The YoYo: Weight Loss Weight Gain... Weight Loss

Options
Who has/is been on this ride.

Replies

• Lady_Sugarcookie
    Lady_Sugarcookie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I began losing in 2008. Became pregnate in 2009. Gained what i had lost plus more. Began losing again in 2010. I did well until this year when i got married in May when i got up 190lbs. I'm now down to 175 and struggling
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I have tried many diets in the past, and I believe the reason I have either not stuck with them, or if I have and lost significant weight is that they are far too restrictive. Yes I lose weight fast, but then I can't stick with it because I miss eating what I really like. And then if I do stick with something longer as soon as I try to go back to eating regular I gain it back. It's taken me 10 years to finally realize that this is a long term change, weight loss is meant to be very gradual and I don't have to give up what I like. I still enjoy what I want and just watch portions and fit it into my calorie goals for the day. If I mess up and have a day where I go way over, I just get right back on the next day. I don't feel deprived at all. When I get to my goal I will just slowly increase my calories until I stop losing. Finally, most important is that I've found exercise that I love to do and will stick with. I'm not about the super intense workouts that make me feel like dying. I want to enjoy it and have fun with it while I'm doing it. I don't want to think of my exercise as something I "have" to do and get it done. I want to look forward to it and miss it when I can't do it.
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've been on this ride for about 7 years now. I've been on starvation diets, low carb diets, extreme exercise diets. I've dropped 50lbs then quit, 20lbs then quit, 100 lbs then quit. Problem was I wasn't making positive lifestyle changes and I was taking an all or nothing approach, giving up when I had a bad cheat day instead of getting back on track. I'm focusing more now on getting myself healthy and making changes I can live with. Never too late to break the vicious cycle.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I have always tend to maintain the same weight for a long time but I always get in trouble when I stop exercising .It all started when I was 17 and I was working at my first job which was delivering flyers door to door for 4 to 8 hours a day so it was a very active job. I lost allot of weight but then I gained it all back when I quit the job and became sedentary .

Then when I was 20 I decided to join the gym and within few months I lost weight again without changing my eating habits. I pretty much ate whatever and whenever I wanted but I was still able to maintain a slim figure as long as I stayed active. Then again i was younger so it was allot easier to lose weight

I maintained for several years until I started working over nights . I wasn't used to work nights so I was always tired even when I was off. I was sleeping all the time and I stopped exercising . I would also eat during the night at work and eat again when i get home in the morning and eat again before work. All i did was eat and sleep. Before i knew it the pounds started creeping up and my clothes got too tight for me to wear.

I lost it again when i went back to day shifts and the gym. That`s when i found out about mfp and i have now reached my goal weight. Now watching my weight and fitness is now a part of life style :)
  • dianetackwell
    dianetackwell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, Ive never been able to maintain a weight loss for too long, I can stop for a short period of time but can't stay stopped. Food seduces me when I least expect it. I am not sure I can lose weight on the amount MFP has for me but I am willing to try it.
  • LunaMischief
    LunaMischief Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Been yo-yoing for 4 years now, each time I lost the weight I gain it all back plus more! Stupid desk job >.> *grumble*

So here I am again.... ;)
  • CherryChan81
    CherryChan81 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    me... all my life... and now starting to lose control... :'(
  • Lady_Sugarcookie
    Options
    I have tried many diets in the past, and I believe the reason I have either not stuck with them, or if I have and lost significant weight is that they are far too restrictive. Yes I lose weight fast, but then I can't stick with it because I miss eating what I really like. And then if I do stick with something longer as soon as I try to go back to eating regular I gain it back. It's taken me 10 years to finally realize that this is a long term change, weight loss is meant to be very gradual and I don't have to give up what I like. I still enjoy what I want and just watch portions and fit it into my calorie goals for the day. If I mess up and have a day where I go way over, I just get right back on the next day. I don't feel deprived at all. When I get to my goal I will just slowly increase my calories until I stop losing. Finally, most important is that I've found exercise that I love to do and will stick with. I'm not about the super intense workouts that make me feel like dying. I want to enjoy it and have fun with it while I'm doing it. I don't want to think of my exercise as something I "have" to do and get it done. I want to look forward to it and miss it when I can't do it.

Thank you for sharing.. I know a lot of people are having a similar experience (my self included).
  • Lady_Sugarcookie
    Options
    Boccellin wrote: »
    I've been on this ride for about 7 years now. I've been on starvation diets, low carb diets, extreme exercise diets. I've dropped 50lbs then quit, 20lbs then quit, 100 lbs then quit. Problem was I wasn't making positive lifestyle changes and I was taking an all or nothing approach, giving up when I had a bad cheat day instead of getting back on track. I'm focusing more now on getting myself healthy and making changes I can live with. Never too late to break the vicious cycle.

I can relate to your story losing and feeling great then gaining. Food is such a big part of my life but we can break the "vicious cycle".
  • Lady_Sugarcookie
    Options
    Tanie98 wrote: »
    I have always tend to maintain the same weight for a long time but I always get in trouble when I stop exercising .It all started when I was 17 and I was working at my first job which was delivering flyers door to door for 4 to 8 hours a day so it was a very active job. I lost allot of weight but then I gained it all back when I quit the job and became sedentary .

Then when I was 20 I decided to join the gym and within few months I lost weight again without changing my eating habits. I pretty much ate whatever and whenever I wanted but I was still able to maintain a slim figure as long as I stayed active. Then again i was younger so it was allot easier to lose weight

I maintained for several years until I started working over nights . I wasn't used to work nights so I was always tired even when I was off. I was sleeping all the time and I stopped exercising . I would also eat during the night at work and eat again when i get home in the morning and eat again before work. All i did was eat and sleep. Before i knew it the pounds started creeping up and my clothes got too tight for me to wear.

I lost it again when i went back to day shifts and the gym. That`s when i found out about mfp and i have now reached my goal weight. Now watching my weight and fitness is now a part of life style :)

Great story you seem to know your body well and what works best for you and that is so important!! The life style change is where its at F- you YoYo!!
  • Lady_Sugarcookie
    Options
    Hi everyone, Ive never been able to maintain a weight loss for too long, I can stop for a short period of time but can't stay stopped. Food seduces me when I least expect it. I am not sure I can lose weight on the amount MFP has for me but I am willing to try it.

The calories for that are given by MFP is a suggestion.... you dont have to strictly adhere to it set your self up for success!! If its to low you can change it in the settings. also look for low calorie foods. Cucumbers, pickle, and celery are low in calories (pickles do have a lot of salt tho) try those for snack time.
  • Lady_Sugarcookie
    Options
    me... all my life... and now starting to lose control... :'(

If you are being to strict on your self this could happen. I have been doing better but last night i had that feeling. 1cup of rice cereal and 1/2 cup marshmallows (176 calories) with my dinner last night got me through it. Be strong have a treat and then get back to work!!
  • Lady_Sugarcookie
    Options
    Been yo-yoing for 4 years now, each time I lost the weight I gain it all back plus more! Stupid desk job >.> *grumble*

So here I am again.... ;)

Yeah a desk job is my worst fear!! I wait tables and am a bored eater!! Find something else to do with your hands.. stress ball one of those grip thingys even a thigh master!
  • haislip93
    Options
    yo-yo dieting for me is more embarassing. Everytime I lost weight, I would get so much praise then I would gain it back. After a while, they no longer say anything when I lose weight because its like they know I will probably gain it back :neutral_face: