Weigh that thang!

Options
I really do love this idea of eating whatever I want while actively shedding lbs! Its all about proportion size. Calories in...calories out baby!

While this is working efficiently, it sucks that I have to make an educated guess of how much I'm eating or if im truly just eating one serving size.

I've decided that it is time to invest in a food scale. Any good brands out there?
What do you guys use? Or do you just estimate?

Replies

• lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    Options
    I have a Salter scale. They're pretty cheap but still accurate. Only problem with mine is it's fairly small so it gets hard to read the numbers if I set a large plate on top. This seems to be a common size though, and no problems measuring into bowls so it's a minor point.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I admit it, I only opened this thread because I was hoping it was something dirty! Or maybe it was going to be one of the "29 dimensions" of Eharmony or something...I kid, I kid...I am going to get a new food scale myself so I'm marking my spot here to see what people say.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Have a Ozeri Pronto. Only one i have had so i have no comparisons but it works great.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I just bought a digital food scale at Walmart. It's been working for me for about a year now, zero issues. I think I spent about $20, maybe?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have an Ozeri Touch Professional Digital Kitchen Scale (11 lb Edition), Tempered Glass. I originally bought a $20 one from walmart, but the way it was designed made it hard to read the display when larger plates were set on it. Then after about the first 1 month, it started eating batteries. I was getting the Lo battery warning every 2 weeks. Found the Ozeri on amazon in August 2013 and have been using it since. I think I've replaced the batteries 3 times total (my oldest likes to turn it on and off >.<). I also buy the batteries from amazon, because it's cheaper then going to walmart for them ($2-6 with free shipping for 5 vs $5+ tax for 2).
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    lolly715 wrote: »
    I have a Salter scale. They're pretty cheap but still accurate. Only problem with mine is it's fairly small so it gets hard to read the numbers if I set a large plate on top. This seems to be a common size though, and no problems measuring into bowls so it's a minor point.

My Salter is 10 years old, only on its second battery and I love it. It's reasonably priced, does what I need it to do and remains accurate :)
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I admit it, I only opened this thread because I was hoping it was something dirty! Or maybe it was going to be one of the "29 dimensions" of Eharmony or something...I kid, I kid...I am going to get a new food scale myself so I'm marking my spot here to see what people say.

Me too, darn it! Oh, well. I bought something from Amazon with good ratings. Whatever you get, make sure it's got a good "tare" function and goes from oz to grams.
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    This is the one I have- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENEFS1K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like it really well personally and haven't had any problems. It seems to be very accurate and I like the size because it is small enough to keep on my counter without taking up a ton of space.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I just bought the cheapest one they happened to have at Bed Bath and Beyond when hubs and I happened to be there for kitchen supplies he wanted to support his paleo habit. So there was not much thought required just grabbed the one with the smallest price tag and threw it in the basket.

Turns out it's pretty accurate and steady. I rarely have to reset it and the dish comes off the top for washing so I just set it to zero with the dish on once and it's stayed at that setting for a really long time.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I use a Taylor digital scale, it comes with a stainless steal bowl, so you can easily pour in chips, cereal, liquids, etc.
  • hazmat1212
    hazmat1212 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale $19.95 arrived today!
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CM8TZC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

weighed components of dinner tonite and what an awakening!
    >^,,^<
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I havean Ozeri, but it is a bit small. I'm planning on buying something that can fit a dinner sized plate and still leave the readout visible. Target has a nice looking bamboo one that I have been eyeing
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I got an Escali digital scale, the Pana - Bakers Model (http://www.escali.com/pana-baking-kitchen-scale). It's one of my most used kitchen tools.

It has been great since I started MFP a year ago. Besides the basic pound, ounce, and grams - it can also measure volume. For example: I weigh out my morning cereal in grams, then enter '59' code for milk and pour in 1/2 C.
    Really cuts down on washing measuring cups.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    lolly715 wrote: »

I also have a Salter, but either my luck with scales is terrible (this is my THIRD one!) or I put the batteries in wrong... but the battery life is crap.

thinking of buying escali, Eat Smart, or Ozeri.