Weird question about cravings.

Options
Hyspin
Hyspin Posts: 76 Member
edited November 2014 in Food and Nutrition
I noticed when I do a day of majorly reducing my sugar intake that I really crave meat ( specifically red meat, worse bacon). It is really bizarre, because when this craving comes over me and eat a little meat I become ravenous.

What in hell is going on? Why do I crave meat so badly from avoiding high sugar foods?

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I just want to know how bacon is worse? Bacon is my priority 1 proteins.
  • tayortoeknee
    tayortoeknee Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Red meats spike your blood sugar a whole bunch, I guess your body probably knows that and wants to get something like that in its system asap.
  • Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bacon is awesome, you should eat the bacon
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Red meats spike your blood sugar a whole bunch, I guess your body probably knows that and wants to get something like that in its system asap.

maybe if the meat has some kind of glaze or bbq sauce, but otherwise i believe you are mistaken. meat in itself is ranked very low on the glycemic index, if at all.
  • 0utrun
    0utrun Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Red meat cravings mean you are low on iron. Some other iron rich foods are beans, lentils and leafy greens like kale, spinach, etc.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    ^^^ my thought too. Low iron my mother always tells me.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    c4rtr4t wrote: »

maybe if the meat has some kind of glaze or bbq sauce, but otherwise i believe you are mistaken. meat in itself is ranked very low on the glycemic index, if at all.

Yeah. Basically reality is 180 degrees from what Tayor w/e said.

OP - you low in iron? Do you find your hair grows a little faster when the moon is full? Do you watch a certain scene in the matrix and say to yourself, yeah... that's juicy and I want some.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

OP - you low in iron? Do you find your hair grows a little faster when the moon is full? Do you watch a certain scene in the matrix and say to yourself, yeah... that's juicy and I want some.

MatrixTrinity.jpg

Yes. Yes, I do.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lol. I meant the steak scene.
  • megala65
    megala65 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't know the correlation between sugar denial and red meat cravings, but my diabetic father-in-law has trouble denying his sweet tooth so he eats something high in protein after indulging said sweet tooth. Apparently it helps keep his blood sugar from going crazy. Maybe dessert should be eaten first. lol
  • Hyspin
    Options
    I just want to know how bacon is worse? Bacon is my priority 1 proteins.

I meant to say that especially crave red meat but even more than red meat I crave bacon.
  • Hyspin
    Options

Bacon is awesome isn't it!
  • Hyspin
    edited November 2014
    Options
    maxresdefault.jpg
    dbmata wrote: »

MatrixTrinity.jpg

Yes. Yes, I do.

Did you mean this scene?

maxresdefault.jpg
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Ummm... Bacon.. and HAM are both cured with SALT... it isn't the meat.. it's the salt you rafter.. DUH...
  • Hyspin
    Options
    0utrun wrote: »
    Red meat cravings mean you are low on iron. Some other iron rich foods are beans, lentils and leafy greens like kale, spinach, etc.

I have iron pills I could start taking them again but my doctor said it wasn't necessary now based on my blood work.
  • jaredgratrix
    jaredgratrix Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    MFP needs a like button...
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Most often when you crave something specific it has something in it that your body is looking for (like iron, etc.). When I was pregnant forever ago I read an article about weird cravings pregnant women have and that was the explanation - your body's looking for something that a specific food will provide.

eta: I liked my steaks charred before pregnancy and somewhere towards the end I wanted them all medium rare (closer to rare). Not sure what I was needing then, but it hasn't changed back to charred. I was growing twin vampires in there, apparently.
  • Hyspin
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    ^^^ my thought too. Low iron my mother always tells me.

I would have guess that if didn't happen when I missing sugar. If I have my regular sugar intake meet is not even an after thought. Only on days when I decide to keep my sugar intake low.
    And blood work indicates that booth iron levels and blood sugar are normal.
  • Hyspin
    edited November 2014
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    Ummm... Bacon.. and HAM are both cured with SALT... it isn't the meat.. it's the salt you rafter.. DUH...

Steak isn't cured with salt. Plus I said specifically bacon because normally don't feel for any other form of ham.

But if it is salt I am after why don't I crave something with higher salt payoff like cheese or chips?
  • Hyspin
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    Most often when you crave something specific it has something in it that your body is looking for (like iron, etc.). When I was pregnant forever ago I read an article about weird cravings pregnant women have and that was the explanation - your body's looking for something that a specific food will provide.

eta: I liked my steaks charred before pregnancy and somewhere towards the end I wanted them all medium rare (closer to rare). Not sure what I was needing then, but it hasn't changed back to charred. I was growing twin vampires in there, apparently.

I guess that could be it. I wonder what about red meat or especially bacon that I get that I can't get from any other of my foods.