Quit trying to intimidate with big words

Options

Replies

• sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    I am disinclined to aquiesce to your request.

What the hell? Do you even lift?

Wrong website guy.

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    It amuses me that some people here claim to have huge vocabularies yet don't seem to understand the meanings of the words 'sarcasm' and 'humour'.

Canadian or British, or just like using superfluous u's?

British ^-^
  • Cornishpirates
    Options
    This is a very cromulent post.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    d28b8184ff7687a094c9daff4102f798.jpg
  • ravenribbs
    ravenribbs Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Looks like I need to go learn how to pronounicate my vocabules better.....
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    The fact that you think people use "big" words in an effort to make you feel inferior says way more about you than it ever will about them.

I love words. I love reading about words, learning new words and learning the etymology of words.

This. If you don't understand what someone is saying, maybe it's a hint that you should pick up a dictionary or go to school to further your education/expand your knowledge.
    Do you speak Swahili? Cause if you don't understand what some guy speaking Swahili says, that speaks more about you than it does about him.

Maybe you should go back to school and learn some Swahili. Just sayin'.

• Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Options
    I noticed some posters around here are trying to bully others by using big words we/I don't understand. That's not going to work, we are pretty smart and figure things out too

We should all be here to support each other on our journeys

If we were friends I would be getting you a dictionary for Christmas. Jusssayin.

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    It amuses me that some people here claim to have huge vocabularies yet don't seem to understand the meanings of the words 'sarcasm' and 'humour'.

Canadian or British, or just like using superfluous u's?

Or just like spelling things correctly? ;)

But seriously, if you have access to this site, you have access to google. Look up the word or phrase you don't know and learn something. Ffs
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Joannah700 wrote: »
    tibby531 wrote: »
    feralX wrote: »
    Joannah700 wrote: »
    Hippopotamus is a big word. It has many letters and many syllables. I feel like we don't talk enough about hippopotamuses around here.
    I'm with you...I find it exceedingly difficult to have a serious hippopotamus conversation these days. I blame the internet.

is it hippopotamuses or hippopotomi?

Both are acceptable. But hippopotamuses is much more fun to say. So I choose you hippopatamuses!

6287928912_9bb94815f8.jpg

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas, only a hippopotamus will do...

No crocodiles, or rhinocerusesesesesesessssss....
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Almost a bingo!! LOL!!

OP just rage quit!!! ;)
  • Cornishpirates
    Options
    BiodegradableWeakFattaileddunnart.gif
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Options
    idgaf14 wrote: »
    I noticed some posters around here are trying to bully others by using big words we/I don't understand. That's not going to work, we are pretty smart and figure things out too

We should all be here to support each other on our journeys

If we were friends I would be getting you a dictionary for Christmas. Jusssayin.

A crush is one thing. But the way you are stalking me makes me wonder...

Don't be afeared of my considerable ... utterances.

• catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Just break up.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't big words be all capital? How else would they be big????
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    'I’ve taken to long-distance walking as a means of dissolving the mechanised matrix which compresses the space-time continuum, and decouples human from physical geography. So this isn’t walking for leisure -- that would be merely frivolous, or even for exercise -- which would be tedious. No, to underscore the seriousness of my project I like a walk which takes me to a meeting or an assignment; that way I can drag other people into my eotechnical world view. ‘How was your journey?’ they say. ‘Not bad,’ I reply. ‘Take long?’ they enquire. ‘About ten hours,’ I admit. ‘I walked here.’ My interlocutor goggles at me; if he took ten hours to get here, they’re undoubtedly thinking, will the meeting have to go on for twenty? As Emile Durkheim so sagely observed, a society’s space-time perceptions are a function of its social rhythm and its territory. So, by walking to the business meeting I have disrupted it just as surely as if I’d appeared stark naked with a peacock’s tail fanning out from my buttocks while mouthing Symbolist poetry'

Will Self, Psychogeography: Disentangling the Modern Conundrum of Psyche and Place

This man makes me laugh and rage quit in equal measure.
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think they're only capital if they're proper names...like Ouagadougou, Berkina Faso. Otherwise, I think they can be little, even if they're big.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Plm78KRTvaqQ0.gif
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    There are two kinds of people: those who are intimidated by big words and insecure about it; and those who embrace what they don't know and view "big words" as an opportunity to expand their vocabulary.

Personally I love it when someone uses a word I don't recognize, I'll look it up and "voila!", I've learned something new.

Your muscles aren't the only body part that needs exercise, after all...