How much baby spinach is a vegetable portion

Options
I tried google, but I can't seem to find a clear answer.
I am making spinach smoothies in the morning and I'm using 175g of baby spinach.

How much vegetable portion is that?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This site says 3 handfuls or 80g ......so you're at about 2 servings.

http://oneserving.com/oneserving/raw-baby-spinach/

Using MFP you log all the food you put in your mouth....so 175g is what you log. It really doesn't matter if it's 1 vegetable or 2. You try to meet macros (protein, fat & carbs) ....add fiber tracking if you want to track that. I track fiber (not sugar)....veggies are great for bumping fiber counts.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The US standard is 2 cups of raw leafy vegetables for a serving. 1 cup of raw non-leafy vegetables, and 1/2 cup of cooked vegetables.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    TinyJimbo wrote: »
    I tried google, but I can't seem to find a clear answer.
    I am making spinach smoothies in the morning and I'm using 175g of baby spinach.

How much vegetable portion is that?

Considering that's about 4 cups and 4 cups is a whopping 40 calories, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I see the database here has measurements in cups and grams so you can get it as close as you want. ie.. if you are being THAT specific about it or want to track your micros that close
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    Options
    If you're talking about servings in the whole "5/7 a day" thing... typically a serving of any fresh fruit or veg is 80g. BUT in a smoothie, you can only count a maximum of 1 serving per fruit/veg according to the guidelines here in the UK.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    lolly715 wrote: »
    If you're talking about servings in the whole "5/7 a day" thing... typically a serving of any fresh fruit or veg is 80g. BUT in a smoothie, you can only count a maximum of 1 serving per fruit/veg according to the guidelines here in the UK.

That's odd. Why is that?
  • Lillyrose125
    Lillyrose125 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I believe 1 cup is a leafy green serving. 1/2 cup for string beans or broccoli.
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    Options
    lolly715 wrote: »

That's odd. Why is that?

To be honest, I'm not sure as they don't really go into much detail. But I am assuming it is because blending breaks down the fibres.
  • DeannaLynnPerkins
    DeannaLynnPerkins Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) states that 1 C of leafy veggies is 1 serving. 1 C of raw spinach = 30 g...that means you're almost eating 6 servings of vegetables in your smoothie alone! O_o Awesome job!
  • TinyJimbo
    TinyJimbo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I was wondering as I'm trying to count my fruit and vegetable portions.