Donating Platelets (,or Blood, or Plasma) and Calorie Loss

Options

Replies

• JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Ooh have them take out 2 pints next time to really jack up the calorie burn. Now you can go to Taco Bell and not feel bad.

(this was a joke btw)
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I find it a litte annoying that there is no calorie allowance for donating blood. The juice and cookies they give at the clinic are high in sugar, and can leave me hungry, despite taking up 250 of my 1200 calorie allowance. Also, you have to make sure to fit in your workout before you donate, in case you feel to wimpy to do one after, and end up missing out on those calories. Last time I brought a Happy Planet juice (has iron to help repenish the blood supply) and trail mix so that I had more nutrition/protein with my post-donation snack (as a diabetic I'm supposed to couple carbs with protein).

You need the sugar after you donate blood which is why they give it to you. If you don't get something in you afterwards you can pass out (ask me how I know. Nothing more embarrassing than having the bell rung and a big gurney rushed over to you as your head hits the table).

And you're not supposed to do strenuous exercise after you give blood because your body needs the rest time to replenish what was taken. It has nothing to do with feeling "wimpy" afterwards. You can do something light like walking and such but no lifting or anything strenuous.

As for the "calorie burn" it seems ridiculous to count it.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    It's like counting the calorie burns on days when I have to walk to the bathroom more often when I normally do.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Gamer_2k4 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    People often donate platelets as a funding source.

Don't call it "donating" if you're getting money for it. Donating means doing it for free.
    Ok. Thank you captain dictionary.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Don't call it "donating" if you're getting money for it. Donating means doing it for free.

So then what would you call it? You're providing the platelets therefore you are a donor ergo you are donating them regardless if you're getting paid for it.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

So then what would you call it? You're providing the platelets therefore you are a donor ergo you are donating them regardless if you're getting paid for it.

A donation is, by definition, something done without monetary compensation. It appears they just decided to keep the word "donor" for everyone whether or not they are being paid for it.

I would call giving platelets for money a sale, not a donation.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    I find it a litte annoying that there is no calorie allowance for donating blood. The juice and cookies they give at the clinic are high in sugar, and can leave me hungry, despite taking up 250 of my 1200 calorie allowance. Also, you have to make sure to fit in your workout before you donate, in case you feel to wimpy to do one after, and end up missing out on those calories. Last time I brought a Happy Planet juice (has iron to help repenish the blood supply) and trail mix so that I had more nutrition/protein with my post-donation snack (as a diabetic I'm supposed to couple carbs with protein).

I've read that a plasma donation burns about 450 calories, and a whole blood donation 650, both from the macro nutrients in the blood (at least 84 grams of protein, plus a very small amount of glucose and fat) and from the metabolic effect of making that blood. The red cross website states a plasma donation is replenished in 2 days (which is why you can donate plasma once a week for up to 24 weeks a year), meaning an extra 225 calories used by the body/day for 2 days. A whole blood donation takes more like 4-6 weeks, but it would make sense that that replacing the plasma would take about the same time for both donations, and consume about the same amount of calories.

The physical impact of giving blood is felt mostly on the day of donation, and it feels like more than 20 calories worth. It would be nice to have an extra 200 calorie allowance built into the day, so that those who donate aren't eating back the whole calorie impact, but can still have a little something so they don't spend the day after a donation feeling crashed out, cranky, and hungry.

With 60lbs already lost and about 60 more to go, you can eat more than 1200 calories.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Can't you just do something selfless without thinking about how many calories you're burning while doing so? I mean, really. My first thought would be "I could potentially be saving lives by donating blood", not "I wonder how many calories this burns!"

• congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Have you noticed your platelet count has dropped with your weight loss? My count used to be 225 and now is at about 180, so the hospital has told me my count is too low for platelets.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Ok. Thank you captain dictionary.

but that is the internet mantra to go off topic and pick on grammar, syntax, and use the the English language.
  • crookback
    crookback Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Does this also work for loss of other bodily fluids? I may be entitled to an extra almond or two. o:)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the "calorie cost" of donating blood is not the expenditure of actually giving blood, but the extra expenditure of replacing all the red blood cells. So, if that 600 or so number is correct, the extra expenditure is spread out over several weeks. The food and fluid replacement afterwards is meant primarily to maintain blood sugar levels and restore plasma volume, not to make up for calories expended.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Calorie Burn = Energy Expenditure..... What part of losing body fluids has to do with converting calories into energy?

