Options
124»

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I've never heard that bread, rice specifically should be 1/4 of the place.
    "my plate" (the government) suggests 1/4 of the plate be grains. So it's a logical conclusion.
    1/4 plate does not mean literally taking up 1/4 of the plate's surface.

One of my favorite dinner foods is vegetarian chicken tenders. They're battered in whole grains. I dip them in Italian dressing. That meal has a ton of carbohydrates (40+ grams)/grains. Most things people eat are not purely broken into the categories shown on choosemyplate.gov.

I just went to that site and find it odd that dairy is only allowed to be served in a glass. I don't like having my cheese in a glass.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I've never heard that bread, rice specifically should be 1/4 of the place.
    "my plate" (the government) suggests 1/4 of the plate be grains. So it's a logical conclusion.
    1/4 plate does not mean literally taking up 1/4 of the plate's surface.

One of my favorite dinner foods is vegetarian chicken tenders. They're battered in whole grains. I dip them in Italian dressing. That meal has a ton of carbohydrates (40+ grams)/grains. Most things people eat are not purely broken into the categories shown on choosemyplate.gov.

I just went to that site and find it odd that dairy is only allowed to be served in a glass. I don't like having my cheese in a glass.

Sometimes I eat my yogurt out of a glass, but usually only when I'm out of clean bowls.

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    it's not necessary to have carbs at every meal. I eat them, but I usually try to eat them earlier in the day along with my fruit. once or twice a week I will have them for dinner. But if you're going to have them, brown rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown bread - never ever ever ever white anything! It's crap.

Can you please explain what makes white rice, white bread or regular potatoes crap? Be specific.

100+ year old Asians are being slooowly killed by them

SO what about 100 year smokers - would you then say that smoking is good for you!

I think every society have people that live to a ripe old age, I'm not sure that advocates anything!!

Is smoking a commonality amongst 100 year olds? Last I check it wasn't. The dietary commonalities amongst the longest living, healthiest populations are highcarb/starch, plant -based diets.

I don't agree that smoking can ever be good for you but my grandfather was 94 and smoked since he was 11. I wonder sometimes if it was because he rolled his own cigarettes.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't think the OP's question was whether or not one needs to eat carbs but whether or not one needs to eat carbs at every meal. The answer to that is "no".

I was brought up believing that a meal needed to contain a lean protein, a starchy side dish and a vegetable. I think a lot of us older folk were. Nowadays, I usually serve my family a lean protein, a green salad and a vegetable. Are there nights where dinner comes with potatoes or rice? Certainly! But I no longer believe that every meal must contain something starchy in order for it to be a "proper meal".
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I was brought up believing that a meal needed to contain a lean protein, a starchy side dish and a vegetable. I think a lot of us older folk were.

Dinner, sure, although it didn't have to be lean. That's still my understanding of the standard American diet, meat, potatoes, and a veg, although somehow it seems to mean fast food or something to people today.

Standard lunch was a sandwich often enough that I guess that counts too.

Never heard anyone claim you needed a starch/grains at breakfast although obviously bread or cereal are common enough then.

I agree with you that it's obviously not necessary at any meal, let alone all three, however. I eat plenty of starchy carbs, but don't feel like they are ever required for a meal.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else has said. The only reason you might want to be careful is if your body's blood sugar is sensitive to carbs, or you have a family history of diabetes or related diseases. My blood sugar can go a bit crazy if I have a starch-loaded meal, but that's just me.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a French baguette right now and it's delicious! Everything in moderation!

I just started drooling a little
  • Southern_Doll
    Options
    Your worried about the added things in white rice or whitening process when brown rice has a higher concentration of arsenic. Just saying...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    jeansuza wrote: »
    Question: Health-wise, if you eat enough proteins, lots of veggies and fruits, some milk or yogurt, do you really need to eat rice, potatoes or bread at every meal? I use to hear that they should be 1/4 of your plate, but is this just propaganda?
    You never "need" to eat starchy carbs. You can. But you never "need to". You certainly never "need" to eat refined grains (store bought bread, pastas etc).
    I eat bread *maybe* once a week, if that, and when I do it's 100% whole grain. I eat some brown rice (+- 1 cup a week?). I eat a sweet potato once a month or so. I eat 100% whole grain pasta once every few weeks or so.
    I get plenty of carbs from fruits, veggies and dairy.

I do
    You "need" to? ok.

For performance purposes, yes.

if you say so. I've seen some great stuff from low carbers, and lots from folks who don't eat grains at all. But sure, if you do for your intense exercise or body building or whatever, ok.
    Does the OP? probably not.

That's why I said, "I do" and not "OP does". The material out there comparing low carb diets of athletes to those which consume carbohydrate rich diets is weighted heavily in favor of the latter.
    I do, and I'm not a bodybuilder. Just based on my own observation, I personally need some carb source in every meal or I end up shaky and nauseated 1-2 hours after I eat. It doesn't have to be grains or potatoes -- any kind of vegetable, fruit or starch is fine -- but my body says carbs are necessary for me.

So any kind of vegetable...fruit.... I never said carbs weren't necessary. Read my reply.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    it's not necessary to have carbs at every meal. I eat them, but I usually try to eat them earlier in the day along with my fruit. once or twice a week I will have them for dinner. But if you're going to have them, brown rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown bread - never ever ever ever white anything! It's crap.

Cauliflower?!? Snowflakes? Pizza crust?

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Technically you don't *need* to eat any particular thing. You need to eat a good assembly of things, but not one particular thing. Ultimately, what that assembly is depends on your taste buds, culture, and macro goals (if any).