore.

I am totally confused.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I bolded some things that bothered me. Can you elaborate on the bolded parts? Was the professional a dietician or someone selling stuff like Jenny Craig meals? How long were you doing VLC dieting before you sought "professional help" and how few calories are you eating now?

I always think about those people on the TV show Survivor when the forums tell people they need to eat more to lose weight. I mean those people eat a couple cups of rice a day for a month and come off that show skinny. They certainly didn't need to eat more to lose weight, instead they lose weight because they don't get enough to eat.

I don't have any sound advice for you because I can't imagine that you wouldn't lose weight if you were eating as few calories as you claim. Not doubting, just saying.

Is there any possible way you are miscalculating your calorie intake?

55835802.png

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Well, your BMR isn't 4000, but you should be able to lose weight at 1600 calories. It is likely that you are eating more than you think you are.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    You're eating too little amount of calories. Instead of lowering your calories, at least stick to what the professional gave you (which might still be too low) but you have give your body time to adjust to the new, higher amount of calories. This is why you didn't lose weight YET!! You have accustomed your body to low calorie diets. Be patient, you didn't gain all your weight overnight, you won't lose your weight overnight either. Go back to the 1800 and wait, it'll happen.

Read this page so you can understand why lowering your calories isn't the way to go.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3817-eat-more-2-weigh-less
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Was this professional an actual doctor? Did you see a real dietician?

If you haven't seen those, try that. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    You're eating too little amount of calories.

Eating "too little" calories results in rapid weight loss. Since weight loss is not happening, the OP is not eating "too little amount".

The problem lies elsewhere.

• socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Try reading some of these posts:

Getting Started

Setting your calorie and macro targets

Logging Accurately

You're probably eating more than you think

5 unusual reasons you're not losing weight

And be patient - keep making adjustments and try some more. It takes time.

• 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    you need to cut soda, sugar, and beer quantities. that usually does the trick for men.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Eating "too little" calories results in rapid weight loss. Since weight loss is not happening, the OP is not eating "too little amount".

Yes because he's not feeding the body enough nutrients. So his body is holding on to whatever he is giving right now. He's super active and he's eating less than BMR. Think about it, the more active you are, the higher the TDEE, right? And yet he's lowering the amount below what his body needs to live. A person is not supposed to eat below BMR.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Yes because he's not feeding the body enough nutrients. So his body is holding on to whatever he is giving right now.

No, it's not.
    He's super active and he's eating less than BMR.

No, he's not.

Do we really need to post pictures of concentration camp victims again to demonstrate what "not feeding the body enough nutrients" actually looks like?
  • vcinri
    vcinri Posts: 9
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The person I consulted with is a certified Dietician.
    This is a typical day;

6:00 am One whole egg, 3 whites, 1 sl. Ezekiel sesame toast
    Dietician plan had 2 Sl.

9:00 am One Quest protein bar, various flavors.

12:00 pm. 1 Joseph's Lavash wrap, home made tuna or chicken salad, (4oz average)
    minimum amount of real mayo. lettuce , tomato.

3:00 pm nothing most of the time.
    Dietician plan had 17-21 almonds and one small fruit.

5:30 pm. 6 oz, lean protein, (chicken or beef) 2/3 cup of carb, either wild rice, potatoes, sweet
    or white. garden salad, oil/vinegar dressing.

Nothing after.

If I am now eating below my bmr would my body react by gaining on a calorie
    increase? If so, would it be short term?

I did a complete endocrine in 2011 and all was normal. Including MRI of my Pituitary
    and Thyroid.

Thanks to all for your help. It is greatly appreciated.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    you need to cut soda, sugar, and beer quantities. that usually does the trick for men.

NO
    OP, can you open your diary? Are you weighing and measuring your food? 2011 is almost 4 years ago and things can change. Something isn't adding up here.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Well, your BMR isn't 4000, but you should be able to lose weight at 1600 calories. It is likely that you are eating more than you think you are.

This

Are you weighing and measuring everything?
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    vcinri wrote: »
    The person I consulted with is a certified Dietician.
    This is a typical day;

6:00 am One whole egg, 3 whites, 1 sl. Ezekiel sesame toast
    Dietician plan had 2 Sl.

9:00 am One Quest protein bar, various flavors.

12:00 pm. 1 Joseph's Lavash wrap, home made tuna or chicken salad, (4oz average)
    minimum amount of real mayo. lettuce , tomato.

3:00 pm nothing most of the time.
    Dietician plan had 17-21 almonds and one small fruit.

5:30 pm. 6 oz, lean protein, (chicken or beef) 2/3 cup of carb, either wild rice, potatoes, sweet
    or white. garden salad, oil/vinegar dressing.

Nothing after.

If I am now eating below my bmr would my body react by gaining on a calorie
    increase? If so, would it be short term?

I did a complete endocrine in 2011 and all was normal. Including MRI of my Pituitary
    and Thyroid.

Thanks to all for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Wow. I'm flummoxed. Aren't you starving all the time?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I would really suggest trying more food and see if that helps. If you are as active as you say, try perhaps 2200-2400/day. You shouldn't be gaining on eating so little, but for some people it does seem to make it quite hard to lose. If you want to go the other direction (cutting further), that needs to be done with your dietitian/doctor supervised to monitor your health while following a very low calorie diet.
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    i think staying under 2000 but over 1600 would be optimal depending on your height if you are over 5'11" i would stay close to 2000. and even though you are a construction worker there is a difference between labor you do at work and exercise. i would try to add in some cardio/strength training in your life. the starvation mode is not applicable, it only comes into effect when you basically have no body fat left, like really starving. so if you really are eating a deficit and dont have any thyroid issues you should be loosing. also limit your stress excess cortisol can have weight gain effects.
  • tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking all your beverages? It doesn't look like you drink anything.