The part where the body needs to replace said bodily fluids. What, you think you generate blood from nothing?

Newsflash, folks, if your body needs to build tissues, it needs both energy and materials (macros and micros) that might otherwise have been metabolized for energy to do it.

Obviously you don't burn much from repairing a skinned knee. Women don't burn much from their period - I mean a couple of tablespoons of tissue is nothing. Plus, much of that isn't replaced for a while anyway.

A couple of pints of blood, though, would probably be more than a blip, though I don't know that it'd be enough to bother logging. I'd guess it'd take care of the post-donation cookie and juice, and that's about it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Gosh this is great - who knew that medical procedures burned calories!? Is there an entry in the database for colonoscopies, child birth, organ donation? Although those last two sort of automatically result in weight loss, so I wouldn't want to double dip my calorie burn...

If this were true I'd have been a supermodel years ago.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

You need the sugar after you donate blood which is why they give it to you. If you don't get something in you afterwards you can pass out (ask me how I know. Nothing more embarrassing than having the bell rung and a big gurney rushed over to you as your head hits the table).

And you're not supposed to do strenuous exercise after you give blood because your body needs the rest time to replenish what was taken. It has nothing to do with feeling "wimpy" afterwards. You can do something light like walking and such but no lifting or anything strenuous.

As for the "calorie burn" it seems ridiculous to count it.

Agreed. The nurse looked at me like I was an idiot when I asked if I could go to the gym that evening after giving blood. I did do aerobics the next morning and my friend commented that I looked tired and pale and it was definitely harder work than usual.

I ate crisps after I gave blood. I still nearly passed out though, but I have low blood pressure anyway.

I really wouldn't worry about having extra calories after giving blood/platelets etc. It's an amazing thing to do. My mum has had leukaemia and wouldn't be here today if it weren't for blood and platelet donations, so I'm grateful to anyone who donates.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Calorie Burn = Energy Expenditure..... What part of losing body fluids has to do with converting calories into energy?

The part where the body needs to replace said bodily fluids. What, you think you generate blood from nothing?

Newsflash, folks, if your body needs to build tissues, it needs both energy and materials (macros and micros) that might otherwise have been metabolized for energy to do it.

Obviously you don't burn much from repairing a skinned knee. Women don't burn much from their period - I mean a couple of tablespoons of tissue is nothing. Plus, much of that isn't replaced for a while anyway.

A couple of pints of blood, though, would probably be more than a blip, though I don't know that it'd be enough to bother logging. I'd guess it'd take care of the post-donation cookie and juice, and that's about it.

We can't be friends.
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Can't you just do something selfless without thinking about how many calories you're burning while doing so? I mean, really. My first thought would be "I could potentially be saving lives by donating blood", not "I wonder how many calories this burns!"
    ^^^^ this.

I donated blood today and the last thing on my mind was "I wonder how much this burns off".....it's a gift for a stranger in need.

Maybe one day I might need a pint or two. :o

• Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    Lol I'm having a giggle at this post. But it's interesting right! I'm loving the extra few tic tacs comment:-) I dunno really but I'm just pleased that you are giving away your platelets. You rock :-)
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to why some folk are mocking the OP for asking about cals burned while giving blood, when people are in general agreement that breastfeeding burns calories; same deal, no? You sit reasonably still while fluid is sucked out of you that your body will work to replenish. What am I missing? I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I'm genuinely wondering.

On a totally unrelated note, I so wish I could give blood, it's such a good thing to do. :(
  • CDSValentine8690
    CDSValentine8690 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is a stupid question at all. After blood donations (especially right after), it's common to feel fatigued/hungry/dehydrated. After donating double red blood, I give myself an extra 250-500 calories, depending on how I feel. It's not about, "Woo hoo I earned more calories! Donating blood is exercise!" It's more about trying to bounce back afterwards. That said, it's not like blood/platelet donation means that you immediately have to replenish those calories. Your body will naturally replenish the platelets in about 7-14 days. Over those 7-14 days, the process of creating new platelets/stabilizing your body back to its normal platelet count probably does not use very much energy. If you're feeling weak after donating, I suggest upping your fluids and eating at/near maintenance levels.

I don't know where the rest of this thread went wrong but I thank you for your reply. As I tried to say in my second post on this thread, I'm not looking to gain free calories, I simply had a question and thought that this community would be best to answer. Anyways, most of these other posts made me chuckle; I'm not sure if they were trying to insult me or simply make some humor out of what even I admit was an easily answered question and almost silly to ask in the first place.