Cardio and Strength Training?

Options
I am new to my weight loss journey and know that I need both cardio and strength training to get the best/most efficent workout. However, I am curious whether or not I need to have days devoted to cardio and days devoted to strength training or if I can do them both in the same day. It seems a lot of people have "cardio days" and "weight days" and I'm curious what the reasoning is behind splitting them up and if its necessary? I tend to enjoy cardio more and seem to be lost when it comes to my strength training. I know I need to work on my weight routine, but at this point I'm not really sure what to do and how to make a strength routine that will take me a full hour or so to complete. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends. I do cardio and weight train on the same days, but I have hours between sessions as I will do my cardio work in the morning and lift in the evening...plenty of time to get fresh for my lifts.

The reason people keep them separate is to maximize the FITNESS benefits of their workout. You can't maximize a heavy lifting session for example if you're already tired from running 10 miles...conversely, you're not going to have the greatest run of your life after an hour of Oly-lifting with heavy snatches and clean and jerks.

In terms of what you should do, you should look into actual routines that are already programmed for you...trying to program your own routine is largely going to be a waste of your time and efforts. Look into New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Curves...something along those lines...both are great general fitness resistance programs. If you prefer more traditional strength training (not all resistance training is "strength" training...it's an actual thing) then look into programs like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5...both are good beginner strength programs.
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I'll definitely look into your suggestions.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I do light cardio on my lifting days, mostly just to create a little larger deficit. I devote one day to a longer cardio session. You can do whatever you want. My only thing is I must lift first, cardio second. That didn't matter until the weight got heavy though.
  • splashtree5
    splashtree5 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I do cardio after strength training

• indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I do light cardio on my lifting days, mostly just to create a little larger deficit. I devote one day to a longer cardio session. You can do whatever you want. My only thing is I must lift first, cardio second. That didn't matter until the weight got heavy though.

^^THIS
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Both are not necessary.

There are plenty of healthy people that do one or the other.
    Depends on personal goals

I do both, on different days.

M/W/F lift
    T/T/S/S cardio
  • indianwin2001
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Both are not necessary.

M/W/F lift
    T/T/S/S cardio

Both are not necessary BUT they go hand in hand-- imo
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Both are not necessary.

M/W/F lift
    T/T/S/S cardio

again depends on personal goals.
  • indianwin2001
    Options
    Both are not necessary.

M/W/F lift
    T/T/S/S cardio

again depends on personal goals.

True
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I do some cardio everyday and strength train 3-4 days a week. It really depends on your goals.

29509743.png

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It depends. I do cardio and weight train on the same days, but I have hours between sessions as I will do my cardio work in the morning and lift in the evening...plenty of time to get fresh for my lifts.

The reason people keep them separate is to maximize the FITNESS benefits of their workout. You can't maximize a heavy lifting session for example if you're already tired from running 10 miles...conversely, you're not going to have the greatest run of your life after an hour of Oly-lifting with heavy snatches and clean and jerks.

In terms of what you should do, you should look into actual routines that are already programmed for you...trying to program your own routine is largely going to be a waste of your time and efforts. Look into New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Curves...something along those lines...both are great general fitness resistance programs. If you prefer more traditional strength training (not all resistance training is "strength" training...it's an actual thing) then look into programs like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5...both are good beginner strength programs.

Nailed it, really good post

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I do a 10-15 minute warm up on the elliptical before lifting.

A few times per month I do some conditioning/endurance training if I am not able to make it out hiking or biking for recreation.

Weight lifting has more cardio/vascular benefits than it gets credit for.
  • seththealmighty
    seththealmighty Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I used to do cardio in the mornings and weights in the afternoon or during lunch break, but now I am trying trendy fitness routines for the first time. The Insanity / P90X hybrid workout has me too tired to want to throw in weights also. I'd be too afraid of how weak/sore I would be for the next day's workout. lol
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    The answer really depends on what your goal is....If you want to lose fat then excessive cardio can be counter productive. I would do five to ten minutes of light cardio before lifting as you will lift better warmed up and reduce the chance of injury. then after lifting do 15 to 20 mins of steady state low intensity cardio. Low intensity cardio burns a higher proportion of fat to carbs and as you've depleted your carbs lifting it allows you to continue exercising ... If you want to do high intensity cardio I would do it on a different day to when you're lifting.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'll generally play basketball on days that I do not lift. If I lift before playing, I get blown by all the time because I am tired. If I play before lifting, I can't maximize my strength because I am tired.

So I alternate days.
  • drlaugh4u
    Options
    I started with light lifting, then moved to heavier. (I moved too fast)
    Then I was into cardio a lot. 4-6 spin classes a week. Now I have toned it down to 3 cardio classes and light weights. The light weights also includes push ups and yoga stretches.(Cow and Cat mostly between push up sets)
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    While my ulcerative colitis is in remission, I still retain body inflammation. That means, I HAVE to do cardio first (at least 30 minutes) to fully warm up my muscles. Otherwise, I truly cannot lift weights. So ...

I do at least 30 minutes of cardio on the elliptical for 6 days a week. I have two personal training sessions a week on Mondays and Thursdays so on the off days, I will alternate body parts - arms and abs one day and legs and abs on another day. If I am overly sore from a prior workout, I may bump up the cardio and forgo the weights OR I do regular cardio and weights but only lift half as much weight per machine to stretch things out a bit.
  • Matp75
    Matp75 Posts: 67 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The answer really depends on what your goal is....If you want to lose fat then excessive cardio can be counter productive. I would do five to ten minutes of light cardio before lifting as you will lift better warmed up and reduce the chance of injury. then after lifting do 15 to 20 mins of steady state low intensity cardio. Low intensity cardio burns a higher proportion of fat to carbs and as you've depleted your carbs lifting it allows you to continue exercising ... If you want to do high intensity cardio I would do it on a different day to when you're lifting.
    You really should research this statement... The general thought now is that is a myth. High intensity burns more overall calories thus 30 min of high intensity will burn more fat cals than 30 min of low intensity... However I subscribe to the hiit cardio theory

• philwrightfitness
    Options
    Matp75 wrote: »
    You really should research this statement... The general thought now is that is a myth. High intensity burns more overall calories thus 30 min of high intensity will burn more fat cals than 30 min of low intensity... However I subscribe to the hiit cardio theory

You should read my statement more carefully, what you said is correct but I wasn't comparing different types of intensity... Low intensity cardio burns a greater proportion of fat to carbs....fact! You are confusing this with the fat burning zone myth.